Press TV

cityprod

Has anyone here watched Press TV for any amount of time? I don't know if the channel is on US cable anywhere but it is available on Livestation, and here in the UK, it is on the Sky Digital platform.

Graphics and titles wise, not bad, a little simplistic, but that's not a bad thing. My problem with it, is the strong anti-western bias that the channel has. As such, I don't watch too much of it.

What do others think?

I've seen bits and pieces of it...it's awful. It's the mouthpiece of the Iranian government, much like Russia Today or CCTV-9. BBC World News, France 24, DW, and Al-Jazeera English are much more trustworthy.

I would not disagree that the agenda of the channel is very in line with the official government line. Whether it is an official mouthpiece or not, I don't really care. The channel has a good graphics package, the weather sequence is pretty good too. The main studio design is also very good. It's obvious a lot of effort went into this channel.

Okay, so the BBC's graphics package is boring and the music is weird, yet I still watch it because the content is good. I wouldn't base my judgment on a channel solely on presentation. Presentation is surely an important aspect of a channel (Look at KIEM), but it shouldn't supersede the fact that Press TV is a channel that pushes the agenda of its oppressive government onto its news.

Watching Russia Today during the Georgian Invasion was a farce. I imagine Press TV was even worse during the protests in June.

Actually Press TV was quite interesting during the initial protests cos they were covering them, and they didn't know how to report them, as the whole situation was very fluid. Once the crackdown began, then it kinda disappeared from the Press TV bulletins.

Whilst I might not agree with their agenda, I can appreciate what is good about the channel, as well as highlighting what is bad. BBC is better on content, CNNI is far better on content. France 24 don't do a bad job, but I have to say that Al-Jazeera and Deutsche Welle don't seem as good content wise as BBC and CNNI. RT too often seems like a domestic agenda on an international channel, it just doesn't work. The worst part there is that RT take up 6 hours on our UK Freeview service. It really is a waste of space.

Archived