Jeff Blanzy out at ABC-7

former newsboy

Saw Channel 7 weekend sports anchor Jeff Blanzy make an emotional sign-off last Sunday after 11 years with the station. Didn't really say where he was going, but found some 411 in Rosenthal's blog. Guess the station's scaling back it's sportsteam from 4 to 3, and guess Ryan Chiaverini will take Jeff's place on the weekend desk. And here I was hopin Howard Sudberry might land a gig over there...

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towerticker/2009/06/jeff-blanzy-signs-off-after-11-years-as-wls-sportscaster.html

I remember Emily Barr claiming no cuts in a interview with Lewis Lazarre: http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/1586266,CST-FIN-lew22.article

I quote: “I don’t think laying off people would necessarily help us now.” -Emily Barr, WLS-TV GM

That's not really true, is it, Emily? Call it what you will, It's a layoff.

I remember that interview she did with Lazarre and thinking that she must be living in a fantasy world. It was as if she was under the impression that Disney (WLS' parent company) wasn't going through the same economic/financial problems as other media companies.

And that the 'all powerful' ABC 7 wasn't going to have to tighten it's belt one way or another. She shouldn't have publicly dished out false hope/mis-truths about possible job cuts whether they be behind the scenes or on-air.

Saw Channel 7 weekend sports anchor Jeff Blanzy make an emotional sign-off last Sunday after 11 years with the station. Didn't really say where he was going, but found some 411 in Rosenthal's blog. Guess the station's scaling back it's sportsteam from 4 to 3, and guess Ryan Chiaverini will take Jeff's place on the weekend desk. And here I was hopin Howard Sudberry might land a gig over there...

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towerticker/2009/06/jeff-blanzy-signs-off-after-11-years-as-wls-sportscaster.html

It seems odd that Jeff would be cut and Ryan would takeover considering Jeff has been there longer.

To use The Weather Channel as an example, in their recent layoffs of on-camera personnel, only one out of the seven laid off had less than 10 years on the job. Four of the seven had been there for approximately 20 years or more.

Simply put, in the increasingly money-tight media business, long-timers are getting cut instead of the new hires because the long-timers are getting paid more. Experience is meaning less and less to the company execs. They're looking to save money by keeping the lower-paid employees on staff.

Archived