New PVI building, set ready Sept 20th

sfomspphl

Do you think they will move the set and the background to the new building because it is fairly new and still looks great!

Well, by the sounds of it, there's a new set in the new building... Otherwise they couldn't rehearse...

I would assume they'll just sell the old set, especially in this day and age.

• 4 weeks later...

As I was writing this, I saw Erica Grow's facebook:

Meteorologist Erica Grow trust me... you DEFINITELY want to watch Action News at 11 tonight and tomorrow night! Big changes from one night to the next...

Which means something's changing, likely the graphics and set. Which makes complete and total sense; EVERY major change 6 has made graphically (98, 02, 04, HD in 06) has occurred on a Saturday. It's practically tradition by this point. They may not even debut the new set, just switch over to the new graphics hardware, but I don't see why they won't just change both over.

Speaking of the new set:

http://www.facebook.com/6abc.ActionNews?ref=nf#/photo.php?pid=3331628&id=110957983507

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2123643&id=118402104089

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2356355&id=111241529581

The first two black and white photos show the main anchor area. The third, an Erica Grow shot, seems to be coming from the new Weather area. I'm quite liking the new design - it gives me almost a BBC vibe, with the multiple angles and panes. The backdrops also indicate that the current look isn't disappearing, just being updated in some form. I'm okay with that as I actually quite like the look they have now.

As far as some other on-air tweaks I've noticed:

--The glass skyline has been removed from the current/old set. The bluish "ACTION NEWS 6" backdrop used for sports has been moved over to cover the hole. Doesn't mean they're just gonna move it over to the new one (actually from the shots I've seen, it looks like it may clash quite badly), but it does mean they want to save it in some form.

--Last Friday, Nydia Han did a report on where the best garage sales are. Said report consisted of her standing in front of this MASSIVE video screen that looks like it responded to her touch - like she would move her fingers up and down on screen to move the map up and down and point at things to bring them up. Save for a bewildered expression on Jim Gardner's face immediately afterwards, no mention was made about said touch screen.

--As of tonight, it looks like the "camera in every newsroom cubicle" thing is being utilized, as John Rawlins did a bit of the report from his desk. Looked a little dimly lit.

--VizRT is being slowly but surely introduced to station graphics, with the exception of news. A new weather crawl was the first new doodad to appear. Then the TD Bank Time and Temperature started looking a little clearer. This past week the familiar Lottery number recap during Jeopardy was switched to Viz, so every piece of graphic was sliding in and out of the screen live on air. It was made to conform to the current graphic style which means it looked quite off.

As far as some other on-air tweaks I've noticed:

--The glass skyline has been removed from the current/old set. The bluish "ACTION NEWS 6" backdrop used for sports has been moved over to cover the hole. Doesn't mean they're just gonna move it over to the new one (actually from the shots I've seen, it looks like it may clash quite badly), but it does mean they want to save it in some form.

The way stations are saving money these days, don't be surprised to see familiar things from the old building pop up in the future.. I'm sure ALOT more items than originally planned are coming along to the new building.

WBBM in Chicago did the same thing when they moved to their new building.. All the glass panels from the old set with the CBS 2 logos were moved to the new building. I think the large backlit Chicago skyline from the last set was taken along too. However, none of it is being used on their current set. It's all just leaning against the walls in Studio B with carboard and large blankets protecting them. All the interview furniture (including the vase and fake flowers) from the old set were moved to the new building for reuse. If you notice, the wood interview chairs used most of the time for interviews right now on WBBM are the original Devlin Design Group interview chairs from 2002.. Heck, ALOT of things were taken to the new home. All the old studio lights from the old set that weren't reused in the new studio set are being stored in Studio B. Studio B is pretty much one large storage room of all sorts of stuff from the old building.. Almost everything was taken from the old building that there really was nothing left to auction off that would be of any worth to the general public.. During my last walk through the old building, all that was really left was old metal office/newsroom furniture and old electronic equipment that even no other stations wanted..

Is WPVI planning on having a sale of all the leftovers in their old building?

...whoa.

See the video, here's the blow by blow.

--Newsroom looks a bit plain but huge and spacious. I don't think they're going to show a lot of it on the air, because that's not their style. (But then again their style never included gigantic studio or state of the art graphics or video wall or...)

--Control room looks drool-worthy.

