New WPIX set?

DMA

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, WPIX actually has some decent looks. Set is up to par along with the graphics. It really looks nice, hopefully the new set will debut before the 6:30pm Launch.. Any word on if WPIX will also be getting new anchors for their new 6:30pm Newscast? Because sister Station KTLA in Los Angeles, are getting new anchors for their launch, so I wonder if WPIX is following the same approach...

I confirmed it with a morning producer...they are indeed redesigning the set. It's quite unexpected, that set had a good 2 years left it in. It'll be interesting to see.

WPIX has posted a link to their Facebook photo album that gives some behind-the-scenes pictures of the set renovations.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=103840&id=76073377041&l=d2bbab7eec

They sure do seem to be spending money lately! I have noticed lots of new talent (Jennifer Jordan, Thalia Patillo, Shon Gables, etc.), and now a new set.

I was not impressed when they first launched the set they are dismantling, I thought there was too much going on and yet it was boring. As I've said it so many times, I really do hope the new background will be a panoramic view of NYC's skyline.

Great pictures on facebook. I always thought there was more room behind the set, I guess not.

I wonder if the cushions in one of the shots are the ones that Kaity refers to in her blogs?

And finally, I think it's great WPIX is investing more into their newscasts, when other stations are cutting back.

As I've said it so many times, I really do hope the new background will be a panoramic view of NYC's skyline.

I think the day and age of unaltered panoramas on sets has ended. If there is one, I would imagine it would be be heavy with graphics.

I think the bigger question may be why Karen Scott is leaving? Do you think she was forced out by Tribune? She had been running a strong and stable team for many years now. Besides WABC and WNBC (at least for a while there), I would say one who gets a job at WPIX would get job security. I hope they don't hire someone who screws things up.

And wouldn't John Houseman get the spot, since he is the Assistant News Director. I mean for a while there Karen Scott was also an Assistant News Director until she moved up.

What a waste.

Aren't there some broadcast journalism schools out there in need of a new set? Time to go dumpster diving...

Why not go dumpster diving outside CLTV's (also Tribune owned) former Oak Brook (Chicago suburb) studios in Chicago? You can get almost a whole new station setup.. A former WGN news set that has been already recycled once, an anchor desk from 1993 that has been half painted neon green, and a whole ton of office desks, chairs, and cubical walls..

What a waste.

Aren't there some broadcast journalism schools out there in need of a new set? Time to go dumpster diving...

Those things aren't meant to be disassembled and assembled over and over again. A lot of the time they are taken apart with crow bars and hammers so they aren't in great shape when they leave the studio.

Looking good, hopefully everything will turn out nice for the debut, new graphics already? Wow, their current graphics are not even that old, lol. I think this move will further improve their image, and could even possibly bump up ratings. Of course its going to be difficult for most people to switch from World News to Local News, but at the same time, it's all the better as increasingly more and more people are arriving home just after 6:00 broadcasts.

I'm skeptical about reports of a new look though...it doesn't make any sense, when the current look is more than suitable.

Well you gotta have a new graphics with a new set. The current ones are not that great either, especially their 5 days weather graphics.

I wonder if they'll follow suit and go with a 7 day forecast.

I give WPIX a lot of credit for all of the work they are putting in with a new look and a 6:30 newscast. I thought that set looked great and maybe just needed a refresh if anything.

As for the graphics, I don't see why they would change them since they are relatively new and still look pretty nice.

Archived