KDKA Can't Locate Philly, Charleston WV, and Buffalo NY?

Tyler

Apparently, KDKA doesn't know where Philly, Buffalo NY, or Charleston WV really are on a map. Take a look (I put the correct locations on there).

kdmap.jpg

Anyone know why this is? It's been like this as far as I can remember...

FOX 5 was like that for the longest time. They actually had Winchester in West Virginia and Martinsburg almost in Maryland. It drove me nuts, so I emailed em, took em a couple weeks, but they fixed it. Doubt my email made a difference. So, it isn't just KDKA.

Oddly enough, WHAG (which uses AccuWeather) has their towns were they are supposed to be. Wonder if WHAG actually inputs the graphics or AccuWeather.

Rock on,

Tybois Uphold

"The Real SVRTV Editor"

Editor/News Director

SVRTV-Winchester, VA

http://www.svrtv.net

tybois@svrtv.net

It may not necessarily be Accu-Weather's fault. Depending on who their graphics vendor is and who put together their graphics, it cold be any number of people who could have done that. I know for instance in Philly, 6abc uses the Accu-Weather monkier but has WSI graphics and not Accu-Weather's. If you want them to make the change, the easiest way to correct the city issue is probably to send an email to their weather department.

It may not necessarily be Accu-Weather's fault. Depending on who their graphics vendor is and who put together their graphics, it cold be any number of people who could have done that. I know for instance in Philly, 6abc uses the Accu-Weather monkier but has WSI graphics and not Accu-Weather's. If you want them to make the change, the easiest way to correct the city issue is probably to send an email to their weather department.

KDKA uses AccuWeather's Galileo system.

Yeah, AccuWeather systems can get a little screwy every once and awhile, when i got Peoria, Il, and Quad Cities Stations stations, I would flip to WMBD one or two times WMBD's graphics would freeze up. And the animations freeze for a sec.I know WSI, and WeatherCentrals gaphics are very accurate, because they use High Resolution mapping.

KDKA uses AccuWeather's Galileo system.

Then that explains it then. We at KSN use Galileo and we've had that same difficulty with some of our maps, regional and national. It doesn't always place the city right on. It seems to have a problem with exact locations for cities the farther away from the central point they are. I don't have any caps available, but our maps tend to locate KC too far east and St. Louis too far west. It also places Jefferson City too far south and Tulsa, OK too far to the northeast. It seems like it's trying to drag the cities closer to the central point, which for us is Joplin. And that's what it looks like on KDKA's map, it tried to locate the cities closer to the central point, which would be Pittsburgh. It may do that simply to keep them on the map as a vague point of reference.

Apparently, KDKA doesn't know where Philly, Buffalo NY, or Charleston WV really are on a map. Take a look (I put the correct locations on there).

Slightly (alright, mostly) off-topic, but what is the font you used to add in the correct locations?

Interstate Light ;)

Actually in the case of Philly and Charleston, it may be a matter of title / action safe guidelines. Where they actually are won't show up on a TV. But I guess they *had* to have those cities there, in some form.

-T

Actually in the case of Philly and Charleston, it may be a matter of title / action safe guidelines. Where they actually are won't show up on a TV. But I guess they *had* to have those cities there, in some form.

-T

In that case, zoom out a little.

Archived