Sad news for those of you who enjoyed TWC's local forecast music

Guest cfif

http://www.ajc.com/services/content/printedition/2009/07/03/weatherchannel0703.html

The drippy smooth jazz that for years has played in the background of the Atlanta-based Weather Channel’s “Local On the 8s” segments has been replaced with soft rock songs people can actually hum instead of going numb.

“I think we’ve been doing an injustice to our viewers playing, for the lack of a better word, elevator music on the segments for all these years,” said Geoffrey Darby, the cable network’s new executive vice president of programming, Thursday.

hope they at least keep the "Storm Alert" local forecast music.

Overall, the changes at TWC are simply too much, they've lost me as a viewer several years ago (only watch during major events such as hurricanes and etc..), I know they are moving with the times and all, but it was that music that really defined them and to make the switch to stuff that we already hear on the radio on a daily basis really kind of sucks, lol. The Smooth Jazz, is different and it is why they should've kept it, hopefully with enough viewer complaints they'll make the switch back.

Here is a link to the "Storm Alert" Music for those who haven't heard it...

[yt]Xbxdyg5IvV0[/yt]

They also have another variation too that played last year during Hurricane Gustav... What is playing above is the original. I believe they were both composed by Stephen Arnold...

• 3 weeks later...

Today the music included some of the original jazz perhaps they are forming a hybrid between the two genres? Because so far they've been playing the old style of smooth jazz and light sounds of the season styled music. Unless there are specific hours in which the soft rock plays?

The other day I heard "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" by The Temptations on my local on the 8's :).

Here's an example I found: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KhLThwaf6I

And here is an example of some of the "light or smooth jazz" similar to what they had before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn6x2k_Agm8&feature=related

So its definitely a hybrid, so as long as their keeping some of our favorite Smooth Jazz tunes, then that's fine, lol.

Yes, that's correct; there were three Storm Alert themes made by Stephen Arnold; that version above is the original version introduced in 2005 and brought back last year for Ike. Stephen Arnold made a softer remix of that one in 2006 and also made a completely different style track that year. I think both of the 2006 tracks were used for Gustav last year.

I'd assume they'd still use the Storm Alert music this year since the music is dramatic, and NBC has been all about drama since taking over the network.

Yes, that's correct; there were three Storm Alert themes made by Stephen Arnold; that version above is the original version introduced in 2005 and brought back last year for Ike. Stephen Arnold made a softer remix of that one in 2006 and also made a completely different style track that year. I think both of the 2006 tracks were used for Gustav last year.

I'd assume they'd still use the Storm Alert music this year since the music is dramatic, and NBC has been all about drama since taking over the network.

Well with several new storms on the horizon, we'll have to wait and see what they'll use :).

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't catch any storm alert music for claudette, bill or danny, but then again, they weren't in "storm alert" mode, were they?

i was a critic at first of the music change, but it's not bad, actually. i heard d.c. talk's "in the light" the other day. was kinda cool.

Archived