Haiti's Tragic Fall

Vlad

We've discussed several other disasters that have occured in recent history such as Hurricane Katrina, The deadly 2004 Christmas Day Tsunami that killed, the Sichuan Earthquake in China, anyway so, what are your thoughts about this tragedy?

So far I've watched CNN for the last several days, and the pictures are very devastating, I've witnessed and seen many things in my life, but I've never seen the images of dead bodies, on TV, and that has really just really put me at a lost for words. I've seen the coverage of other major natural disasters such as Hurricane Katrina and a number of others, it just was not nearly as bad as this. Its absolutely just the worst case scenario, kind of like the "Perfect Disaster" because everything is hampered and its just so cruel and in a sense unfair because these people suffered several years and this latest suffering probably tops it all. Like I said on the on another similar thread, its just a horrible beginning to what is supposed to be a new beginning as we are starting this new decade, and when looking at the extent of this damage, it almost makes me wonder if it is the beginning of the end... Because they certainly did not deserve this. When looking at historical and unprecedented disasters, most of the time fate seems to always allow them to occur in areas where they will be the most destructive, and also where people have dealt with suffering and poverty for many years.

I feel that CNN/CNNI has been the best at covering this story, though I'll give credit to the BBC and AlJazeera, who have also had good coverage. France 24 has done well on this story as well, though they haven't dropped their feature programming outside of the news bulletin times.

Worst performers so far on this - MSNBC, Sky News, Fox News. MSNBC seem to have been caught out by this story and haven't really done a good job with this. Similarly, Fox News also seemed a bit caught out and haven't really dedicated as much time to this story as they should have. Sky News has also been very disappointing. They made a reputation on breaking news coverage, and they haven't been as sharp on this whole story as CNN, BBC and Al Jazeera have. I think Sky News reputation has taken serious damage here, I wouldn't say it had been hit below the water line, but there has been far better coverage from other broadcasters.

EuroNews almost always struggles on big stories like this, but haven't done too bad. As for the likes of NDTV, Press TV, Russia Today, NHK World and DW-TV, I really haven't seen enough to make a good impression, but none of them seem to have been covering the story with much greater depth than any other, and certainly not had the impression that they altered their schedules significantly as a result of this story breaking.

Archived