WRC-TV (NBC 2.0) TV veterans forced OUT!

onyourside

Susan Kidd, IJ Hudson, Pat Collins, Arch Campbell, and George Micheal are all leaving the Washington Area's most watched news station WRC-TV NBC channel 4. The ratings mogul has dominated the Washington market for several years now and it will be interesting to see how the station's audience reacts to the loss of on-air talent. The individuals that made the station what it is today are now being bought out and axed by 4, however George Micheal was offered a contract but declined (see more at DCRTV.) "Michael tells DCRTV that he will not participate in the network's much-hyped budget cuts. "I was offered a longterm contract to stay," he says, "but I will not lay somebody off." Michael adds: "If they're going to cut, let them start with me" (DCRTV.COM). This is big news in D.C., the areas most familiar and most popular news team is going to be broken up for the first time in years. What is next? According to 4's general manager, NBC 4 will remain strong because of their loyal viewers who tune in for the content, not the on-air talent. Most of us know that we watch who is presenting the news as much as what is in the news. It will be absolutely fascinating to see the new on-air talent and how the station does after losing so many Washington Icons. I am sure WJLA/NEWS CHANNEL 8 (both owned by Allbritton Communications Company) will have NBC 4 talent on their airwaves very soon. WOW ABC 7 NEWS with Leon Harris, Maureen Bunyan, Gorden Peterson, Susan Kidd maybe even Pat Collins and/or Arch Campbell, who knows? WJLA will have so many familiar faces that they are almost guaranteed a ratings extravaganza...right?? See more at DCRTV.com. I just have to honestly say that I have already switched to ABC 7 for most of my news.

EDIT: Jim Vance, Doreen Gentzler & Bob Ryan all appear to be staying.

Wow. That is a real disappointment. Good luck to all those that were axed.

This is a good opportunity for WUSA to pick up some good talent.

Will George Micheal's syndicated "Sports Machine" program remain on the air?

Yes WJLA and WUSA should take advantage and pick up some talent!

"Sports Machine" will go off the air after 23 years when George Michael steps down in March.

Susan Kidd, IJ Hudson, Pat Collins, Arch Campbell...As much as I am going to probably sound like an ass here. These people were probably going to be retiring in the next 2-3 years anyway. NBC4 Needs to make way for the next generation of News Professionals. And I agree with WRC's G.M. on the point that people tune into NBC4 for the "quality of the product, not the people." WRC like most NBC O&O's, does one thing that most stations in the D.C. Market don't, and that's actually report the news. And one last point I'd like to make is that everyone is saying 'JLA or WUSA might pick off WRC's former talent, but dont count out FOX5. I'd say they to have a good chance at picking up some some good talent, especially Arch Campbell.

And one last point I'd like to make is that everyone is saying 'JLA or WUSA might pick off WRC's former talent, but dont count out FOX5. I'd say they to have a good chance at picking up some some good talent, especially Arch Campbell.

The only reason that I only mentioned WUSA and not WJLA or WTTG, is because WTTG is doing well and WJLA is doing okay. WUSA, on the other hand, really needs some help.

One thing is for sure though. When I come out to DC again, I will still watch Channel 4, just as I have in the past. I am sure the folks that live in DC would agree.

News4 will still be the one I watch even when they have gone because it's all about history. They have a great team, they are out in the community. Even though this will be tough to see the news without them, I will still watch. As for WUSA, that's all they ever do, get people from other stations to help with their pathetic management. I doubt anyone will go to the hellhole that is Broadcast House to end their careers.

See more at DCRTV.com. I just have to honestly say that I have already switched to ABC 7 for most of my news.

EDIT: Jim Vance, Doreen Gentzler & Bob Ryan all appear to be staying.

This is actually somewhat "old" news. Still surprised at George Michael. What he did was a class act.

Actually for a better story about all the happenings at WRC, should check out the Washington Post. They did a good story about this.

May have to sign up as is the case with many papers but its a lot better than DCRTV.com which is beginning to be more and more of the Don & Mike page ( two djs on local WJFK-FM ) and less everything else.

Archived