Anne State out at CBS 2

lazynetjunkie

Wow.. I forgot to check out Phil this morning.

I don't know what the hell is wrong with Fowler not keeping Byron Harlan. I like his anchoring and reporting style. He knows Chicago well and does alot better job delivering the story than some of Fowler's new hires. I got a good feeling she's going to do even more damage in a much worse scale to WFLD than she did with WBBM.

Fowler and Renda have no idea what they're doing and they both are just going to destroy the place. Why break up a team like Byron and Nancy that works well together and has done so for nearly 12 years?

The constant musical chairs of anchors/reporters never brings about the change you are searching for ratings-wise. Don't they get that? So their plan is to dump anyone who's contract is up and bring in a bunch unknowns? Best of luck to them with that because things will only continue to get worse for them.

_______

Anna State never really connected with audience, so I can understand why she was let go.

1. I did mentioned Anne State and there wasn't/isn't more that needs to be said about her. Her departure isn't a shock to anyone.

2. From Feder's blog: "I was working to stay [at Fox], but I knew there was a possibility that I wouldn’t," said Harlan which would suggest [to me] that he wasn't planning on going anywhere. He was just smart enough to have a back-up plan in case he was let go. Good for him and best of luck.

People go off topic on this site all the time...its no big deal.

I'm not going to start a new topic for this one either..

After 30 years at WBBM, Mike Flannery is leaving for WFLD. I wonder what's making him jump ship. Renda/Fowler offer a big mega wad of cash? Probably more than what Jack Connaty wanted. Cohen/Kiernan liked him alot and he wasn't on their chopping block.

Not sure what to make of all of this, but this is a big loss for WBBM. Do they go without a political editor or promote someone (Jay Levine maybe) from within?

With the cuts WFLD has made along with not renewing contracts, there appears to be plenty of money to grab up new people. One has to wonder however if some people (Lum, Zwecker) agreed to a smaller paycheck just to get back to working again. Things are really getting very interesting.

Not sure what to make of all of this, but this is a big loss for WBBM. Do they go without a political editor or promote someone (Jay Levine maybe) from within?

With the cuts WFLD has made along with not renewing contracts, there appears to be plenty of money to grab up new people. One has to wonder however if some people (Lum, Zwecker) agreed to a smaller paycheck just to get back to working again. Things are really getting very interesting.

Things are really getting interesting in Chicago these days..

I don't think it would necessarily be a promotion for Jay Levine that he already holds the title of "Chief Correspondent". I agree Flannery leaving is an extremely big loss for WBBM. It's hard to say what WBBM is going to do. You would think that Jay Levine may shift to political but does the station really want to do that? Doing that may be another loss in a way for WBBM because of the type of stories/reports he already does (questioning government/politics, semi-investigative, bringing out the truth, etc.) which are big winners for CBS 2 News. Would Jay handle be able to handle double duty with what he already does along with being political editor? Maybe they could give the political position to Derrick Blakely.. He has done quite a bit of political coverage while at CBS 2. I know he's still out on medical leave but when he does come back, it may be something that brings him back into the spotlight at the station. I'm sure Flannery leaving frees up alot of money for WBBM.

I'm sure Lum and Zwecker agreed to smaller paychecks just to get working again.. It's the norm now. The days of the lavishly overpaying for talent are over for the most part. Most know how it is out there now and are willing to take pay cuts during contract renewal time just to keep their jobs. Also, most out there out of work are willing accept much less than they've been accustomed to just to get working again.

I'm just not liking the direction they're going with the 9PM newscast.. I don't like the whole interviewing just for the sake of interviewing someone and asking questions just for the sake of asking questions. Like I've said before, it's like they're just interview people and asking questions just for the purpose of making promos. Unless there's purpose to the interview that brings out extra information or new information we don't already know, then there's no point to the interview other than to just fill space during the newscast. Also, if they're going to interview, use the interview set or the anchor desk. That split screen deal with the person being interviewed sitting alone at the interview set, weather center, or newsroom while the anchor is at the desk I think is just plain rude. I don't even know why they do that close up shot in front of the control room and label it as the newsroom.. I think actually seeing the newsroom in the background would be much more interesting instead of a close up of a monitor and a guy constantly scratching his head in the control room. Speaking of promos, I think it's time for them to pull that one promo for FOX Chicago News that still features Bryon Harlan..

