Bill Kurtis & Walter Jacobson to anchor Channel 2 News @ 10 this Friday

cbs2worksforyou

From cbs2chicago.com

For one night only, the legendary CBS 2 news team of Bill Kurtis and Walter Jacobson will anchor the news this Friday at 10 p.m.

It will be the first time in decades that the duo has anchored a newscast together.

News Director Jeff Kiernan made the decision to reunite the pair for the show because anchor Rob Johnson is taking the day off to attend the wedding of a longtime friend.

"There's no trickery involved,'' said Johnson. "We certainly want people to watch our news and hope Bill and Walter's presence encourages lots of people to watch.

"When the idea of Bill and Walter anchoring for me came up, frankly it felt right to me and news management."

"We began our careers here, and we are flattered to be asked to help out," Kurtis said.

Jacobson said he has been working on a book lately.

"I haven't been in front of a teleprompter in 3 1/2 years," Jacobson said. "I'm a little nervous."

Both Kurtis and Jacobson said they have no plans to take on the role permanently.

Kurtis and Jacobson both began their Chicago broadcast careers at CBS 2 in the 1960s. Both left after a few years, but returned in 1973 to anchor a revamped 10 p.m. newscast broadcast directly from the newsroom of CBS 2's old headquarters at 630 N. McClurg Ct.

Kurtis and Jacobson's The 10 O'clock News went on to become one of the most celebrated and emulated local newscasts in the country.

Their run lasted until 1989, except for three years when Kurtis went to New York to work as a network anchor.

My family lived in the Chicago area till 1984 and I remember my parents always watching channel 2's news. I wonder if WBBM will make the newscast available to watch online.

Why not just shoot them an e-mail? WBBM has been pretty good about responding to e-mails lately. Or just post it to Rob Johnson's CBS 2 facebook page. They usually answer off that too.

"When the idea of Bill and Walter anchoring for me came up, frankly it felt right to me and news management."

Wait.. Didn't I mention that idea on a message here a few weeks ago?!?! lol..

I'm a little in love with Jeff Kiernan right now. He just better sit them at the damn desk, and not have them standing up in some cramped corner of the set. And by desk, I mean the big persons desk, not that stupid one made for just one that they're always squeezing 2 people behind.

Just saw the newscast online. Loved the use of Enforcer with the open. It worked so well together. Loved hearing Walter's Perspective again. This Friday the 13th, it was all good luck at CBS 2.

That... was extremely awesome.

I think it was natural that they brought back Enforcer. What impressed me was just how well the v1 cuts fit with the graphics they're currently using. As in, "they should work them into normal presentation" good.

That newscast was great. Any fast numbers on how they did?

I don't know any specifics about last night but I know it did attract attention from all over the country.. People all over the country watched it online and many stations around the country tuned into the WBBM feed just to watch.

The numbers are in, and they're pretty darn good. While they weren't enough to top Channel 7 (which had a 8.3 rating at 10PM), Channel 2's strong 7.3 came within 1 ratings point of the #1 spot Friday night. It should also be noted that Channel 2 creamed Channel 5 which could only garner a 3.7. But what I liked most about Lewis Lazre's little piece in the Sunday Sun-Times, was the part that basically says Channel 2 management is trying to make Bill & Walter their permanent 10PM anchor team again. And that, I have to admit, is giving me butterflies...

http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/1885519,CST-NWS-CBS15.article

Friday night's newscast was just fantastic. It was the first time it's felt like Channel 2 since Lester & Linda left the station. And not only was the presentation great (the anchors of course, the set, the music), the content was right there to go along with it which is what hit it outta the park. I'm still reeling by how good it was. All the veteran reporters, the mixture of hard news, human interest, and commentary made it flow seamlessly. Harry's 'Someone You Should Know" and Walter's 'Perspective' were probably my favorites, but everything was right up there. If Channel 2 keeps this up, they'll be unstoppable again. I really can't believe it.

The newscast was just great! It would be really interesting if maybe WBBM could bring back either Bill or Walter or both to do some anchoring. That would significantly help their ratings and would bring some quality journalists back to the business, which is a big home run.

Question:

For those of you that live in Chicago: Did CBS2 do sports on Friday? I remember watching the live stream an watching an abnormally long look at the radar around 10:25.

Yes they did sports. A full sports segment actually. It wasn't cut short like the weather was. Ryan Baker joked something like, "Unfortunately, Johnny Morris couldn't make it tonight" or something like that.

Question:

For those of you that live in Chicago: Did CBS2 do sports on Friday? I remember watching the live stream an watching an abnormally long look at the radar around 10:25.

Restrictions prevent any TV station from streaming sports online. If they do, they're not supposed to...

Archived