Cablevision Customers Lose WABC, Then Get it Back

Vlad

Re: Cablevision Might Lose WABC-TV on March 7th

To show how "generous" Cablevision is, on thethey are offering free movies on their demand channel for today only and guess what?, it will show up on your bill.

Here's how it was shown on WABC at between 11:59 and 12:02: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kSJ1EjXDhk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Cablevision Customers Lose WABC

It has to show up on the bill; if you order it from your cable box, it automatically comes onto your bill linked to that cable box and there will have to be some way to track the credits issued. I wonder how many bills will be messed up now..

Wow, this even made the 5 pm news on KSDK TV 5 in St. Louis. This has happened here with both ABC (Sinclair) and CBS (Belo), sometimes just impacting the HD feed. Maybe this will force the FCC and Congress to step in and stop this foolishness on retransmission consent. What's bad is CBS and ABC have been public about this being the next big source of revenue. Not to defend Cablevision (if I lived back in NJ I'd go with Verizon FiOS) but both sides are out to screw the viewer.

I blame ABC On this... they do it right before the Oscars and put INNOCENT viewers in the middle of it! Cablevision will WIN this no body should switch cause WABC will likley be back (according to a report on EWN 47% of viewers are cablevision subscribers!! They will eventually be back! Or they can say hello to last place!!

That could affect their news viewership even after they go back on Cablevision. WABC has been #1 for a while, but when long time viewers who only watch 7 are exposed to different news products, they could decide to switch over after seeing what they've been missing.

As with everything, money talks and each side is looking out for their own pockets.

As usual, it is the viewer who suffers and there's no recourse. Sure you could switch, but you'll still be paying Verizon or someone else. Same big company that doesn't care, with a different name.

i love eyewitness news.... but i will get over it.. theres plenty of other choices in this market!! :) WABC will LOOSE and Cablevision will come out on top just like they did with scripps!!

Maybe this will force the FCC and Congress to step in and stop this foolishness on retransmission consent.

God, I hope so. It's getting ridiculous.

Thankfully, the Boston DMA has been spared this silliness... so far.

More from saveABC7.com:

ABC7 and Cablevision have made significant progress and have reached an agreement in principle that recognizes the fair value of ABC7, with deal points that we expect to finalize with Cablevision. Given this movement, we’re pleased to announce that ABC7 will return to Cablevision households while we work to complete our negotiations.

ha ha ha!!! i am just watching PIX News at 6:30 and they just said at the open "welcome to all WABC viewers" ha ha ha!!

That is the funniest thing! WPIX is also running this promo trying to capitalize on the WABC debacle -

(Courtesy of NYNewsWATCH)

Also, I'm thinking executives at WCBS are hoping this drags on for a LONG time so they can gain some of WABC's viewers and dethrone them from the "Number 1 in New York" position. Eyewitness News at 11 has been slipping lately and (if the percentage is correct) then a portion of the 47% of EWN viewers with Cablevision will more than likely switch to CBS 2 than News 4 NY.

Its absolutely ridiculous. As I mentioned before, I work at RadioShack, and today it was amazing how quickly we sold our antennas today. Within 3 hours of opening, they were all gone, lol. So it helped that part of the business. In fact the antennas sold out so fast, there was actually a small argument between one of the customers. We've got hundreds of calls with people asking if we have Digital Antennas, Converter Boxes, and even TVs (some people went all the way and purchased a DTV since the converter boxes were unavailable) Anyway it was definitely a boost for business.

This is gonna be an extremely devastating blow for WABC and could probably even put them in last place for Eyewitness News, if this drags on. When these things happen, people find other sources for news, I'm actually really shocked that they don't see what they are doing to themselves. I don't understand why they must remove themselves and put 3 million people in the middle of this. Its unbelievable, Although I'm a victim in this stupid feud. Anyway I'm able to watch WABC OTA for the time being, by quickling purchasing an antenna and now I'm able to tune in for the oscars. Despite the claim of boosting their signal, its still very difficult to get a good signal. But it is easier. You will need an "amplified" High Definition VHF Antenna to view WABC if you're in the Long Island Area, because the signal is still weaker than most of the other stations.

The longer this battle lasts, the more that both sides will suffer because people will simply become frustrated and either find other news programming to view instead of Eyewitness News. I've already started watching Fox 5 News and News 4 New York. And by the way it seemed at least in my neighborhood, the trend is to either purchase an OTA antenna with a converter box (if necessary), or simply wait it all out, which I did.

BREAKING NEWS (As I'm Typing This):

As I was writing this reply post, WABC has just announced in a scroll that they have reached an agreement and will be returning to Cablevision users in a matter of hours, perhaps they can put it back on so people can view the Oscars now. So viewers should expect WABC-TV and WPVI-TV back on anytime now.

That is the funniest thing! WPIX is also running this promo trying to capitalize on the WABC debacle -
(Courtesy of NYNewsWATCH)

Also, I'm thinking executives at WCBS are hoping this drags on for a LONG time so they can gain some of WABC's viewers and dethrone them from the "Number 1 in New York" position. Eyewitness News at 11 has been slipping lately and (if the percentage is correct) then a portion of the 47% of EWN viewers with Cablevision will more than likely switch to CBS 2 than News 4 NY.

Can't find the edit button and I hit the post button before reading that they reached an agreement. Thank goodness this didn't last long! I just feel bad for all of the people in the tri-state area that scheduled to have the Verizon FiOS or DirecTV guy come this week to install their new system!

Yeah, I've been trying to edit my post so many times, but can't because the edit button is for some reason disabled on this section of the forum. We need an edit button on this forum, so if the admins here can add that on that would be great! :)

Yes its now available! Thanks for adding it on! :)

Archived