KCBS-KCAL Rebrand to NewsCentral

bostonmediaguy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid, plain and simple. NewsCentral? sounds so 1980s. Maybe it's an excuse to get new graphics? Which one could only hope, will be better than what they have now.

Stupid' date=' plain and simple. NewsCentral? sounds so 1980s. Maybe it's an excuse to get new graphics? Which one could only hope, will be better than what they have now.[/quote']

According to the article, it'll be "CBS 2 NewsCentral" and "KCAL 9 NewsCentral"... similar to what WSYX and WTTE used to do ("News Center on ABC 6/FOX 28").

Maybe it's an excuse to get new graphics? Which one could only hope' date=' will be better than what they have now.[/quote']

Actually, I like their current graphics. Please don't dump the 615 themes! I wish I could listen to the Enforcer NG3 and the others, but unfortunately my sound card went out months ago.

According to the article, it'll be "CBS 2 NewsCentral" and "KCAL 9 NewsCentral"... similar to what WSYX and WTTE used to do ("News Center on ABC 6/FOX 28").

And if it is any close to what WTTE and WSYX's product was. I will feel sorry for LA.

What the heck are they thinking??? Can't they just leave CBS 2 News and KCAL 9 News as it is? As for the News Central name, it's kind of like Sinclair-esque to me and all of us.

Yes, it does sound like Sinclair, I think they should leave it the same too.

What the heck are they thinking??

I'm thinking this could be a test for a roll out in other markets.

It may be why a couple other O&Os haven't gone through with the LNS yet.

Extreme thought, yes...still a thought.

-T

Channel 2 has been known to make silly moves over the years...but this one might just be the one to end it all..We definitely don't need a Sinclair presence here.

Well the way the business is going with some stations going dark, others sharing resources and merger after merger...makes me wonder...are we seeing another fall or Rome?

Another classic CBS blunder. Do they have something against their stations being successful, or consistent?

They didn't need to change. This will probably make it a dogfight between KABC and KNBC, who aren't exactly stellar organizations in their own right.

KCBS, meet third place.

I don't know why everyone's reacting so negative to this. It's just a branding change. And a very slight one by the way that logo looks - I mean, it's not like they're changing the logos, they're just adding a bit to it.

They're doing exactly the same thing in Philadelphia, where KYW and WPSG do joint news output. Just instead of "NewsCentral", it's "Eyewitness News", and the graphics/music are customized a bit on WPSG. Obviously, KCBS/KCAL can't use that name in LA.

It's a unified branding so people know that the KCBS newscasts and the KCAL newscasts are done by the same people. Aside from maybe some increased resource sharing, that's all it is. Yes, WE might know that KCBS and KCAL are sister stations, but it's easy to forget that the general public probably does not. I know when WPSG premiered its 10pm news I had to field a barrage of questions from my mom asking "why are Doug Kammerer and Dave Huddleston on 57? Aren't they on 3?"

I get the reason they're doing this. It's not a blunder. It's actually a very sound business move.

Archived