KTLA new set?

A3N

Noticed that they are broadcasting the 10pm newscast from the newsroom. Curious to see if they are working on refreshing or replacing the set. The set still looks good for being 4 years old, but it wouldn't hurt to give it refresh.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Eww, the temp set looks like a set you would see in the 70's. It's going to be interesting to see how the morning show gang are handle the temp set. They should at least add a LCD monitor to the temp set.

They should have done the newscasts from the newsroom.

They did so last night and it was just as bad. Didn't they use those same crappy blue walls for their temp set back in 04/05? It's ok, for a temporary set. Wonder if they will keep the desk or chuck it, it would be a nice replacement for the newsroom desk.

They did so last night and it was just as bad. Didn't they use those same crappy blue walls for their temp set back in 04/05? It's ok' date=' for a temporary set. Wonder if they will keep the desk or chuck it, it would be a nice replacement for the newsroom desk.[/quote']

Here is a crappy iphone picture of the set we are talking about. Wonder if we will get a set like wpix?

ah there in their old studio next door. same wall but different desk when they did their set overhaul back in 05. thats that same blue set with the changeable ikea lights on the wall. Sam Rubin joked its the Saturday Night Fever wall and it was Mark's idea when he used to do Disco Saturday night on KBIG 104. lol

Not much, she was just letting viewers know why they are on a temp set. All she knew was that the new set will have a lot of new plasmas. During the 9 am news Jessica and Michela said they haven't seen the final rendering of the new set. Weather is still being done in old studio and entertainment interviews are being done outside.

Here are some more pics of the temp set.

dsc02362z.th.jpg

dsc02363b.th.jpg

It would be nice, if they did a streetside studio.

In Los Angeles, ha. If KNSD in San Diego is having problems with their streetside studio, then you can imagine all the problems that would occur in L.A. Streetside studios look good on paper, but when you actually have one there is a lot that goes into keeping it in good condition. Such as security (to shoo the homeless/crazy/stupid people away and keep them from peeing on the building), not to mention that they would have to keep the surrounding area clean. If the new Tribune sets indicate anything is that there will be more plasma's and a smaller desk.

In Los Angeles' date=' ha. If KNSD in San Diego is having problems with their streetside studio, then you can imagine all the problems that would occur in L.A. Streetside studios look good on paper, but when you actually have one there is a lot that goes into keeping it in good condition. Such as security (to shoo the homeless/crazy/stupid people away and keep them from peeing on the building), not to mention that they would have to keep the surrounding area clean. If the new Tribune sets indicate anything is that there will be more plasma's and a smaller desk.[/quote']

In a way, you're right, we all remember the WLS incident a few years back, but seeing as how the stations in LA are located in the suburbs, its definitely a far cry from reality. KTLA and KCET are the only remaining broadcasters in Hollywood, and the corner of Sunset and Wilton is really not a special place to look at.

However, many of us are forgetting about NBC's "planned" move from Burbank to Universal City, looks like a good place for a streetside, I wonder how that's going...or is it?

Guest Former Member 207
In a way, you're right, we all remember the WLS incident a few years back, but seeing as how the stations in LA are located in the suburbs, its definitely a far cry from reality. KTLA and KCET are the only remaining broadcasters in Hollywood, and the corner of Sunset and Wilton is really not a special place to look at.

However, many of us are forgetting about NBC's "planned" move from Burbank to Universal City, looks like a good place for a streetside, I wonder how that's going...or is it?

Yeah, the new NBC studio at Universal City (built right on top of the Metro Red Line station) would the most suitable for a streetside studio, and remembering the sketches of the plan, that's what they'll totally have in mind. Metro is making really good use of its land in and around their subway stations. I work across the street from one of them, and they have a mixed-use retail and residential building right on top, plus a middle school directly next door. I've working in the neighborhood for almost nine years, and it's a far cry from what it was just even three or four years ago, when the development was coming together.

Yeah, the new NBC studio at Universal City (built right on top of the Metro Red Line station) would the most suitable for a streetside studio, and remembering the sketches of the plan, that's what they'll totally have in mind. Metro is making really good use of its land in and around their subway stations. I work across the street from one of them, and they have a mixed-use retail and residential building right on top, plus a middle school directly next door. I've working in the neighborhood for almost nine years, and it's a far cry from what it was just even three or four years ago, when the development was coming together.

Which stop is this....You sound like you work somewhere near Koreatown.

Yeah, the new NBC studio at Universal City (built right on top of the Metro Red Line station) would the most suitable for a streetside studio, and remembering the sketches of the plan, that's what they'll totally have in mind.

Are you talking about the new Tonight Show studio on the Universal lot? That location is hardly conducive to a streetside studio, unless you think a view of Lankershim Boulevard and some low-rise apartments is a compelling backdrop for a newscast. I guess you could make an argument for putting something in the Universal CityWalk, but that's more of a hybrid shopping mall/tourist trap than anything else.

And the only thing the Universal City Metro station is close to is 10 Universal City Plaza (The NBC Universal high-rise) and the aforementioned apartments. The theme park and CityWalk are still a shuttle bus ride away. The Conan studio and audience queue area is a good walk down Lankershim from 10UCP and the Metro station (trust me, I've done it).

Is NBC still going forward with moving KNBC over to the Universal property? I thought that those plans were on hold because of the money problems that NBC is having.

I was thinking the same thing too...yet NBC has been looking at this strategy as a means of integrating its film ops with its broadcast ops, which in itself should salvage some cash. I dunno, all I want to know is who will be the next ND now that Bob Long is calling it a career.

Guest Former Member 207
Which stop is this....You sound like you work somewhere near Koreatown.

Right near actually...Wilshire and Vermont, just blocks east of the old Ambassador Hotel.

Guest Former Member 207
Are you talking about the new Tonight Show studio on the Universal lot? That location is hardly conducive to a streetside studio, unless you think a view of Lankershim Boulevard and some low-rise apartments is a compelling backdrop for a newscast. I guess you could make an argument for putting something in the Universal CityWalk, but that's more of a hybrid shopping mall/tourist trap than anything else.

And the only thing the Universal City Metro station is close to is 10 Universal City Plaza (The NBC Universal high-rise) and the aforementioned apartments. The theme park and CityWalk are still a shuttle bus ride away. The Conan studio and audience queue area is a good walk down Lankershim from 10UCP and the Metro station (trust me, I've done it).

I was specifically talking about the Red Line station at Universal City, on Lankershim. In its current state (and I haven't visited Universal City in months), I agree its hardly compelling for a streetside studio. But once its done, that Red Line station will be more or less a walking plaza with new highrises and apartments. After that, the setting might be fine for the midday and evening newscasts for KNBC...any other daypart, who knows.

Back to KTLA...they ever go ahead and make the move to the Times Building, a streetside studio could be feasible there too. There's so new development in Downtown L.A., I find it amazing. This was an area years ago that was pretty much dead after business hours. Now, it's more or less a 24/7 destination.

Archived