The End is near.....

ColumbusNewsFan

WFRV and WIWB switched in February. WPNE switched in March [along with the other Wisconsin Public TV stations].

WBAY, WLUK, WACY, and WGBA all switched at 10AM today. WLUK aired a brief announcement about the switch---the others, I believe, all went out "cold".

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In New Orleans:

WWL and WDSU shuts down at 11:59 pm Friday night. However, both will keep their analog signals for 30 days after Friday for emergency broadcasts only. Otherwise, it will show loops of Oprah and Ellen, respectively.

Oprah and Ellen qualify as "nightlight" programming? :rolleyes:

At noon today, KUAC will be the first remaining station here in Fairbanks to shut down on analog.

KATN, KTVF, and KXD will all follow suit at 11:59 tonight.

KFXF and KJNP have already powered down their analog transmitters for good.

It looks like all the Minneapolis stations (except for KSTC and WUCW who already went all digital) are going off the air tonight at 11:59 P.M. The stations that will be included are: KSTP, WCCO, KARE, WFTC, and KMSP. Also, KSTP has decided to go HD on Sunday night, June 14. That will make the MSP market's newscasts to be all in HD. That will also be the debut of the new anchors at KSTP and possibly the beginning of KSTC's newscast. Expect new graphics, and a new set! KSTP decided to wait until after they shut off their analog signal to go all HD. I will be watching for sure tonight as TV history is made!

Here, our stations all signed off at different times. WCSC decided to switch at 6am, with a live show from its transmitter with Bill Walsh and Bill Burr. WCIV signed off at 12:30pm, while WCBD is choosing to sign off after their late news tonight, at 11:35pm.

Our Fox and My stations signed off in Feburary.

Here's a breakdown of the analog TV shutdown here in the SusquValley:

WLYH (CW15) - began digital in February

WITF (PBS 33) - began digital in February

WPMT (FOX 43) - switched at 9AM 6/12/2009

WHTM (ABC 27) - switched at 12:01PM 6/12/2009

WHP (CBS 21) - switching sometime 6/12/2009. Dont' know exact time.

WGAL (NBC 8) - switching 11:59PM 6/12/2009.

WGCB (Religious/Family 49) - switched sometime early morning 6/12/2009

I am really looking forward in receiving WHTM and WHP in HD now. Before the DTV switch, their digital signal strength was pitiful. And I only live about 7 miles from WHP's tower. How sad. Here's hoping that gets fixed today.

-- Matt

I'm guessing they found a loophole and will do something like air the loop with a DTV L-bar.

That'd be a heck of a loophole. Fortunately, it doesn't look like that's the case. From NOLA.com:

WWL-Channel 4 and WDSU-Channel 6 will keep their analog signals up for 30 more days, a "nightlight" service that will carry emergency broadcasts if needed but otherwise play looped reports about what has happened to Oprah and Ellen.

I'm guessing their particular versions of the nightlight loops will be catered to their viewers. "If you're wondering where Oprah went..."

Which brings up a very good question: If Oprah and Ellen are so insanely popular, have they done anything to help educate their viewers about the transition?

Here in CT:

WVIT 30 (NBC) just switched today, now under "NBC Connecticut"

WFSB 3 (CBS) just switched today.

WTNH 8 (ABC) just switched today.

WTIC Fox 61 just swtiched today.

WTXX 20 (CW) just switched today.

WCTX 59 (MyTV 9) just switched today.

CPTV (PBS) just switched today.

WHPX 26 (ion) switched on February 17.

WUVN (UNI) switched on February 17, now on channel 46.

Which brings up a very good question: If Oprah and Ellen are so insanely popular, have they done anything to help educate their viewers about the transition?

YES, here in Albany WNYT, who airs Oprah has also been airing a DTV PSA with Oprah explaining it.

So now that the switch has occurred for the most part, does this mean that most stations in the country will adjust and brand their call letters accordingly as well? Will they drop the TV or will they drop the DT after their call letters? For example since WABC no longer has an analog channel will they simply called WABC-DT New York? Or will it be WABC-TV / DT New York? I imagine that it can't be both because there is no longer an analog signal. I'm assuming DT stands for Digital Television and TV meant regular analog, so most stations may probably drop the TV or keep it as TV and drop the DT, since TV is more familiar to the public... Although I did notice that many radio stations are adding "HD" after their call letters as well, will the TV stations follow suit as well?

So now that the switch has occurred for the most part, does this mean that most stations in the country will adjust and brand their call letters accordingly as well? Will they drop the TV or will they drop the DT after their call letters? For example since WABC no longer has an analog channel will they simply called WABC-DT New York? Or will it be WABC-TV / DT New York? It imagine that it can't be both because there is no longer an analog signal. I'm assuming DT stands for Digital Television and TV meant regular analog, so most stations may probably drop the TV or keep it as TV and drop the DT, since TV is more familiar to the public... Although I did notice that many radio stations are adding "HD" after their call letters as well, will the TV stations follow suit as well?

-HD is the suffix for digital radio. Therefore, a TV station couldn't add it following their calls without having a radio station.

The FCC has said all station will revert back to the TV suffix but they are giving then the option to stations for them to keep the DT suffix if they want to. (damn, the FCC can't make anything simple. No, it has to be difficult as hell to understand because it's our government at work for you.:bang::confused:)

Well, it's after midnight and just a few minutes ago the remaining TV stations in Pittsburgh made the historic switch. KDKA and WTAE are currently running the bilingual program for those who are clueless, while WPXI went straight to "snow."

And in Youngstown, Ohio WKBN and WYTV made the transition at noon Friday, while WFMJ went all-digital at 12 am Saturday. As for the FOX affiliate WYFX-LP (channel 62)/ WFXI-CA (channel 17), those analog signals are still on because they are low-power. Once the FCC deals with them, FOX Youngstown as it is now called will only be available as a digital sub-channel on WKBN (27.2).

All the "shutoffs" here were pretty disappointing... not even any live "engineer/reporter/whoever presses the off button on the transmitter" reports. Everyone just abruptly flipped the switch during a commercial break or show.

I'm posting the shutoffs from here on my Youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ntropolis&view=videos

Archived