KDKA-TV Getting New Set From FX

takingaction4you

Well, KDKA has started broadcasting from a temp set, and they did a small piece on the morning news about the change. They showed a long shot of their primary studios under construction and it was obvious that there were FX cases sitting around.

KDKA is supposed to be going HD on June 15, so it sounds like the new set will debut then, too.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can see that it's an FX set by looking at the desk!

Seriously, FX Group, please come up with a new desk design.

I will take whoreish over that damn 1995-era set (especially the newsdesk) they've been using the hell out of, with only the latest coat of paint holding things together.

I just watched a behind the scenes tour of the KDKA studio under construction on their website and it looks like it will look pretty nice. The weather center now has what appears to be a stand that the meteorologist will stand behind (similar to what WCBS has). The desk looks pretty generic for FX Group with a monitor on the front of the desk. To the back of the desk, about 24 small monitors will go behind the desk. It will probably look like WTAE with a glazed glass in front of the monitors. They also mentioned that a bigger monitor will go behind the desk, but they said that anchors can stand in front of it, so I don't think it will be used as a background. Definatley an improvement from what they have had for the past few years!

Video from KDKA.com: http://kdka.com/video/?cid=9 (It's the video "KDKA-TV Studio Construction Tour: Day 4")

I just watched a behind the scenes tour of the KDKA studio under construction on their website and it looks like it will look pretty nice. The weather center now has what appears to be a stand that the meteorologist will stand behind (similar to what WCBS has). The desk looks pretty generic for FX Group with a monitor on the front of the desk. To the back of the desk, about 24 small monitors will go behind the desk. It will probably look like WTAE with a glazed glass in front of the monitors. They also mentioned that a bigger monitor will go behind the desk, but they said that anchors can stand in front of it, so I don't think it will be used as a background. Definatley an improvement from what they have had for the past few years!

Video from KDKA.com: http://kdka.com/video/?cid=9 (It's the video "KDKA-TV Studio Construction Tour: Day 4")

Notice the graphic on the weather pod has the 2 in a different typeface:

picture14m.png

Seriously' date=' is that the best FX can do? I mean, KD deserves better, don't get me wrong, but this really is a step up from their current set. Alas, KD NEEDS the Enforcer (in case they drop their current news music package).[/quote']

Why does everyone think EVERY CBS station needs Enforcer? It's not really that good compared to what else is on the market. Plus it's starting to sound pretty old.

I noticed that KDKA has added transitional effects to some of their graphics. The graphics are still the same however.

http://kdka.com/video/?cid=9

They are not the same, and I have a feeling that these are some of the graphics we will see when the transition to HD is complete.

For example, the blue on their lowers is much deeper. There is more of a tapering or a gradient at the edges of the graphics, whereas before they had a sharp, abrupt edge. In addition, they are now animated: the pastel bars in the over the shoulders, most notable... as well as a slight fade in the locator portion of the L3 and one of the graphics the commonly put up to briefly describe a story contains a similar animation and the doubleboxes have an outline of the CBS eye that grows and some other effects. I'd like to get some captures, but I think I'll wait until the HD debut.

One other note: I know this will tick off some of my friends at KDKA, but I was really hoping for more. Not because I am a "graphics fan boy," but because Pittsburgh's storied #1 television station deserves a professional treatment. I'll reserve further judgement for the full launch.

well, what graphics hardware are they using?

From what I can see, they seem to be using pretty outdated stuff comparable to what KYW was running before November of 2004.

well, what graphics hardware are they using?

From what I can see, they seem to be using pretty outdated stuff comparable to what KYW was running before November of 2004.

I know KDKA hasn't been a priority as far as CBS is concerned. Some of their equipment was actually hand-me-down stuff from KYW.

Don't forget that a lot of their equipment was damaged in the water main break flood a few years back; they lost the animated elements at that point and I guess it wasn't important.

I am happy to see the new equipment in place. The lowers are nice and clear... now if only someone could convince them to get Eurostile off of there. I am a firm believer that if you're looking to distinguish your logo with a distinctive typeface, you can't dilute it by using the same typeface in a more general manner.

I did get a shot of some of the new elements-- hopefully a little larger than they are on KDKA.com.

Tease:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYcjgYRw9b8

Animated supers:

Story slug and OTS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2vPLtYGVeY

If these aren't clear enough, I can link to the MOVs on the server here.

I know KDKA hasn't been a priority as far as CBS is concerned. Some of their equipment was actually hand-me-down stuff from KYW.

Don't forget that a lot of their equipment was damaged in the water main break flood a few years back; they lost the animated elements at that point and I guess it wasn't important.

I am happy to see the new equipment in place. The lowers are nice and clear... now if only someone could convince them to get Eurostile off of there. I am a firm believer that if you're looking to distinguish your logo with a distinctive typeface, you can't dilute it by using the same typeface in a more general manner.

I did get a shot of some of the new elements-- hopefully a little larger than they are on KDKA.com.

Tease:

Animated supers:

Story slug and OTS:

If these aren't clear enough, I can link to the MOVs on the server here.

Now that I look at your videos, the graphics do look different. I just caught part of a clip on kdka.com and so I thought they were the same. I, too, was hoping for a graphics overhaul, but I think these slightly updated in HD will suffice.

Since it seems were having a discussion about the new KDKA look in general on this thread, does anybody know if field video will be 16:9 upconverted or just plain old 4:3?

Now that I look at your videos, the graphics do look different. I just caught part of a clip on kdka.com and so I thought they were the same. I, too, was hoping for a graphics overhaul, but I think these slightly updated in HD will suffice.

Since it seems were having a discussion about the new KDKA look in general on this thread, does anybody know if field video will be 16:9 upconverted or just plain old 4:3?

Just hope and pray it's nothing like WBZ's attempt... only in-studio is HD. 4:3 sd taped reports, live feed, weather, and even the open!

I'm hearing possibly plain old 4:3, but plans for upconverted 16:9 are in place

. . . once more hand-me-downs make it to One Gateway Center.

Archived