CBC News re-launch tommorow

KKyuubi

CBC News appears to be plotting out a rather large re-launch tommorow:

Firstly, CBC Newsworld is becoming "CBC News Network" tomorrow. What is up with the sudden surge for the Canadian channels to be dumping their smart and fancy names for such "generic" sounding names? (i.e. CTV NewsNet to CTV News Channel) But anyway, they are positioning to focus more on breaking news and around the clock coverage rather than literally having your afternoon broad-casts fuel your local noon news on the main network. But however, I have started to see the new promos, and even though their font choice for the logo is rather, interesting (kinda looks Cooper-ish, which is a bit different), they seem to be having more color too, with some more orange and yellow going on (their current package is all red and and white with black here and there), which makes me wonder how the full package is gonna play out.

The National seems to be plugging a new format, and will now also be offering a new customizable 10-minute web edition which will be available daily. It will also now be followed by a new 10-minute local newscast, which is a good idea. I'd summarize it all, but I'll let this explain it all. They're basically just playing catchup.

I didn't even know about this until today; but based on the comments, not everybody is feeling "The National's" new look (simply because Peter Mansbridge's 10:00 competition is "The Jay Leno Show").

Meanwhile, CTV National News is FINALLY IN HD!!!!!!! Now all of Canada will get to see every wrinkle on Lloyd Robertson's face!

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah my freaking computer went down the day this launched so sorry for the lateness:

CBC News Network's new look, looks alot like CNN's new graphics, right down to some of the animations (and even how they got the bug arranged), although its less "monotonous" than CNN's graphics. The font in the actual graphics kinda looks a bit like what HLN uses.

The National and local newscasts don't use the same L3's, but they animate in similarly.

The odd mix of yellow/orange and pale blue especially during their "CBC News Now" blocks (when you got the weather stuff going on right under the L3), is quite odd.

Archived