Fox News Channel Goes Widescreen

Jess

Yes, they've been HD for awhile, but bear with me.

As of today, Fox News Channel is producing programming in widescreen format only. That means if you watch it in SD, the picture is letterboxed, eliminating the need for those pesky 4x3 safe areas. This is good for those watching in SD.

The upshot is that the graphics have been reformatted to be more "legible" in both formats. In SD, it looks fine. In HD, it looks like everything has been typed in 72 point text - the graphics are HUGE.

I'm fairly sure this is the first news network - perhaps the first network period? - to switch to an all-widescreen format.

That's really a neat thing, but I think the bug is too small and the lower thirds are too big, even in SD. I wish they could have done a better job adjusting the sizes.

I'm guessing this is the start of a trend, right?

Interestingly, commercials on SD still seem to fill the entire 4:3 screen, so there are still two feeds of FNC.

I really like this new idea. I don't get Fox News in HD on one of my HDTVs, so it looks a lot better in standard, even though the graphics in HD are HUGE!! They need to reformat that.

As for this being a trend, I hope so. As long as the picture doesn't have a frame on the HD channel. I would really like for CNN to do for their standard channel when they further upgrade to HD at the CNN center in Atlanta and field cameras.

Something I noticed looking at their page set up to help people get used to the Widescreen format, is that the copyright notice lists "Fox News Network, LLC" and that's also how FNC is listed on their job page.

Is Fox News Channel just the d/b/a name?

Probably just a catchall for FOX News Radio, FOX Business Channel, ect. Something worth mentioning: there is also a FOX News, Inc as seen on this satellite truck door.

Probably just a catchall for FOX News Radio, FOX Business Channel, ect. Something worth mentioning: there is also a FOX News, Inc as seen on this satellite truck door.

It's a catch-all DBA name. News Corporation is renowned for that. They still use(used?) New World Communications as the owner of the former New World stations.

Archived