Recording News/Shows Off TV

NEPAMediaNut

Have a question here if anyone could help me out... I just bought a new 32'' Hitachi HDTV and a new computer,which runs on Linux OS.. What kind of cable and/or Linux software would I need to record off the tv to my computer...Your help would be appreciated...Thank You!

Yeah, you need a TV tuner which can connect to your PC via USB. They run about $50-70. I recommend the Hauppauge WinTV 950Q.

To use it, you just have to connect an antenna or a cable from your cable company. Your cable company provides a no extra cost service called QAM which will give you free HD local channels, similar to what an antenna will give you.

If you have a cable box and a FireWire port on your computer, you should be able to capture the MPEG2 transport stream directly onto your hard drive. Cable providers are required by the FCC to include an active FireWire port on their digital cable devices.

I'm not sure how to do this in Linux, but I just had to download the Apple FireWire SDK for my Mac and it worked like a charm. Then you can use your favorite MPEG transcoding app (MPEG Streamclip works for me) to convert the transport stream into an editable format and you are good to go.

Yeah, you need a TV tuner which can connect to your PC via USB. They run about $50-70. I recommend the Hauppauge WinTV 950Q.

To use it, you just have to connect an antenna or a cable from your cable company. Your cable company provides a no extra cost service called QAM which will give you free HD local channels, similar to what an antenna will give you.

Thanks for all of your responses..I am going to look into it..

• 2 weeks later...
If you have a cable box and a FireWire port on your computer, you should be able to capture the MPEG2 transport stream directly onto your hard drive. Cable providers are required by the FCC to include an active FireWire port on their digital cable devices.

I'm not sure how to do this in Linux, but I just had to download the Apple FireWire SDK for my Mac and it worked like a charm. Then you can use your favorite MPEG transcoding app (MPEG Streamclip works for me) to convert the transport stream into an editable format and you are good to go.

That's what I do, but the trouble with it is that you can only capture live TV (i.e. nothing that your DVR recorded), and you can't record protected channels (CNN and Current are two).

Does anyone know of another way to capture video without buying a tuner or a way to fix the system mentioned above?

That's what I do, but the trouble with it is that you can only capture live TV (i.e. nothing that your DVR recorded), and you can't record protected channels (CNN and Current are two).

Does anyone know of another way to capture video without buying a tuner or a way to fix the system mentioned above?

Good question..I was wondering the same thing...

Archived