News Helicopters being permanent grounded by TV stations

jero23

Due to the bad economy we are see that number of stations have grounded their news helicopters via partnering with another station in their market (NBC O&Os and Fox O&Os) or some other market news-gathering agreement. However, there are others like the Local TV Fox stations like KDVR, WDAF-TV have flat out refused to renew their contracts on their helicopters and laying off the reporters/helicopter pilots.

So what's happening in your market with news stations?

The ABC affiliate here in Birmingham (WCFT/WBMA/WJSU) has not used their heli in a very long time. It's name, painted on the side as "AirLink 33/40" is still there, but the station outsources the chopper. I believe they pay per use. They very rarely used it anyway. I didn't even have a camera mounted on it. It was just a regular chopper, and they would stick a photographer in it. I don't even think it has the capability to go live anymore. For some reason though, they still use it in their open.

[YT][/YT]

Archived