For some reason, Dawn Hasbrouck is not working for me.. I know she's from Chicago but it just seems alot of her pronunciations of various Chicago terms are off and she comes across with having a bit of snob attitude. I just think there's something about female talent from the mid-west going out east that just ruins many of them. It was most notable in Lauren Cohn. She was good before she left for Philly but she comes back and comes across as almost being a robotic b*tch.

Am I the only one getting the feeling that Ed Curran may eventually end up at WFLD? For some reason, I can just picture Fowler luring Curran for Good Day Chicago.. I really like Mark Strehl but I don't think Fowler has the same feelings for Strehl. It's hard to say now what will happen. Unless WBBM lets Curran out of his off-air contract early, it's something that's still 14 months away..

I'm sure she'd love to go back to SD.. Any stations there looking for anchors?

KUSI is lookin for an anchor...maybe KSWB?, theres a rumor on TV Spy that Arthel Neville is Swapping FOX 5 SD and headed to NYC to work at FOX. network or affiliate? if it was FOX 5 NY maybe she's taking Reid Lamberty's spot?

from Diann's Facebook:

"Hey there. So, here it is. I am going back on television! The details will be in Stella's column in the Chicago Sun Times tomorrow morning... and on my website overnight. Plus, video tomorrow. I'm extremely happy. It's perfect for me to be able to continue to maintain balance in my life and keep it simple. I love you guys for all the encouragement and support! More later."

Hey Jay Levine filled-in for Rob Johnson last night at 10. I was wondering who they would use since they gave Anne State the boot, and I was pleasantly surprised to see Jay in the role. By my count, it's the first time he's done any sort of anchoring since early 2004 when he filled-in alongside Diann Burns a few times. Did a good job, wonder if he'll do it again tonight...

Speaking of Anne State, I say this management team treated her like crap. Granted she may have ascended too quickly to the top, but she was a very good anchor and it was very easy to like her. She seemed liked the nicest person in the world, my only complaint would actually be that she was a little too perky at times. But I disagree that she didn't connect with viewers, she has many fans.

This Rob Johnson solo thing on every evening newscast is overkill. I'll admit he's good at 10 and he's even won me over a bit. But I don't go near the 6 and now that he's solo at 5, I won't watch that either. Sorry, I don't like him THAT much. Rob Johnson & Roseanne Tellez make a real nice team. They should be the brand if Bill Kurtis & Walter Jacobson don't reunite permanently ;) Roseanne brings Rob and his ego down to planet earth, while I always got the impression that he felt superior to Anne State when they anchored together.

Speaking of Bill Kurtis, what the heck happened to him? He quietly stopped doing his Cold Case Minute. Or at least I haven't seen him in a long time, probably since he & Walter anchored together that Friday night. I don't watch every night that's for sure, but I think I'm right. Anyone know better? I saw that commercial he did for Monsters & Money but that's about it. And I don't even wanna chime-in on that show right now.

Mike Flannery's departure is a HUGE loss to the station. Him leaving really has me scratching my head. Was he unhappy with this new management team? Did Fowler & Fox simply make him an offer he couldn't refuse? If so, why wouldn't Kiernan do all he could to keep him instead of simply making that cold press statement (even though his statement about Anne was much colder)? Does Mike just prefer working for the lowest rated station? I've noticed he's hardly ever on the 10PM news. Maybe that had something to do with it. I dunno, I just can't get over the skeleton crew CBS 2 has and they just keep lettin em go. Sudberry, Lum, Zwecker, Curran, State, and now Flannery since these suits took over and no replacement for any of them. Not to mention the slew Ahern threw under the bus before he finally went away including my beloved Mary Ann Childers. But still no medical editor!

OK, I gotta stop. But it's been awhile! One more thing tho, what happened to the nice, sleek, black look to TVNewsTalk.net? I liked it and then "poof" it's gone. And what happened to the forum being on the home page? Jeesh!

Hey Jay Levine filled-in for Rob Johnson last night at 10. I was wondering who they would use since they gave Anne State the boot, and I was pleasantly surprised to see Jay in the role. By my count, it's the first time he's done any sort of anchoring since early 2004 when he filled-in alongside Diann Burns a few times. Did a good job, wonder if he'll do it again tonight...

