New CBS 2 Logo?

Geoffrey

Just noticed a slightly different "CBS 2 HD" logo (instead of "CBS 2 HDTV") appear on wcbstv.com in what looks to be a test because it's telling visitors to watch the noon newscast (it's now just before midnight).

In case it's down by the time you look for it, I posted it here: http://newsbyte2.blogspot.com/2010/04/new-logo-on-way.html

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting find. It's similar to KCBS' logo(they have it at the bottom to the right of the 2).

I think a logo with HD on it is not as necessary as it was years ago, when stations began rolling out HD. It's the norm now and no longer the exception.

I hope that is not the new logo...it looks terribly awkward. Though a new graphic package would be nice. They have had the current package for a while.

From the video on WCBSTV.com, I'm not liking the new graphics. What I didn't like about the old graphics were the font, and they are still using the same font in the new graphics...

Anyone have any more video or HD Pictures of the new look?

I posted some snapshots from the wcbstv.com videos here: http://newsbyte2.blogspot.com/2010/04/cbs-2-news-debuts-news-graphics.html

I'm really not liking this. Looks like a giant step back, at least in terms of the lower-third. The logo bug looks so unbalanced to me with the "HD" just floating. I really wish they'd have dropped the "HD" part completely because pretty much everyone does news in HD now (they might as well say "CBS 2, now in color!").

Remember that cool look they debuted in April 2006? It was the first new look of the Peter Dunn regime. They messed with that a few times and then toward the end of the summer, they simplified the lower-thirds a lot. This new look reminds me of that. I'm wondering if they're back to using Viz again and never quite figured out how to do nice designs with it.

I'm kind of disappointed with this. The previous look was three years old but didn't need to be dumped. Especially not for this.

I posted some snapshots from the wcbstv.com videos here: http://newsbyte2.blogspot.com/2010/04/cbs-2-news-debuts-news-graphics.html

I'm really not liking this. Looks like a giant step back, at least in terms of the lower-third. The logo bug looks so unbalanced to me with the "HD" just floating. I really wish they'd have dropped the "HD" part completely because pretty much everyone does news in HD now (they might as well say "CBS 2, now in color!").

Remember that cool look they debuted in April 2006? It was the first new look of the Peter Dunn regime. They messed with that a few times and then toward the end of the summer, they simplified the lower-thirds a lot. This new look reminds me of that a lot. I'm wondering if they're back to using Viz again and never quite figured out how to do nice designs with it.

I'm kind of disappointed with this. The previous look was three years old but didn't need to dumped. Especially not for this.

This is a lot like the look they had for about a year starting in April 2006. I really liked that look and was a little bit disappointed when they changed them when they debuted in HD in April 2007. In my opinion, it is nice to see a newer version of the older graphics back. Also, I agree, I don't think they need the "HD" there anymore. It has been 3 years since CBS 2 started doing news in HD! Overall, not bad.

Looks like they borrowed the idea of placing their website under their logo, from WNBC.

They're just now doing that? That's been done on stations for a loooooong time... WAVY's been doing it since, like, 2002.

Graphics are a bleh update. Lower thirds could use some more to 'em. That 2006 look was awesome!

They're... interesting. They're certainly not bad, but they're just really bland. They're minimalist, but they're not simple, which is the problem. I'd have preferred something WBBM or WBZ like. Perhaps it's Arial that makes it bad. Why can't they use Helvetica?

Anyone have video of the new opening?

Here is the new 5PM open:

(From NYNewsWATCH)

I LOVE the new open and can't wait to see the 11PM opening!

As I am watching right now, I think they have to darken the font color on the lower thirds because depending on the background video, it is sometimes hard to read what is on the graphics. I also really like the new updated weather graphics.

The lower thirds look like a cheapo version of WBZ and KCNC's, and they clash with the big glossy CBS logo. Arial is out of place on them; it would be interesting to see them use something that isn't that (or Helvetica Neue, it's too generic). Maybe Interstate; WBZ uses it to good effect. Maybe even Whitney, WNBC uses it and it would be interesting to see it on WCBS.

EDIT: NewsJunkie posted his post before mine, and I must say that open looks cheap too. The previous GO open wasn't great, but it was better than that.

C'mon. It's time to dump the "HD" branding already. The 3-sided mic flags with the HD logo, making the main part of the logo off-center look ridiculous. It's looks ridiculous on the WABC mic flags, and if you've ever seen WPVI's current mic flags, they look even more ridiculous. All that space wasted just to stick HD on it.

The new open is a disappointment. I really liked the previous open which fit the music perfectly and had a very majestic feel to it.

I didn't like the new lower thirds when I first saw the caps of them, but seeing them in video, I actually like them. If only they could change the typeface. Arial is just awful. Helvetica would have looked better.

I'm glad they got rid of the gold hues in the graphics.

Looks like KCBS also picked up this same package today! It's got the same open (with downtown LA shots), same L3s, and close to the same bug (with the HD text too).

Sorry to double post, but it looks like you're right. I don't think it quite works for KCBS. That yellow 2 in the bug really sticks out, and the navy of the graphics don't match the cerulean walls of the set.

I haven't seen the open posted on YouTube yet, but you can see the new lower thirds and bug on cbs2.com. I wonder how KCAL looks?

And again, why Arial?

Archived