Anna Nicole Smith coverage

qwertywcbs

So, tonight CBS 2's top story is Anna Nicole Smith. I don't know about 4 & 7, but I could honestly care less, considering I've heard it all afternoon. For some reason, Tamsen Fadal is in Hollywood, Florida and Scott Weinberger is in LA.

Oh yes, you need an investigator out in LA to report on someone who died in Florida, and a morning reporter out in Florida, because you know, WCBS is too good for Newspath.

Tomorrow, lets count on Kristine Johnson & Chris Wragge bringing us CBS 2 News at 6 & 11 from the Bahamas wear she lived last.

(Oh, and Scott Weinberger's report lasted a whopping 15 seconds. What a good way to spend money!)

Since I was born and raised in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, I was saddened that 2 children died in a house fire early this morning. That should have been the lead story. Or troops dying in Iraq. Instead this station was obsessed with this dumb white trash idiot dying. Her death is neither shocking nor surprising. She has been drugged up for years. Foul play may have been involved. An unfortunate accident of a real celebrity would have been a shock. This death is as shocking as if Michael Jackson died from a nasal infection, Nicole Richie died from starvation or Paris Hilton could not overcome an STD.

If channel 2 thinks that an all Anna Nicole newscast will get ratings since they are the "breaking news" station - they are dead wrong.

They have no clue how to use the talent that they have. They didn't bother to use Andrew Kirtzman the night of the State of the Union address. It's cold outside so they have John Bolaris come in for the noon newscast so the schmuck that doesn't know how to pick a pair of eyeglasses stands outside to tell everyone how cold it is. They send Weinberger to LA (unless he was already out there for something) instead of using affiliate coverage, but cry poor and try to cut costs while screwing around with the contracts of some of their best veteran talent like Lou Young.

This is the same station that didn't break into Letterman to tell us that Gerald Ford died. But they made sure we knew Anna Nicole Smith was dead during Judge Judy (which was long after the news broke anyway.)

Well now Wragge has his Cronkite moment announcing this death. Too bad he doesn't wear glasses. He could have paused, taken them off and given us the whole effect.

WCBS is beyond repair.

Since I was born and raised in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, I was saddened that 2 children died in a house fire early this morning. That should have been the lead story. Or troops dying in Iraq. Instead this station was obsessed with this dumb white trash idiot dying. Her death is neither shocking nor surprising. She has been drugged up for years. Foul play may have been involved. An unfortunate accident of a real celebrity would have been a shock. This death is as shocking as if Michael Jackson died from a nasal infection, Nicole Richie died from starvation or Paris Hilton could not overcome an STD.

If channel 2 thinks that an all Anna Nicole newscast will get ratings since they are the "breaking news" station - they are dead wrong.

They have no clue how to use the talent that they have. They didn't bother to use Andrew Kirtzman the night of the State of the Union address. It's cold outside so they have John Bolaris come in for the noon newscast so the schmuck that doesn't know how to pick a pair of eyeglasses stands outside to tell everyone how cold it is. They send Weinberger to LA (unless he was already out there for something) instead of using affiliate coverage, but cry poor and try to cut costs while screwing around with the contracts of some of their best veteran talent like Lou Young.

This is the same station that didn't break into Letterman to tell us that Gerald Ford died. But they made sure we knew Anna Nicole Smith was dead during Judge Judy (which was long after the news broke anyway.)

Well now Wragge has his Cronkite moment announcing this death. Too bad he doesn't wear glasses. He could have paused, taken them off and given us the whole effect.

WCBS is beyond repair.

I agree NYnewFan.

If its beyond repair why do we all continue to discuss it and bash it countless times? Almost half of the posts on this forum since its reincarnation in November 2006 are all WCBS related, just don't know why we can't move on and talk about other stations... ::), and half of those posts are pretty much bashings on how WCBS sucks etc, its kinda annoying at this point in time now. WCBS chose to be the way they are so lets all move on and just accept that is the way WCBS will be now and untill then, instead of continuously bashing them for the way they are.

-Vlad

WCBS is beyond repair.

I NOMINATE THIS "POST OF THE MONTH!!!"

WCBS is beyond repair.

I NOMINATE THIS "POST OF THE MONTH!!!"

Fantastic NYNewsFan!

I hope Richard Huff reads this board or does anyone know how to get this to him. I would love to see him publish bits of this in the Daily News.

The suits like David Friend are either blind or oblivious or both and this sums up how much of a joke they've become. It would be nice to see them exposed for the mere hackers they are and how this group has ruined that once proud station.....none than any others that have come before them. >:)

I think what everyone said above was well put. But, Smith's story was breaking after the noon newscast and i think they wanted to get to the press conference live at 5pm or was it? I'm not sure. Even though some of you refer to her as "white trash" which isn't nice, there is an important side to the story, which is her 5 month old baby. There's this whole controversy of who the father is, even if you don't care about Smith atleast care about her daughter. It's such a sad story that the baby girl lost her mother and brother.

In addition, CBS did give a notice that Gerald Ford died during Letterman. They had put a graphic indicating it telling viewers to stayed tune for coverage, i didn't get to see it, so i'm not sure if they eventually provide coverage. But in CBS' defense, NBC didn't have coverage during Leno either.

OUCH! How embarrasing and brings WCBS down to a whole new level of being the worst run station in the nation. Who made that decision? If any viewers with intellect were left, I"m sure this move lost them for good. What a shame a once good station and new department are basically dead. Could WCBS become the biggest station to drop news? One wonders if it will come to that if moves like this continue.

Did you know that Chris Wragge broke into Judge Judy about 4:45 to announce the death?

Odd... he teased at like 3:58ish that she was dead.

I honestly can't believe what WCBS has become. They had so much hope when we saw what Peter Dunn was doing by axing Eat at Your Own Risk (btw... anyway see Katie Couric tonight... starting monday they are having an Eat at Your Own Risk-esq report)... and the new graphics... and the GREAT anchor teams he put together. I think Murdoch should just take WCBS off of CBS's hands and add it to his New York tabloid empire.

Word is, it's not coming from Dunn.

It's all David Friend's work and vision and he has the backing of the president of O&O News, Tom Kane. They worked together at WABC many many years ago.

Kane came to CBS and hired Friend who was at CNBC or MSNBC at the time. Now you can draw your own family tree and see all the connections for the new hirees; ESPN (Ryan for one) and CNBC (Johnson) and other off camera personnel.

Word is, it's not coming from Dunn.

It's all David Friend's work and vision and he has the backing of the president of O&O News, Tom Kane. They worked together at WABC many many years ago.

Kane came to CBS and hired Friend who was at CNBC or MSNBC at the time. Now you can draw your own family tree and see all the connections for the new hirees; ESPN (Ryan for one) and CNBC (Johnson) and other off camera personnel.

Yeah... well, EVERYONE on this board seemed to be THRILLED during the summer when Dunn was at the helm. But with Friend's "vision", Dunn will be gone, followed by Friend. Dunn knows what he's doing. He did it to KYW, and given the chance (and I mean more than 4 months from April to August), he can bring CBS 2 as a real player competing for second, and giving WABC a real run for their money.

But no, CBS execs always knows what they are doing.

Archived