Speaking of Anne State, I say this management team treated her like crap. Granted she may have ascended too quickly to the top, but she was a very good anchor and it was very easy to like her. She seemed liked the nicest person in the world, my only complaint would actually be that she was a little too perky at times. But I disagree that she didn't connect with viewers, she has many fans.

This Rob Johnson solo thing on every evening newscast is overkill. I'll admit he's good at 10 and he's even won me over a bit. But I don't go near the 6 and now that he's solo at 5, I won't watch that either. Sorry, I don't like him THAT much. Rob Johnson & Roseanne Tellez make a real nice team. They should be the brand if Bill Kurtis & Walter Jacobson don't reunite permanently ;) Roseanne brings Rob and his ego down to planet earth, while I always got the impression that he felt superior to Anne State when they anchored together.

Speaking of Bill Kurtis, what the heck happened to him? He quietly stopped doing his Cold Case Minute. Or at least I haven't seen him in a long time, probably since he & Walter anchored together that Friday night. I don't watch every night that's for sure, but I think I'm right. Anyone know better? I saw that commercial he did for Monsters & Money but that's about it. And I don't even wanna chime-in on that show right now.

Mike Flannery's departure is a HUGE loss to the station. Him leaving really has me scratching my head. Was he unhappy with this new management team? Did Fowler & Fox simply make him an offer he couldn't refuse? If so, why wouldn't Kiernan do all he could to keep him instead of simply making that cold press statement (even though his statement about Anne was much colder)? Does Mike just prefer working for the lowest rated station? I've noticed he's hardly ever on the 10PM news. Maybe that had something to do with it. I dunno, I just can't get over the skeleton crew CBS 2 has and they just keep lettin em go. Sudberry, Lum, Zwecker, Curran, State, and now Flannery since these suits took over and no replacement for any of them. Not to mention the slew Ahern threw under the bus before he finally went away including my beloved Mary Ann Childers. But still no medical editor!

OK, I gotta stop. But it's been awhile! One more thing tho, what happened to the nice, sleek, black look to TVNewsTalk.net? I liked it and then "poof" it's gone. And what happened to the forum being on the home page? Jeesh!

I believe Jay Levine did fill-in anchoring on the weekends and/or mornings sometime around 2007/2008.

The solo Rob Johnson saves the station alot of money with ratings where they're at. Losing Anne State doesn't effect ratings so the station is closer to the bottom line CBS is looking for. I don't think she herself or anyone else was shocked that she wasn't being renewed. Flannery going was a surprise to everyone but the station sees it as adding even more dollars to the bottom line so he won't be replaced either. I heard Flannery leaving was all on his own. He wanted to go to FOX for some reason or another and nothing was going to stop him. Kind of like when Andy Shaw decided to leave ABC 7 for good. I personally believe Flannery was offered a much more prominent role with the new direction WFLD is going along with a hefty $$$ offer so he jumped over there. Fowler is going on a big unnecessary talent spending spree there. Flannery is extremely valuable in the Chicago market. Even if management were to change again at WFLD, I don't think a new management team would dump him from there. The reason why Mike was hardly seen on the 10PM newscast is because he prefers to work mornings/days.. He's usually already in the building around 6/7AM and is around until 5:30/6PM.

WBBM is at #3 right now and has the highest ratings they've had in a long time. However, having a skeleton on-air talent at where they're at ratings-wise is creating the profits that CBS wants to see from WBBM. CBS is happy right now with WBBM management. Eventhough the ratings aren't #1 or #2, they're still bringing in the dollars corporate wants to see by saving LOTS money. I can tell you though that WBBM still has ALOT more behind the scenes staffers than WMAQ right now.

Bill Kurtis still does work with WBBM every now and then. Just not the Cold Case Minute anymore. He did come on a time or 2 within the past couple months to do a story. He mainly just does voiceover work for the morning show now. He also did the "Monsters" voice heard in the morning theme. Someone was thinking of possibly making him the station's main voiceover. I think that would be pretty cool. Walter Jacobson's perspectives have become a big hit for the station so they're keeping him. They might as well have added Jacobson to the bio page.

As for a Rob Johnson & Roseanne Tellez anchor team, there's a very good possibility for the 5PM..

Archived