Chicago Snowstorm

Vlad

Although I'm not from the Chicago area, I'm curious to know how the local news stations are coping with the situation and how everyone over there is handling it. So how is it over there right now?

-Vlad

It wasn't *that* bad on the south side where I am, but we still got three inches here, but up north and west, they got much more. As for news, I noticed WLFD was quick to get a commercial on the air about how powerful their morning newscast was during the storm coverage. Also, WMAQ was the only station with a competent school closure list. Theirs was up-to-date and alphabetical. WBBM's was alphabetical, but it was outdated. The other three (WLS, WGN, WFLD) had a seemingly random order to their lists that was impossible to follow.

It was covered just fine by all the stations. It wasn't overblown like what alot of markets do. No fancy "Winter Storm 2006" graphics or any crap like that.

As for school closures, what it says on the news really doesn't matter because most school districts around now have that automated calling system that calls students' home phone numbers around 6 or 7 AM telling them there's no school and they usually know before they even turn on the TV.

I live in Princeton, Illinois we got 19.2 in. of snow, Sound imposible??? Its not, Im a weather watcher for WQAD, Another wx watcher reported 20.6 in. in Neponset, we made it on National news(Princeton,LaSalle,Geneseo). My final report to National Weather Service was 19.2 in. and same to WQAD.

PS- WQAD introduced a neat set, it was called the 'Snow Desk'. They had set up a desk with a logo and put up a logo in the back of it, and put this temporary set in the NewsChannel 8 garden aka. Courtyard. It was some of the best wx coverage you could need, Meteorologist James Zahara and Good Morning Quad Cities anchor Jim Mertens where giving forecast updates and news reports, reporters where all over the viewing area, and Pam Cunnignham was giving school closings in the Newsroom.

Guest daleduke17

I live in Princeton, Illinois we got 19.2 in. of snow, Sound imposible??? Its not, Im a weather watcher for WQAD, Another wx watcher reported 20.6 in. in Neponset, we made it on National news(Princeton,LaSalle,Geneseo). My final report to National Weather Service was 19.2 in. and same to WQAD.

19.2!?! Dang. We had something like 3 in Bloomington. Make it more if you count the ice accumulations.

WEEK, and HOI19 did pretty good on weather information. CBS31 I'm not sure on, as I didn't watch it that much (not that I do anyway).

For the school information, all of the Peoria stations seemed to lack a bit on updating. I'm not sure if it was on their side or the different entities trying to call in. But, the first storm is usually kind of disjointed.

Archived