Mary Calvi and Don Dahler

stevieboy247

As I'm watching the News on WCBSTV.com, I've noticed that Don Dahler (who is filling in for Chris Wragge) and Mary Calvi (who is in for Kristine and Dana) are once again co-anchoring the News.

Anybody else take notice of this?

Don usually anchors the weekend evening newscasts with Mary anchoring the morning and the evening...

I don't think Don Dahler has anchored a weekend since he replaced Jim Rosenfield... Remember - Steve Bartelstein replaced him... since Steve's departure (btw - he was in the audience of the Wendy Williams Show last Thursday) - Mary has been anchoring evenings alone.

Well, Mary would be the #3 female anchor behind Kristine and Dana, and Don is #2 behind Chris.

Seems like a logical pairing to me. But I get your reference.

I agree with you on this one - Mary Calvi being #3 behind Kristine and Dana (ahead of Kate Sullivan), but I think it depends on the station... like on 7, I think Lori would be #3, ahead of Sandra Bookman... and on 5, I'd say Dari is #2 behind Roseanna Scotto...

Don usually anchors the weekend evening newscasts with Mary anchoring the morning and the evening...

Actually, Don usually anchors weekday evenings at 6pm (with Dana) while Mary anchors weekend mornings and weekend evenings. They used to anchor together on the weekends. But what does your comment have to do with the fact they are anchoring together now???

I agree with you on this one - Mary Calvi being #3 behind Kristine and Dana (ahead of Kate Sullivan), but I think it depends on the station... like on 7, I think Lori would be #3, ahead of Sandra Bookman... and on 5, I'd say Dari is #2 behind Roseanna Scotto...

If you are suggesting that Sade is ahead of Diana then that is way off. For WABC, the way I see it, it is Liz, Diana, Sade and then Lori and Sandra, with Michelle and Lisa and Lauren Glassberg completing the top eight for that station. That might not be the way it is, but that is how I see it.

If you are suggesting that Sade is ahead of Diana then that is way off. For WABC, the way I see it, it is Liz, Diana, Sade and then Lori and Sandra, with Michelle and Lisa and Lauren Glassberg completing the top eight for that station. That might not be the way it is, but that is how I see it.

I didn't include Liz Cho in the tally, because quite frankly, she doesn't normally "sub" for anyone. My list was Diana, Sade, Lori, Sandra, and so on... Diana is "senior anchor" at channel 7, so technically she's #1 by default.

I'm more curious about why Steve Bartelstein showed up in the audience at The Wendy Williams Show. Did he speak or was he just caught on-camera?

No, he didn't talk, but did appear on camera when Wendy said "I'm so excited to have Steve Bartelstein, my favorite news anchor in New York here in my audience."

Actually, Don usually anchors weekday evenings at 6pm (with Dana) while Mary anchors weekend mornings and weekend evenings. They used to anchor together on the weekends. But what does your comment have to do with the fact they are anchoring together now???

Yeah you guys are right, I had no idea, lol. I haven't watched WCBS in ages so that goes to say why I'm wrong. But anyway the fact that they used to anchor newscasts during the weekends together means that they have more chemistry so it works well for them anyway...

I didn't include Liz Cho in the tally, because quite frankly, she doesn't normally "sub" for anyone. My list was Diana, Sade, Lori, Sandra, and so on... Diana is "senior anchor" at channel 7, so technically she's #1 by default.

I actually like that. As much as I love me some Liz Cho, i don't think she is tops, over Diana that is. I wasn't quite sure about that one, but I definitely agree with you on that remark. Diana is number 1 in my book also.

Also, Liz has only filled in for one person and that person is Sandra Bookman. She only subbed on Saturdays or Sundays.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I just decided to post in this one. I've noticed that Mary Calvi has been working a lot lately. She anchored all of the newscasts during the weekend and has filled-in for Kate Sullivan all week on the morning and noon newscasts. That's a little odd considering usually Cindy Hsu or Deborah Garcia also fill-in. I'm wondering if Mary volunteered to fill-in all week in addition to her normal schedule or if WCBS put her on this excessive schedule. I'm also wondering if they are trying her out on the morning show because of a possible change in the future. WCBS does have a tendency to switch around anchors. I really enjoy watching Mary and I think she is a great anchor.

I can't speak to the specific situation at WCBS, but I can add a nugget of insight.

In the vast majority of television newsrooms, there is no such "pecking order" as described in this thread. Many times, when an anchor is off, a fill-in is determined by one simple rule: what will do the least amount of damage to the schedule?

For example, I am a morning reporter for 4 days during the week. I am not a regular anchor. But when the morning anchor or morning meteorologist is off, I fill in. As far as any anchor rank list, I would be dead last, since I'm not even an anchor here, but I get to fill-in because it does the least amount of screwing with the schedule. I'd also like to think it's because I'm good at the desk, but that just may be a pipe dream :confused:

On the flip side, we've had some of our main anchors fill in on the weekend morning shows in the past. It's all about the schedule, and what will cause those schedule making managers the least amount of grief, while making sure the product doesn't suffer.

I'll shut up now.

Typically, the fill-in anchors for the morning and noon newscasts on CBS 2 are Mary Calvi or Cindy Hsu. Deborah Garcia has not been a fill-in anchor for at least a year now.

Typically if Kate Sullivan is off, Cindy and Mary will split the week. Usually, Mary would fill in Monday, Tuesday, and sometimes Wednesday, and Cindy would take Thursday and Friday, and possibly Wednesday. This allows Cindy and Mary to each anchor their normal weekend morning shift. Lately, Cindy and Mary each have filled in for Maurice when he is off.

However, Mary likely anchored this entire week in the AM and at noon for Kate because it appears that Cindy was off this week (Cindy did not file any reports during the 5pm or 6pm newscasts like she normally does this week). It will be interesting to see if Mary works this weekend. If she does, Saturday and Sunday will be her 8th and 9th days in a row of working!

It seemed for a long time that Cindy Hsu was "banned" from the anchor desk since she was removed from the weekend morning newscasts back in 2007 and replaced with Deborah Garcia and Sean Hennessey. At this point, she was no longer filling in. However, it appears that the station had a change of heart at some point in 2008, because she has been a regular fill-in anchor for at least the past year.

Additionally, Deborah Garcia and Sean Hennessey were removed from the weekend morning newscast when Steve Bartelstein joined the station in late 2007 and was paired with Mary Calvi. After that point, Hennessey and Garcia have not appeared at the anchor desk, even as fill-in anchors. In fact, Deborah Garcia typically is the field reporter for the weekend morning newscast, the same newscast she was anchoring in 2007.

My question: Is Cindy Hsu the official weekend morning co-anchor with Mary? There have been no announcements, and her biography has not been updated.

Mary was on yesterday and today, so that brings her total of days worked to 9! Wow! She is such a great and hard working reporter. I have also heard she is the nicest person.

I think we can pretty much assume that Cindy is the offical weekend morning anchor since she has been on for a while.

Mary was on yesterday and today, so that brings her total of days worked to 9! Wow! She is such a great and hard working reporter.

Just playing devil's advocate:

Just because she has worked nine straight days, that means she's hard-working? Or just working a lot?

Careful not to blur the two.

Just playing devil's advocate:

Just because she has worked nine straight days, that means she's hard-working? Or just working a lot?

Careful not to blur the two.

Well, when were talking about her working 9 straight days, I would say she is working a lot. However, I ment to give my opinion on her as a whole, so then I would describe her as pretty hard-working since she anchors all of the weekend newscasts and has for quite a while and reports occasionally during the week as well.

Just wanted to clarify.

Archived