Poor Reception - WABC, WPIX and WNET

Vlad

This doesn't really have to do with the news or anything so its a bit off-topic, but anyway for odd and unknown reason since the digital switch on June 12, I have been unable to get WABC - 7 , WPIX - 11 and WNET - 13 digitally over the air.

I do have iO Digital Cable, but I would like to start recording some programs for the upcoming holiday season like I did last year on my computer and that requires an OTA antenna or QAM, but unfortunately Windows Media Center at least the version on Windows Vista does not support QAM, unless I update to Windows 7 which I will be doing soon.

Anyway I get the remaining channels, but those three I just can't retrieve and a number of people in my area are suffering from the same issue, so I'm wondering if anyone living in the Long Island Area is having the same issue? Because I'm able to get WNBC, WCBS and WNYW, which are all transmitted from the Empire State Building, yet I can't get WABC and WPIX which are both transmitted from the Empire State Building as well, not sure what to do at this point, some suggest raising the antenna higher, but it makes no sense to me if it is all coming from the same source..

Any advice?

Don't you work at Radio Shack, Vlad?

Steve's right though...they're all VHF channels. If you get a UHF/VHF Antenna, you should be fine.

Yes I do work at RadioShack and this antenna is capable of recieving both VHF/UHF signals. Here are the specs:

UHF: 470-890 MHz (Channel 14 - 69)

VHF: 47-230 MHz. (Channel 2 - 13)

Maybe something is interfering with the VHF signal?

Here is an additional link:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2253765&tab=techSpecs

Is there a gain adjustment for the amplifier? You might be over-amplifying the signals.

Good point Steve, unfortunately the amplifier just plugs into the outlet it can be fine tuned or adjusted, it's interesting to me though because they were working fine before the switch, so what could they have changed aftr the June 12th swich?

This doesn't really have to do with the news or anything so its a bit off-topic, but anyway for odd and unknown reason since the digital switch on June 12, I have been unable to get WABC - 7 , WPIX - 11 and WNET - 13 digitally over the air.

I do have iO Digital Cable, but I would like to start recording some programs for the upcoming holiday season like I did last year on my computer and that requires an OTA antenna or QAM, but unfortunately Windows Media Center at least the version on Windows Vista does not support QAM, unless I update to Windows 7 which I will be doing soon.

Anyway I get the remaining channels, but those three I just can't retrieve and a number of people in my area are suffering from the same issue, so I'm wondering if anyone living in the Long Island Area is having the same issue? Because I'm able to get WNBC, WCBS and WNYW, which are all transmitted from the Empire State Building, yet I can't get WABC and WPIX which are both transmitted from the Empire State Building as well, not sure what to do at this point, some suggest raising the antenna higher, but it makes no sense to me if it is all coming from the same source..

Any advice?

I've had the same problem with the FOX stations KTTV/KCOP here in LA.

I remember working for KTLA's DTV hotline and people complained fervently about these problems. It really has to do with transmitter power, some stations now operate at a much lower power than others before.

Good point Steve, unfortunately the amplifier just plugs into the outlet it can be fine tuned or adjusted, it's interesting to me though because they were working fine before the switch, so what could they have changed aftr the June 12th swich?

Because the physical digital station was broadcasting on a different channel then? Prior to the switch, WABC used UHF channel 45 to broadcast their digital signal.

Archived