WABC Observations....

NYNews

I was able to catch WABC's new weatherman Jeff Smith this weekend and i must say i like him. He has a real authoritative style in his presentation that really does assures the viewers. I also notice the meterologists are now using a wireless weather remote, when did this happen? (It's a good thing, b/c i thought it was quite annoying when you would see the wire they had to move around during their presentations) I could still remember them using a wire remote a couple of weeks back.

I can't recall if it was WABC but I remember watching one station in which one of the meterologists was talking to the anchors about the remote and how it's new and helpful, etc. and I think it was WABC.

Also, I have noticed now what VLAD was talking about where WABC does a quick preview as the credits for Oprah are rolling down only on fridays. I've watched for 2 weeks to see if that's the case and it is. Does anyone yet know why that happens only on fridays instead of everyday?

And hasn't Diana and Sade been matching a lot lately?

I know they purposely did for Feb. 2 because they announced it and everyone in the country was supposed to.

Also, I have noticed now what VLAD was talking about where WABC does a quick preview as the credits for Oprah are rolling down only on fridays. I've watched for 2 weeks to see if that's the case and it is. Does anyone yet know why that happens only on fridays instead of everyday?

Maybe the producer works Monday-Thursday and the weekend one works Friday-Sunday ???

I can't recall if it was WABC but I remember watching one station in which one of the meterologists was talking to the anchors about the remote and how it's new and helpful, etc. and I think it was WABC.

And hasn't Diana and Sade been matching a lot lately?

I know they purposely did for Feb. 2 because they announced it and everyone in the country was supposed to.

Well, the producer not being there on a Friday shouldn't be the reason why the previews are shown, on the contrary many would think that logically there would not be a preview if the producer wasn't there, so thats probably not the reason.

And the reason why they do that is a mystery, not sure why its done, or what the purpose of doing it is, because Friday is just like any other weekday, so i don't see why they choose Friday to do that quick preview before Eyewitness News or why they do not do it everyday, anyway its not that big of a deal, but its just one of those "odd" things at WABC, lol. They do tend to have more special stories and segments on Fridays at 5, so I guess that could perhaps be the reason, like the movie reviews by Joel Seigal, or Neighborhood Eats, etc...

-Vlad

Plus Jeff is quite the looker - nice to have some eye candy that early in the morning. Kudos to WABC for replacing "Handsome Sam" with someone equally as easy on the eyes.

He is handsome and charming, but has MILES to go in the Suit Department if he wants get anywhere NEAR Sam Champion or Lee Goldberg. And he has ATROCIOUS posture...he stands like Ed Sullivan, hunched over.

Meanwhile, Hunky Phil Lipoff switched from very attractive Windsor Knots to less-flashy Four-in-Hand knots last weekend. At least he hasn't worn those ugly ultra-wide spread collars in a while! That aside, the man is generally a great dresser and a real talent.

Where the heck are the new graphics?

Doesn't look like its happening soon, they seem to have really established themselves for this current sweep period. Like many people say, if it isn't broken then is no need to repair it. They had major sucess in November despite not being in HD at the time (Beating NBC 4 HD in gaps), so I think they should just wait untill September 2007 after they rebuild their new set and make a complete new change, graphics, branding, etc.

-Vlad

Where the heck are the new graphics?

Doesn't look like its happening soon, they seem to have really established themselves for this current sweep period. Like many people say, if it isn't broken then is no need to repair it. They had major sucess in November despite not being in HD at the time (Beating NBC 4 HD in gaps), so I think they should just wait untill September 2007 after they rebuild their new set and make a complete new change, graphics, branding, etc.

-Vlad

thats what they are doing...

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that News Team Pictures are being updated on 7online.com. Much more clear than the original ones. New camera?

I think the actual pictures are fine. It's just that a lot of them have been edited and re-edited so many times since either the original 7online.com launched or since the talent's original photo was taken that they lost a lot of resolution. Remember, every time 7online.com got a new look, the talent's photos were re-edited to reflect a new background.

Even with the updated pictures for talent like Bill Ritter and Liz Cho, the photos/backdrop are not as good as they could be.

Hopefully when the new graphics and talent opens launch next week, 7online.com will either get an updated look or the talent photos will be updated to reflect the images seen in the talent opens.

PS: I should say I KNOW the actual photos are fine, as I have many of them at home with the anchor/reporter's autograph on them.

speaking of the meterologists, why are they all Caucasians? There was an African-American meterologists who did the weekend shift, who i thought was good, but they replaced her with Jones. I wonder why?

Yeah, I remember her, I think her name was Geneen Anderson but I can't fully recall. I also thought she was great. I loved her but I don't know what happened.

EDIT: Geneen Anderson is her name. She now works at WNCN NBC17.

8645523_240X180.jpg

Bio Link:http://wncn.weatherplus.com/weathernews/wxplus;metbio;Geneen_Anderson/detail.html

Picture Courtesy Of:www.wncn.com

speaking of the meterologists, why are they all Caucasians? There was an African-American meterologists who did the weekend shift, who i thought was good, but they replaced her with Jones. I wonder why?

Why does it matter to you? If you can do the job right, skin color shouldn't be an issue.

Why does it matter to you? If you can do the job right, skin color shouldn't be an issue.

So, Anderson was as good or even better than Jones. I'm not saying it "has" to be racial discrimination, but you do have to wonder why. It's just an observation.

Last time I checked Audrey Puente ( I know she's not on a real station anymore) was a woman of color, so that shoots your theory to hell.

Last time I checked Audrey Puente ( I know she's not on a real station anymore) was a woman of color, so that shoots your theory to hell.

So WWOR is a fake station then?

hello?!? this topic of discussion is about WABC, hence the title WABC Observations, not everything is about WCBS here. Just forget it, you people are too paranoid, just b/c of a little observation, everyone freaks out.

hello?!? this topic of discussion is about WABC, hence the title WABC Observations, not everything is about WCBS here. Just forget it, you people are too paranoid, just b/c of a little observation, everyone freaks out.

The point is the anytime someone much like you makes a reference to a racial or ethnic group in a news division there is always the assumption or thought of racial discrimination, whether or not you are discriminating or not. Which is why its best to try and avoid mentioning racial groups. The point we are trying to get across is that the color of their skin should not matter. As long as they are doing their job well, thats what matters. Ganeen Anderson was excellent at WABC, she left for a better position at another station.

-Vlad

I'm sorry, did I mention WCBS? No I didn't think so. She has worked for now 3 different stations. And the way you brought it up it sounded more like a comdenation of all New York stations, next time make your point a little clearer.

Ganeen Anderson was excellent at WABC, she left for a better position at another station.

She's at NBC17 doing weekends 6&11pm, how is that a better position? ::)

Yes, it is a whole lot better, because she doesn't have to wake up at up at 3am in the morning to do a weekend morning newscast which is on average, typically the poorest rated newscast of any station and the least payed as well. And that was she had been doing at WABC. Sheesh... ::)

-Vlad

Archived