KENS PREMIERS NEW GRAPHICS

trey

KENS-TV premiered a new graphics package this morning. I don't really like them. The other graphics were waaay better, but that's just me.

I'll have more later...

Only change to the set is the lighting.

1.JPG 2.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG 6.JPG

7.jpg 6.jpg

I don't know what either of you are talking about...these new graphics are the best in the market. I'm sorry to say to the producer of KSAT, but KSAT's graphics don't really 'wow' viewers either, but thats me. IMO KENS' new graphics seem to fit the new music quite well. Aww...there is a picture of Ainsley Earhart, she left KENS5 to move to fox news network =(. Oh well she'll be missed.

KENS previous graphics fit San Antonio and their set to a t. They were a perfect fit for the station and its "dependable" brand identity. The new graphics do match the music better, but I still like the other graphics better. These look sort of rushed and almost look like they were done in house. They aren't bad...I've seen worse. I just don't like them.

KENS is trying to shakeup its news coverage, since they are loosing viewers to us left and right. San Antonio is a very sensational news market - and I imagine the change was made to help liven up the look of their newscast.

Our look is loud - but in this sensational town, it works. The graphics pop-out at you left and right. San Antonio obviously likes our in-your-face approach, and it will continue.

Even though they really don't matter, Feb.'s sweeps numbers will be interesting to see. I really hope we can close things up at 10:00pm and in the AM, our only weak spots. It will be interesting to see how KENS changes play out.

I also noticed that their old graphic set fit San Antonio well. hm. I guess I like changes lol. Like probably when KSAT12 changes to a new set (I hope this still is in planning stages) BTW are you allowed to give an update on how the changes to KSAT are coming along? I'm really eager to see them. I'll probably watch KSAT12 more because I like to see new things haha. I don't know why I'm like that. At this moment, would you be able to list the ranks rating wise?

Changes are still planned, hopefully things will start rolling soon. No timeline though.

Officially, we are not calling them changes...just "improvements". Whatever we are doing now is working - so we will not be rocking the boat tooooo much. You have to make sure your always on the ball, because as soon as your not, your competition is always there to take over. So, constant innovation is key to success in the news business. You can't be afraid of change, but constant change never sits well with viewers. Its a tough balance to find, but hopefully we'll get lucky.

I can't give specifics on the changes...it would ruin the surprise. Sorry B)

As for ratings....(November)

(Ratings Point, Market Share) -- Each ratings point equals about 7,000 homes.

6:00am KENS 6,19 - KSAT 6,18 - WOAI 5,16

Noon KSAT 7,18 - KENS 6,15

5:00 KSAT 12,12 - KENS 8,14 - WOAI 4,8 - KWEX 4,7

6:00 KSAT 12,20 - KENS 9,15 - WOAI 4,7

10:00 KENS 13,20 - KSAT 12,18 - WOAI 9,13

This was the first time KENS has beaten us in the mornings in several years, which prompted some pretty major changes to our morning newscast. I'm sure you've noticed - Bianca has a much bigger profile now, and the addition of our traffic police officers really helps set us apart from the other stations. We also put 2-3 reporters on the morning shift and increased our photographer count. Weather is also more plentiful. Hopefully we can gain our spot back soon.

Haven't made too many changes to our 10:00 newscast, other than promoting the heck out of it. Hopefully it will work and we can close the next ratings period as San Antonio's #1 news station (again).

San Antonio as a market seems to be about flashy and bold news graphics (with the exception of WOAI's current bunch) so this works well.

However, what is it with the Texas Belo stations and over-the-top animated bugs? KENS' is probably the least flashy of the bunch, but there's a constant shimmering effect and the time and temperature alternates with the web address.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived