Super Bowl SuperStorm Coverage

eyewitness_news

The news stations across much of the Mid-Atlantic pounced on the Blizzard of 2010 like a cat pouncing on a mouse yesterday. But IMHO, the coverage on D.C.'s Fox 5 trumps the other 3 station in the area. You can see the nation's capital getting walloped -- yes, walloped -- by 22 inches of snow.

Also on Fox 5 in Washington, D.C., Fmr. Sen. Tom Daschle's car was stuck in the snowstorm:

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/senator-tom-daschle-stuck-in-snow-020510

Right now, all 3 Pittsburgh stations are doing wall to wall coverage. I've been watching KDKA with Rick Dayton and Brenda Waters anchoring.

WJAC in Johnstown is not doing an extra-ordinary coverage. They did have an interesting feature yesterday during their evening newscast with a live chat and a behind the scenes camera that allowed people to chat with meteorologist Tim Tender and people could report snow totals and snow information and Tim could talk back directly to the people on the chat. It was interesting to see and hear the anchors and the meteorologists talk during commercial breaks and after the 6PM news. However, even though some parts of the WJAC viewing area are getting well over a foot of snow from this storm, they didn't have any special coverage today. Infact, the news and weather updates that aired during the Today Show were taped (as usual) form last night.

It has been pure hell basically. WTTG had snow coverage all day from 2pm - midnight. (No Kitchen Nightmares, pretty peeved.) WUSA also followed suit. WJLA/WRC just ran scrolls during primetime. It is pretty cool to see the coverage, but it is getting annoying because you can only say so much after 12 hrs of coverage.

WPVI, WTXF, and KYW were live all morning. WCAU did a few hours early on, but mostly aired the E/I shows. WPVI signed off at noon. WTXF was going to go until 8pm, but signed off at 1:45 - my guess is someone at Fox "politely suggested" they switch to NASCAR. KYW went all the way until 4pm, moving all CBS Sports specials to WPSG. KYW had the most extensive coverage, using all their weekday talent and a ton of reporting throughout the area.

Right now, KYW is in basketball. WCAU and WPVI have been running about 7 minute hourly cutins. WTXF I think is hibernating until 6.

WGAL and ABC27 WHTM both redesigned their closings/delays graphics and both are in widescreen with no screen pillars. I only hope WGAL finally getting some new gfx for the Olympics, at least the enhanced H/A gfx. They need it badly.

I noticed that all 3 Pittsburgh stations also redesigned their closings and delays graphics at the bottom of the screen and have all done away with the bulky "L" bar that they have used for years. KDKA's new cancellations graphic is especially nice with dark blue and white, something you would maybe find on WBBM in Chicago. WPXI now just displays their information with a ticker scrolling across the screen, which is better than their old "L" bar.

I noticed that all 3 Pittsburgh stations also redesigned their closings and delays graphics at the bottom of the screen and have all done away with the bulky "L" bar that they have used for years. KDKA's new cancellations graphic is especially nice with dark blue and white, something you would maybe find on WBBM in Chicago. WPXI now just displays their information with a ticker scrolling across the screen, which is better than their old "L" bar.

Yeah, I like KDKA and WPXI's new closing graphics. Not a fan of WTAE's, however.

The news stations across much of the Mid-Atlantic pounced on the Blizzard of 2010 like a cat pouncing on a mouse yesterday. But IMHO' date=' the coverage on D.C.'s Fox 5 trumps the other 3 station in the area. You can see the nation's capital getting walloped -- yes, [i']walloped[/i] -- by 22 inches of snow.

Yeah, I was watching some of the streaming coverage at a few different times yesterday and was definitely impressed by Fox 5. It helped that their site had a nice, big streaming player, as opposed to the small one on WJLA's site. I really couldn't watch WJLA's coverage for too long because of that.

What I saw of WUSA's coverage was okay, but had a few oddities, including a reporter who attempted to convert then-current snowfall totals from inches to feet [and to one decimal place at that!] as he was reading them off. So 30 inches became 2.5 feet, etc. It... didn't go that well.

If WRC had a live stream of their coverage, I couldn't find it on their site.

KDKA was back to using their old L-bar closing & delay system this morning, which sucks, because the one they were using over the weekend was much nicer on the eyes.

I noticed that as well this morning while flipping through the channels. I think (and hope) they might be alternating because on Sunday morning I was up early and noticed on KDKA at around 7AM that they were using the old "L" bar, but later on the Super Bowl pre-game show and on the 11PM news, they were using the new cancellations graphic.

Archived