New CBS 2 Logo?

Geoffrey

It appears there is now a crawl on the bottom of the screen for every CBS 2 newscast. I don't know if I really like that on the afternoon and evening newscasts. It is more for the morning newscasts when people are in a hurry getting ready.

I hate the ticker at all times of the day. I haven't been paying close attention but I wonder if the ticker is there just for the Times Square thing and isn't intended to be permanent. Interestingly, the last time a nice graphics look was "dumbed down" (August 2006), there was also a ticker on the evening newscasts, but only for a few days.

Actually, I hate the ticker in the morning, too. I ignore it for the most part and I bet that most people do as well. I'd much rather have something more graphical... Remember the Info Box and Info Bar? I liked how the weather was more eye-catching with icons instead of having to read moving text.

It looks like CBS 2 is trying to copy the cable news channels. First with those single-anchor music-less teases (which looked so bad -- glad they pretty much abandoned that), now with the ticker, and now they type out a sentence for most stories on the lower-thirds. It's just way too much to read.

CBS 2 also seems to be trying to address the readability issues with their lower-thirds. First the text on the name and title L3s were made larger (and it looked ridiculous, in my opinion). Now the top name line has been made slightly smaller again, which looks better. Also, the lower title line as well as the two-line "story sentence" L3s now have a much more solid blue color behind it. I think it looks better but it all looks inconsistent and sloppy to me. Wish they'd have put more thought into this stuff in the first place.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I messed around on paint real quick (excuse the slobby job) but what about doing something like how I have the HD inside the "2" ... makes it look less awkward, no?

(the version I did would of course be modified to look better, etc... just wanted to get the general point across)

spacer.gif.a0b915ae4bdcd4d2b2c527a096dd3ba0.gif

I also do not like the ticker at all... it's fine for the morning newscast, but I find it to be distracting and unnecessary at noon, 5, 6, and 11.

I agree that the graphics, especially the lower thirds, need improvement. What's with the light gray CBS eye on the left side of the "Coming Up" lower thirds and the "headline" lower thirds? It is almost impossible to see the eye. Actually, what's the point of all the extra eyes in the lower thirds? We have an eye in the bug, an eye on the live bug, and an eye on the left side of all lower thirds. We get it... we're watching CBS! It's redundant to have all of the eyes.

And, as far as the regular lower thirds, why not have a consistent font size and background? The single line lower third (for anchor names, locations, etc.) has text that looks way too big (this was recently made much larger, presumably for readability), and the two-line lower thirds now have a full blue background, rather than the translucent black background that they previously had. Again, I assume that this change to the solid blue background was made to make the lower thirds easier to read, but it just looks sloppy and is inconsistent with the other lower thirds.

I think they really need to just start over with the lower thirds so that they can make them consistent. And while they're at it, can't they find something more interesting than Arial? I know that Arial easy to read, but there are other simple fonts out there that are easy to read and have some style, too.

Generally speaking, I find this entire look to be "cold" compared to the previous look. I think it probably has something to do with the fact that the new color scheme (dark blue, gray, black) is much darker than the previous blue and orange look. I think they should have added accents in a contrasting color (maybe yellow or gold?) to brighten the look a bit.

The opens are also a big letdown compared to the previous opens. The shots of the city in the open look nice, but the new CBS 2 News logo and the animation look bland, and the new open graphics do not fit the music as well as the previous look did. At least they are still using the same great cuts of Enforcer.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but I had to vent. The previous look was much nicer, and it's obvious from all of the tweaks that have been made since the new look launched that this new graphics package was not particularly well thought out. I expected better!

As of tonight, it looks like they tweaked the L3's a bit once again. There was blue behind Otis' name when he was introduced & when Dr. Holly filed a report, it was still transparent but with blue underneath where it said CBS2 News....and the ticker was gone(hopefully for good). If anyone wants to see the change, just click the video of Lonnie tonight on http://www.cbsnewyork.com

What are the odds of KDKA getting a similar open?

About as likely as hell freezing over if that happens. If CBS is planning for a full standardization rollout on most, if not all, of their O&Os, it may be coming sooner.

On Friday at 5pm, CBS 2 increased the size of the lower thirds and the bug by about 20-30%, but by last night, everything was back to the normal size.

I really think this package looks terrible... it's a definite downgrade compared to the previous "HDTV" look.

• 2 weeks later...
Methinks the graphics in Boston days are numbered. It would be a big step backward for WBZ, but I could see it happening, now that KCNC has gotten the CBS 2.0 HD treatment.

Hopefully not. Any insiders know exactly how "mandated" this may or may not be??

I doubt they would sabotage WBZ's well-known identity...again. That was a mistake when they changed their name to CBS4, and ratings improved when they rebranded as WBZ. I'm sure WBZ could get an exemption.

The reason why KCNC got the new graphics is because they never dropped the CBS4 branding, and their previous graphics were a bad mix of WBZ's graphics and something reminiscent of KCNC's old CBS look.

Not by much; 'BZ's still getting hammered in all timeslots even with the "Curious" identity.

And the CSD who oversaw the "curious" identity left the station to head up creative services at KABC in Los Angeles, so unfortunately I can see WBZ getting saddled with this look...

And the CSD who oversaw the "curious" identity left the station to head up creative services at KABC in Los Angeles, so unfortunately I can see WBZ getting saddled with this look...

Her replacement is an internal candidate and the GM that was instrumental in the rebrand remains. The campaign is very much alive.

Her replacement is an internal candidate and the GM that was instrumental in the rebrand remains. The campaign is very much alive.

Okay, then that's very, very good!

Archived