New WPIX set?

DMA

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The set could have been great, but the duratrans ruin it. It looks way too busy and muddled.

I love the live HD copter shots for the plasma wall though, that's great and innovative.

eyetvsnapshot111.th.jpg

eyetvsnapshot107.th.jpg

eyetvsnapshot108.th.jpg

So much for Vlad's "Best set in New York" comment. This is lame.

Yeah, I really take that back with FLYING COLORS, lol. If only I could turn back time to reverse that comment, haha.

But you know those preview pictures really looked nice, and it's always like that. I was stunned when I saw today's debut though. It was a real letdown. That's why I speculated they "may perhaps" have the best set, it was completely worded differently, lol. Keyword here is "may", which means it could go both ways, haha. You know the old saying, "looks can be quite deceiving" and that certainly applies here, lol. I'm honestly not a fan of the multi-plasma display screens, not sure what that terminology is called... They should've simply used one large screen.

The good side to it is that the news is hard though, which is what many people want, very little to no fluff, they saved it all for the end with the Kanye West and the Serena Williams stories about overall rudeness, lol. Its the first day, they still have a lot of kinks to work out, I'm sure it'll get better as time goes on. As for the best set, definitely not WPIX, though they do have a nice desk... Its definitely a mobile set, because its funny how quickly the configuration changes in between commercial breaks. (Standing In Front of Plasmas vs. Desk in Front of Plasmas), lol. The camera in which Jim was standing on at the top of the broadcast was clearly not automated as it kept moving up and down, lol.

Overall, I think it seems a bit rushed and budget savy. I guess we can't expect much in this economy... I mean look at the WPVI's new set its essentially the same thing with very little updates it looks mostly like its all recycled lol. Its not bad but not great neither, I give it a 3 out of 5.

Deborah Norville mentioned WPIX at the top of the show, I assume it was a one time thing.

The close is up also, showing the live copter shot:

[YT]YrYd1dagOPQ[/YT]

The close music is not part of the new theme, it's been used for the past year or so.

Question: How do they get the "Inside Edition" person to be like Live? Is it one of those only in DMA #1 deals. aside from the set, is the news quality good?

They probably just asked Norville to record a custom close. I wonder if this will be done every night. It was a nice seamless transition... Would have been nice to have an open, though. The whole newscast just seemed rushed.

They probably just asked Norville to record a custom close. I wonder if this will be done every night. It was a nice seamless transition... Would have been nice to have an open, though. The whole newscast just seemed rushed.

That's cool, so any channel, that airs it, could ask them to do that? It is a nice transition; but they could have slipped a quick open in there, could the lack of an open be because there was 'breaking news'?

That's cool, so any channel, that airs it, could ask them to do that? It is a nice transition; but they could have slipped a quick open in there, could the lack of an open be because there was 'breaking news'?

I don't know if every station can do that since so many different stations air so many different programs following Inside Edition, but they will probably continue doing that for WPIX because it is in the number 1 market and Inside Edition leads right into another news program.

As for the set, I am pretty disappointed in it. I was expecting something a little bit bigger and more spacious. I do, however, like the backdrop with the shots of the skyline. That is beautiful and I would like to see how it looks at 10PM tonight!

I noticed on the wide shots of the news desk you can see where the set walls end and the building walls are visible behind it.

I'm wondering if they might add something to cover that up a little?

You can see the area in this cap posted by DMA,

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/967/eyetvsnapshot111.jpg

I noticed it when they were talking to G after the weather forecast, it was a lower wide view of the news desk area.

THAT'S IT? THIS IS THE NEW SET?

I thought that circle 11 photo a couple of days ago(I saw it in some preview of the new set) was a big circle 11 on a what looked like a side wall but its just a small front piece of what they call the weather desk or center.

Leave it to today's local NYC stations to hype up so called "new looks" and it turns out to be a complete disappointment. Its almost like they made a copy of the previous set but with a smaller desk and a new wall.

Didn't we hear about new graphics and music? What gives? The set in that infomercial that makes believe its a real news cast with "breaking news" about the federal stimulous to help homeowners with mortgage loans is actually nicer and even looks like a real news set.

What's with the 4 plasma "windows"? The rent-a-chopper live shots through the plasma windows look ok but BIG DEAL.

The way they hyped it up, I thought it was going to be a WSVN 7 type NEWSPLEX or a mini-newsplex. I wished they could start The Independent News again. Maybe they can't cause of the cw affiliation.

I really thought that WPIX was not going to disappoint but I don't know.

They hyped up the new PIX 11 but after that 60 year special we really haven't seen them go back and air the programs from the good old days like magic garden, tom and jerry, chiller theatre on weekends and other programs and New York's Movie Station, remember? or maybe they did air them and I didn't get the memo? The batteries in my dvr are low? Hmmm. lol.

I wonder if local tv stations in major markets back in the inflation 80s and early recession/war 90s gave lame excuses (oh its the economy) to say lets just get a desk from sears and a piece of plywood or formica and draw our channel logo on it throw some crts in the back and call it our new look. lol.

Like they say don't believe the hype until you see it lol. But come on its not really that bad. The 6:30 news is more like a preview for the 10pm news more or less. If you noticed, a lot of the 6:30 stories were developing stories they were working on for the 10pm broadcast. I think its nice that they are even attempting a 6:30 broadcast, they can't put all of their resources on a broadcast they are unsure about. They did a smart move although its half-assed, its wise. Especially in this day and age when the news industry is peforming at an all time low. Plus the quality as many of us mentioned is there. And that is what is most important. Give it some more time. It will get better it's only their first day lol although they probably prepared extensively for the broadcast, the debut is hardly ever seamless.

They hyped up the new PIX 11 but after that 60 year special we really haven't seen them go back and air the programs from the good old days like magic garden, tom and jerry, chiller theatre on weekends and other programs and New York's Movie Station, remember?

Why would they go back to old programming? That doesn't make sense, especially when the new generation of viewers don't identify with those shows.

I agree with you Vlad. 6:30 news is a great idea but while others are cutting to the bone and contracting thier news operations, WPIX has a great opportunity here to quickly become the news leader or at least close to it. Take the case of WSVN 7 in Miami. When NBC's affiliation with wsvn7 (formerly wckt) wsvn invested substantially in news operations and this worked because it made them stick out from rest of the network affiliates wtvj 4 nbc, wplg 10 abc and then wcix6 cbs. I don't recall the numbers but I do remember that they usually wound up second to wplg10 but they also lead in the ratings various times.

NY is a different market but ch11 could have done better with the set and graphics. They could do something like a new slogan; say "New York's News Station" It would sound like a good campaign. Tweak it to include NJ and CT but emphasize that when the others are cutting back, WPIX is comitted to news. They might not be able to beat ch7 or ch5 but if Disney and Fox decide to do some more cost cutting, the race just might be wide open.

That's a good point NYNews: But then why call it PIX 11 and bring back the circle 11? Since today's generation doesn't identify with those shows. Why make a new Star Trek and Transformers movie? Maybe they should call it Twitter 11? If the ratings from younger viewers are the most profitable then why are so many stations cutting back and airing infomercials overnight and on sat and sunday mornings?

I believe that its the program's quality not quantity. Univision's Telefutura network local affiliate airs older Hollywood blockbuster movies (with substitles of course) on weekends from the late 80s and 90s and I think its a great idea for those who don't want to watch golf or colon detox commercials all day.

Archived