KCBS-KCAL Rebrand to NewsCentral

bostonmediaguy

Guest Former Member 207

The "NewsCentral" branding will go hand-in-hand with the "Sports Central" branding with their sports newscasts. It's kind of a unnecessary move, but it's not the end of the world either. As long as the quality of the newscasts roughly remain the same, 2 & 9 will be fine. Unless something dramatic happens, they'll never dethrone KABC for first place, and KNBC is in such freefall right now...KCBS has second-place pretty much by default. Pretty much the same situation for KCAL at 10pm...KTTV is comfortable at #1, and KTLA is also in freefall. Let's not forget that KCAL on some nights have the lead-ins of the Dodgers (spring and summer) and Lakers (winter and springs) to make them a strong performer in prime time...but of course, KTTV has American Idol in the first quarter of the year as a lead-in some nights.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That doesn't look cheap. If you ask normal people, not like most members here, they refer to their local stations as "Channel __" or "Action News" (in this case). Case in point, just ask people you know who don't like television news as much as you.

NewsCentral to me is just a branding to bring KCAL/KCBS under one name. Nothing big, nothing cheap, just really makes sense.

Interesting. BTW, I don't think the graphics from the duopoly currently are that bad at all, the way I see it.

I agree...I think CBS 2/KCAL 9 would be great keeping their graphics the same. They are awesome, in my opinion!

The thing is is that in almost every place an "umbrella branding" has been tried, it has ended up looking horribly cheap and stupid looking...

case in point:

[yt]lUUCnPcBwpQ[/yt]

same goes for WSYX/WTTE, WPTY/WLMT, WPTA/WISE, etc.

The only one who does a decent job is WTLV/WJXX (First Coast News)

Don't forget WOIO/WUAB

Don't forget WOIO/WUAB

Why is it that WTEV thought emulating WOIO would bring success to them? They're coping WOIO to a T with the graphics and the branding and the music, the only thing different is the VO.

Anyways I didn't see why CBS thought they needed to rebrand KCBS and KCAL, I thought they were doing good ratings wise?

Anyways I didn't see why CBS thought they needed to rebrand KCBS and KCAL, I thought they were doing good ratings wise?

Again... it's because Joe Viewer probably still thinks KCBS and KCAL are separate entities. In CBS' mind, using a more uniform brand on both stations will help people associate the two stations as one whole. Not all rebrands are based entirely on ratings. Look at KYW - yeah, it was in the toilet but they also really dropped the ball on the affiliation switch to CBS.

And in my opinion, WTEV/WJXX is not irritating because they went to an umbrella Action News branding. WTEV/WJXX is irritating because they shove the name down viewer's throats and can't go more than 30 seconds without mentioning it. In other words, it's the execution, not the concept. If KCAL and KCBS keep the current format of their newscasts, just with a new branding, they'll be just fine.

And it could be worse. We could be looking at The News on the CBS 2/KCAL 9 Information Network.

Again... it's because Joe Viewer probably still thinks KCBS and KCAL are separate entities. In CBS' mind, using a more uniform brand on both stations will help people associate the two stations as one whole. Not all rebrands are based entirely on ratings...

Probably true, although in my experience more LA viewers seems to be savvy to the KCBS/KCAL duopoly than the KTTV/KCOP one, despite the complete elimination of any My13-specific branding from the news programming (now "Fox News @ 11").

The other component is the thinly-veiled slap at the LNS. I don't know how that's working in other markets but in LA it's rapidly becoming a travesty of a mockery of a sham... :D

HulkieD

"And in my opinion, WTEV/WJXX is not irritating because they went to an umbrella Action News branding. WTEV/WJXX is irritating because they shove the name down viewer's throats and can't go more than 30 seconds without mentioning it. In other words, it's the execution, not the concept. If KCAL and KCBS keep the current format of their newscasts, just with a new branding, they'll be just fine."

A slight correction on your post: its WTEV/WAWS with the "ACTION NEWS" branding , WJXX/WTLV are the ones with "FIRST COAST NEWS" branding

Other than that , you made some great points

Yikes! What were they thinking? Maybe another synergy not only Sports Central but I wonder if they will be simulcasting on KNX 1070 their Newsroom is called KNX NewsCentral??

I mean really I rather have CBS2/KCAL go back to Action News or keep the current moniker. News Central give me a break.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've always thought that the Eyewitness News brand was a better fit for CBS affiliates since the CBS logo is an eye.

I've also always thought that the Action News brand was a better fit for ABC affiliates since both Action and ABC start with an "A" (especially for those affiliates that use ABC in its newscast title - it flows better).

That being said, I like the fact that they are co-branding their stations under one title, and since Eyewitness News is used elsewhere in L.A., the Newscentral branding will do.

Some new details on the branding change.....the switch to "NewsCentral" will occur on the 19th,courtesy of Paul Majers on the six-o'-clock newscast. A coincidence exists in this due to the fact that their HD debut was on a Saturday. It seems that CBS 2 seems to like weekends for new stuff, i guess

• 2 weeks later...
I'm liking this concept. I think it is a nice move to make more of an attempt at serious news coverage with the latest, state of the art technology.

The Mic flags are ginourmous...but my only hope is that this experiment becomes as succesful as Prime 9 News was.

Didn't notice too much of a change except

* The anchors speak at a faster pace.

* Minor tweak in graphics to fit that NewsCentral logo. They should have done new graphics

* The doppler is now called Newscentral Doppler. Don't care for that name.

* That "mapcam" is only google earth type software which the other stations are using.

* Live Dash cam in the newsvan on the Freeway on its way to the Temecula fire was just ok.

* Large new mic flags are ginormous as mbhcity stated above.

* After decades of the helicopter being called Chopper 2 it's now called AIR 2. I don't like that change.

Being that this is a weekend newscast, I'll wait until Next week when everyone is back at work (full strengh) to see if there is a major change. Hopefully there is more tweaking next week.

I'm not liking the new format. The first thing that caught my attention was that the new logo is way too large and just takes up too much space on screen. Is it just me or do the lower thirds look too cluttered as well? What's with the dash cam in the news van, isn't that why they have a helicopter?

Archived