The End is near.....

ColumbusNewsFan

WKRG in Mobile did a nice sign-off featuring archival footage of the station & staff members through the years. They then showed a series of logos through the years accompanied by the typical sign-off stuff (broadcasting at 100 thousand khz by the authority of the FCC...etc...) then went to the national anthem with shots of the Blue Angels. Very classy way to end 54 years of broadcasting in Analog.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WKRG in Mobile did a nice sign-off featuring archival footage of the station & staff members through the years. They then showed a series of logos through the years accompanied by the typical sign-off stuff (broadcasting at 100 thousand khz by the authority of the FCC...etc...) then went to the national anthem with shots of the Blue Angels. Very classy way to end 54 years of broadcasting in Analog.

Yeah, thats what WTTG did here in DC.

WBIF-TV here in Panama City has gone completely dark. Station had no money, not owned by a great company - has never come on the air with digital...

Comcast has this pretty slide in:

snapshot20090613.png

please contact station.

Alas, the mandate on digital television may have sped up the demise of WBIF-TV. R.I.P. WBIF-TV (circa 2001-June 12, 2009).

And KDKA Posted their analog closedown

http://kdka.com/video/?id=58784@kdka.dayport.com

nice touch of letting the late Bill Burns have the last words on RF Channel 2 in the City of Champions

Edit:

YouTuber HanleyFilms Captured the entire sequence which included a bit of Letterman, "High Flight" the montage linked above, some analog snow, and a bit of the NAB nightlight service.

And KDKA Posted their analog closedown

http://kdka.com/video/?id=58784@kdka.dayport.com

nice touch of letting the late Bill Burns have the last words on RF Channel 2 in the City of Champions

Edit:

YouTuber HanleyFilms Captured the entire sequence which included a bit of Letterman, "High Flight" the montage linked above, some analog snow, and a bit of the NAB nightlight service.

Wow, that teared me up a bit.

Whoever edited that together did an excellent job. And padding the Star Spangled Banner's end with the KDKA Prime olympic theme completely won me over.

KTVF signed off on analog near the end of a Toyota Prius commercial during "The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien" with its last words being "It's harmony between man, nature, and machine" (which I spoke over before the signal went dark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jokFgB-8Qc

In fact, mine is the ONLY final analog sign-off video from Alaska (unless somebody can find KTUU's or KTVA's)!

I love how the lead story on Channel 6 Action News is how it's now quite difficult to get Channel 6.

And that it implies that the FCC assigned them channel 6 by leaving out that they applied to broadcast on that channel.

:confused:

I was told that the station I now work for, KFBB-Great Falls, went digital-only back on the original date in February. Don't know if they did anything specific to signify the event.

Both sets of transmitter equipment is located inside the studio building, which is located next to the tower in Black Eagle, about 2 miles from downtown Great Falls.

Interesting side note: KFBB and the Codillera/Evening Post-owned KRTV-3 are, literally, right next door to each other in Black Eagle and share the same driveway entrance and sign-post. If I can remember to take my camera Monday, I'll shoot some photos to post.

Wow, that teared me up a bit.

Whoever edited that together did an excellent job. And padding the Star Spangled Banner's end with the KDKA Prime olympic theme completely won me over.

Agreed, KDKA"s handling of the transition is one of the best in my opinion.

I didn't catch any of the St. Louis ones because I was at work when they all signed off. But I did tape KETC and all they had was a slide saying they were shutting down and I heard that KTVI just cut off without any fanfare.

Speaking of which, how has the reception of your channels changed since the switch? For me the best channel that came in for me was KETC, now I can't even get it in digital and KSDK seems to be spotty. Otherwise all the other channels seem fine for me. How about for you guys?

Post transition, I can get EVERY midstate station, except for sucky ABC27. They must not have boosted their digital signal yet. Not surprised tho. Even though they are the number 2 station here, fast becoming #3 (as WHP is continuously getting better), this does not surprise me much.

We need Rick Wagner back on news and Chuck with the weather to gain my respect and watchability back.

-- Matt

IMHO, WFAA in DFW had the best analog shutdown video using their early-mid 70s signoff. WFTV had a decent signoff with their 50s-60s black and white cat logo holding a bow and arrow in front of a target. The YT link was recorded in black and white but it was in color and was voiced by WFTV main anchor Bob Opsahl.

Link:

KTVI and KPLR's reverted their call letters back to KTVI-TV and KPLR-TV respectively. Anyone else noticing that on their stations?

I noticed WISN updated their copyright close to read "WISN-TV" instead of "WISN-TV/DT"

When I did an FCC search yesterday to see about the status of the Low-Power stations, I did notice a couple of things.

KMOV-DT is still listed as on Channel 56, but some of the other stations have already had their analog -TV allotments deleted by the FCC.

Also on that related note, I believe that WRBU is still identifying as WRBU-DT, and KDNL's top of the hour ID's still say KDNL-TV/DT 31.

Archived