--Wall of Fame, pure win. Name any other station that has the sheet music and original vinyl recording of their news theme on display. Oh wait, you can't.

Now that studio...

--Holy crap that studio is gigantic. Everything is all in a row... and yet there still seems to be space to fit more in. The desk looks great and so does the backdrop - continuing the Channel 6 tradition of blue backdrops but adding some graphical flair so it doesn't look empty. That was the part that bugged me about the old set.

--The skyline lives! I figured it was going to have a home on the new set and it looks like I was right. Since they have more room, the skyline is MUCH wider than before and the landmarks are all spread out. It's now lit by LED lighting - sadly it looks like the twinkling lights have gone - which allows for a number of different combinations, such as presumably red for breaking news and green if the Eagles make it to the playoffs (which we really don't need to see, but okay). And it's been updated - hello, Comcast Center! It was hands down the best part of the last set, so I'm glad to see it made the trip.

--And finally, the explanation to that strange Nydia Han segment from last week and the most impressive thing on the set: a Perceptive Pixel. Or, more accurately, the Magic Wall that CNN uses. They are the ONLY local station to have a Magic Wall, probably because that thing has to have cost a fortune. And already I'm salivating at the possibilities - Viz graphics on a Magic Wall? A 21st-century style return to the famous WPVI magna-board weather routine? Hell to the yes.

--And there's a green screen. Personally I don't know why you'd bother with one now that you have a MAGIC FRIGGING WALL but it's there regardless.

I know stations are cutting back and saving money, but I don't think the recession has made more than minor changes to the plan. I think the skyline moved over because it cost a lot to make originally and it looked cool, not as cost saving. Frankly, this is the exact opposite of cost saving. You do not go out and get CNN-level equipment unless you have CNN-level money to spend... and WPVI probably has that money, because at one point it was the most profitable station in the country.

Basically, I'm just extremely excited for whenever the news comes on tonight because this looks extremely cool. Well done Channel 6.

Really nice building overall!, They deserved it, funny how they shown the old music score for the Move Closer To Your World theme song, lol, I guess that song is not going anywhere, lol on 9/20 haha. Anyway I really like it, I like the memorabilia they placed on that wall looks pretty nice. I'm hoping this will be an ongoing trend for the rest of the ABC O&Os, because WABC can certainly use an upgrade like this, lol.

Really nice building overall!, They deserved it, funny how they shown the old music score for the Move Closer To Your World theme song, lol, I guess that song is not going anywhere, lol on 9/20 haha. Anyway I really like it, I like the memorabilia they placed on that wall looks pretty nice. I'm hoping this will be an ongoing trend for the rest of the ABC O&Os, because WABC can certainly use an upgrade like this, lol.

Well, by all accounts, it's not going to premiere on the 20th.

All indications point to a premiere TONIGHT after NASCAR.

...whoa.

--Newsroom looks a bit plain but huge and spacious. I don't think they're going to show a lot of it on the air, because that's not their style. (But then again their style never included gigantic studio or state of the art graphics or video wall or...)

Quite impressed by the double-height ceiling in the newsroom.

Main thoughts upon seeing the new look. This was basically a run-through; they didn't go and show the nuts and bolts of the new studio and station. Also, as the familiarity with the graphics software improves over time, so will the on-air look.

--They did not make any drastic changes to the overall look. Sure, the set is WAY bigger, the graphics on a different system, and a lot of other changes have been made behind the scenes... but this does not look fundamentally different from the old set. A lot of viewers would actually barely notice the change, other than "things look a lot less crammed in than they did before".

--The graphics are pretty... underwhelming, I'd say. It's obvious that they took the base stuff they've been using since 04 and 06 and retooled it in-house to work with VizRT. I remember someone saying that Viz requires graphics to be redone to work with the system, so it's not surprising. I just wish they hadn't tried to *exactly* emulate the older, more professional graphics. Again, though, this is entirely judged on the first night with a very new and powerful system. As they grow comfortable with the new look, it will get better I think.

--The set looks fantastic. They did not explore the set - I think the weekday newscasts will do that - but you can see the difference. There is more scale, everything seems like it has more room to breathe, to exist. They're not crammed into a small space like before, and that's a pleasant difference.

--And, I know it's a small nitpick but... they moved the patio?!?! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Archived