ITV News (UK) New Look

Jess

I like the open and the music's alright.

The set is awful. While ITV's been using a virtual set since 2004, it never looked this painfully obvious. There's way too much going on in the background and the blinding colors take my focus off the anchors. If my eyes aren't going I can even see jaggies. It doesn't look as sublime as the NAT or early 2009 set designs. Virtual sets don't work as well when it's obvious that they are virtual - witness WCBS News 2.

I question the overall design of the graphics. The relaunch was done to bring ITV News closer to the yellow and black branding of ITV1. Yellow isn't that great a color for news - it looks too bright and there's the obvious accusations of "yellow journalism". Lower thirds look nice but the text is larger than even Fox News' new widescreen designs.

Also a lot of people are questioning the decision to abandon "News at Ten" for a generic ITV News brand. They took away the London flyover to make the bulletins less London-centric. I'm not entirely sure that was a good idea; the open is a clear step down from what it replaced. I think the other bulletins needed a change (the music dates from 2004), but News at Ten needed to feel a little more "special".

It's a downgrade, quite severely. If they could swap out the background for something a lot more subtle than maybe it'd look closer to good. Maybe.

It would make more sense to go back to "ITN News". Watching the "ITV Evening News" on UTV in Northern Ireland seemed a bit confusing, when I was there. The ITN atrium background they had from 2006-early 2009 was great though...it seemed so realistic:

ITV%20News%20Studios%20%284%29.jpg

Archived