WFTV blasts WeatheRate's methods

Guest cfif

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_tv_tvblog/2009/06/wftv-blasts-weshs-promotion-that-it-has-most-accurate-weather.html

We're having a weather war in Central Florida.

WESH-Channel 2 boasts in a spot that it offers "Central Florida's most accurate local television forecast." The station cites research by WeatheRate, an independent company in Phoenix.

WFTV-Channel 9 counters by blasting WESH's claim and dismissing WeatheRate's methods.

"The vendor who sells that pitched me on it, and I said no thanks," said WFTV news director Bob Jordan. "The guy called and said, 'I've monitored the market and do you want to buy it?' Who pays the fee becomes the most accurate."

Bruce Fixman, owner of WeatheRate, countered that it's not true that the most-accurate seal is for sale.

"The numbers are what the numbers are," said Fixman, a meteorologist. "We've been doing this six years."

WeatheRate does research on the top 75 television markets. For a year, WeatheRate gathers forecasts from each station and verification data to gauge accuracy, Fixman said.

"It's very involved, there's a lot of data," he said. "There are no smoke and mirrors."

WESH was the most accurate station the past two years, and WFTV enjoyed that designation the two years before that, according to WeatheRate.

read more at link above

The same WFTV that blasted Joe Biden with hard-hitting questions and played softball when they interviewed John McCain. Seems like integrity at WFTV is going down the tubes. Even if WeatherRate is a sham, you don't need to make a public specticle about it. Just provides folks with the best weather coverage and viewers will turn in, sheesh.

The same WFTV that blasted Joe Biden with hard-hitting questions and played softball when they interviewed John McCain. Seems like integrity at WFTV is going down the tubes. Even if WeatherRate is a sham, you don't need to make a public specticle about it. Just provides folks with the best weather coverage and viewers will turn in, sheesh.

Jeez-not_agaian.jpg

Well, boo hoo to them. Just when did they start giving a damn?

You don't see other stations bantering a WeatheRate-certified station. That's like saying WMC-TV has a problem with WREG (also WeatheRate certified) calling themselves the most accurate. They just try to do a better job than complain.

Jeez-not_agaian.jpg

Ok maybe that political tangent was uncalled for. But so was WFTV station manager throwing a hissy fit and attacking their competitor and WeatheRate. Like I said before, to keep the viewers tuned in, you got to do the best job forecasting the weather, simple as that. I'm going to wait and see if WFTV's claims are true until more stations like them say the same thing.

while not from a station - a poster in another forum said---

Weatherrate is a company that goes around to stations around the country and "cooks" numbers to sell their ranking of accuracy to ANYONE who will buy it. The first station in a market who buys it, then weatherrate will FIND a time when that station was the most accurate.

I saw this happen before in other markets when they called one station and told them that they had done an extensive study that they were the most accurate. Station "A" turned them down. The VERY NEXT DAY, they called station "B" and said the EXACT SAME THING. Station "B" bought it, and for 12 months ran promos stating that "according to WeatherRate, Station "B" has the most accurate forecast in the area"

just makin conversation

I am with WFTV. Seems like some (WeatherRate) will do anything these days to make money, even at other expense. To me it is just another scam, but at the television station level. I never heard of them until now.

Archived