Blizzard of 2009 II - Storm Coverage

Vlad

Well, here we go again, with another Blizzard that literally is due to arrive here in less than 18 hours. This will be the second Blizzard we've had this year. We had a big one back in March and here we go again with another big one, lol. This will also be a true Blizzard for WABC will be doing hourly updates as usual throughout the day tomorrow for the coverage of what looks to be a major Blizzard in the area. This storm may very likely perhaps give us a White Christmas, especially here in the South Shore of Long Island where there could be up to 18" inches of Snow, that is a lot of Snow to melt by Christmas, lol. Of course the snow won't be fresh by then, but the grass will still be snow covered, haha. Anyway did anyone catch what the other stations will be doing? Its probably just the usual coverage, but you never know, lol.

Chuck and Melissa on WNBC at 6pm.

All four WABC Meteorologists are covering the storm. Three outside with Lee in studio.

WNBC had a live report from Philly's NBC10 covering the storm from Cherry Hill, NJ.

Chris and John doing weather on WNBC. I guess Janice is at home?

WCBS has Lonnie in studio with Elise.

Megan Glaros looks pregnant so I doubt she will be out covering the storm.

Is there really a need for two forecasters? I was watching WCBS and it seems like it was all Lonnie doing the weather and it didn't seem Elise contributed anything to the broadcast. Did they really need Elise to talk about the 7 day when Lonnie was capable of doing the whole weather report? I think not.

I'm not knocking Janice Huff, she may have already been scheduled to be off is not in the area on vacation, but every other channel has their A team on the air doing the weather forecasts.

She is probably not there tonight because she does the weather for the Weekend Today Show, and most likely thinks that being there tomorrow morning is more of a priority than doing coverage for WNBC. Anyway, I think Chris Cimino has been doing a great job with their coverage on NYNonstop. While I was checking in with their coverage through the evening, I didn't notice John Marshall there. It was just Chris and Raphael Miranda and Chris was doing the teases for the 11PM news.

WPIX had good coverage tonight. There will be a special edition of the PIX morning news tomorrow. Wonder who will anchor?

WCBS had solid coverage. They're expanding to an hour broadcast at 11pm.

I'm pulling for WNBC, but just not feeling that their coverage is a s strong as WCBS.

WPIX had good coverage tonight. There will be a special edition of the PIX morning news tomorrow. Wonder who will anchor?

WCBS had solid coverage. They're expanding to an hour broadcast at 11pm.

I'm pulling for WNBC, but just not feeling that their coverage is a s strong as WCBS.

WNBC had great extended coverage on NYNonstop starting at 7PM. At 11, I watched WABC for about 30 minutes and they also had great coverage with about 8 reporters in the field (Bill Evans, Heidi Jones, and Jeff Smith among the 8) and with Lee Goldberg in the weather center.

Is there really a need for two forecasters? I was watching WCBS and it seems like it was all Lonnie doing the weather and it didn't seem Elise contributed anything to the broadcast. Did they really need Elise to talk about the 7 day when Lonnie was capable of doing the whole weather report? I think not.

It makes it easier for the wx people. That way, one can focus on the severe weather event that is happening, while the other is focused on the forecast down the line. If there is big weather happening, it's a lot for one person to handle. Also, I guess news directors feel having more than one met on the air helps brand the "team".

It's a shame I live out here in St. Louis. I'd love to see the coverage on this.

I have to stay in small market TV for at least a couple years before I try to work at NY1.

Wow, I totally sounded like a moron in this post. Removed "no brain" portion of the post.

Archived