New CBS 2 Logo?

Geoffrey

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this a new trend to be rolled out to other CBS O&O's in the coming months?

Well God I only hope that KDKA in Pittsburgh starts using them because it would be a big improvement to the WBBM - circa 2005 graphics they have now! I was really disappointed when they didn't overhaul their graphics when they made the transition to HD last June.

After watching the videos on KCBS's site, I can say much of those new graphics look like they were directly based off WBBM's 2006-08 graphics. The "look" itself is different but the sizes, layouts, setup, fonts, font usage, etc. look almost exactly identical.

As of today, WBBM is still using their Hothaus graphics package. I really wouldn't mind a more simplified look returning to WBBM just as long as it also brings back the full usage of the Enforcer music.

As for the "HD" incorporated into logos, I think it's time for the "HD" to go.. The whole gimmick of "Now broadcasting in HD!" has really died off now and not needed. WBBM dumped the HD bug a couple months from when they started broadcasting in HD. The only sign of it left is on their mic flags.. I wouldn't wanna see an "HD" come back to the logo.

i'm watching it right now, overall I wouldn't say its that bad, its a tad bit of a step back, but then again it looks current. Very reminiscent of their 2006 package when they had the Enforcer music. The Lower Thirds are overly simplified though at thimes they are very difficult to view they need to make it a bit darker.

And as for the HD thing, stations need to start ending that, we're in 2010 now, a new decade. Most people by now know what HD means. Especially when its been in use for nearly 5 years now. The HD portion really looks weird with the logo, they should remove it, other than that, its really not that bad at all it works for them, my only pet peeve right now is just the lower third, its a bit too light and could be hard to see depending on the video in the background.

And as for the HD thing, stations need to start ending that, we're in 2010 now, a new decade.

WRAL amuses me. They started HD news in 2001 and added "in high definition" to their open when they got their GO graphics package a couple years ago.

The L3s used in reports needs to be a bit darker, it's hard to see if you have a light background in the video with the white lettering.

Agree...Kristine was wearing white tonight and when the graphics were over her, you could barely make them out due to the transparent background.

As I am watching this morning, I like what they have done with the crawl. It is a light blue background with white text and a yellow CBS logo. I think they should make the background color on the lower thirds the same so they are easier to read.

I actually like the open, yeah, we got the same thing at KCBS as well, same graphics, same open, same L3's, though KCBS uses WCBS's morning cuts of Enforcer in its evening opens. I would rather them use WCBS's music which I think works really nicely.

I actually think that what WCBS uses as the morning cuts are in fact the main cuts of Enforcer NG2...

Hey...I agree! I have actually thought that CBS 2 in New York has had them flipped for quite a while.

Does CBS 2 not notice how awful their sports ticker looks?

It's not positioned on the screen properly so there's a gap on the right side and half of the WFAN logo gets cut off on the 4:3 screen (and entirely outside of the 4:3 safe area). The MLB/NHL/NBA part is tiny and the rest of the text is huge, often squished, and the text doesn't even stay inside its own "area."

I thought for sure that it was a mistake last night at 11 but it was just as sloppy tonight at 6.

Is anyone at the station watching their broadcasts?

Found this on Google...

I guess this is one of the looks they were going for, but decided not to go with it...

I like it...

29wacev.png

Those actually might be older, I found that website, and the WCBS stuff is right above ad campaigns from 2004 and 2005... I think those eventually got turned in to the old blue graphics from 2006 that were done by Mr. Wonderful.

Found this on Google...

I guess this is one of the looks they were going for, but decided not to go with it...

I like it...

29wacev.png

I think these looks were probably considered in the last graphics change, not in the more recent decision, given that they've dropped the border around "news", in the previous graphics change.

I think these looks were probably considered in the last graphics change, not in the more recent decision, given that they've dropped the border around "news", in the previous graphics change.

I beleive so too, since it incorporates the yellows that the previous package did and I believe CBS 2 wanted their graphics to somewhat relate to CBS News' at the time. Also it says WCBS HD....

I guess they chose to go with Giant Octopus instead of Mr. Wonderful. Even though I loved the Mr. Wonderful look.

I think they may have made the background darker. It's still not great, but it's better.

[YT]D4QPkoBdKuE[/YT]

What's with the choppy video?

As for the darkness of the L3, I don't really see a difference. They should use the one used in the bumpers prior to the commercials ,which is a bit darker than the one used in the reports.

I don't know what happened with the video, I'll take it down. The video doesn't have the darker straps, but I have a cap with a light background that looks substantially darker.

It appears there is now a crawl on the bottom of the screen for every CBS 2 newscast. I don't know if I really like that on the afternoon and evening newscasts. It is more for the morning newscasts when people are in a hurry getting ready.

It appears there is now a crawl on the bottom of the screen for every CBS 2 newscast. I don't know if I really like that on the afternoon and evening newscasts. It is more for the morning newscasts when people are in a hurry getting ready.

Well, honestly people are in a hurry more now, and at several times of the day. For me there's nothing wrong with the ticker in the evening. People want new quick and fast all through out the day.

Its also similar to the Time and Temp Bug that now appears in every broadcast for all of the stations. Normally we used to see Time and Temp bugs in the morning, now they appear on every broadcast.

Archived