Overrated News Themes

Guest cfif

Guest cfif

I know we've had an "Underrated Packages" thread....don't think we've had an overrated one.

This is sure to spark debate......

My list:

Eyewitness News - So-so at best.....a lot of WABC fanboys like to make this sound like the granddaddy of themes which it clearly isn't.

Anything "New Gen" - With the exception of Newschannel NG....most of the Gari New Gen stuff ranges from mediocre to bad.

Anything by 360 Music - With the exception of 360 (the package), all of the packages sound like a crappy attempt to sound "hip". Especially Viral.

High Velocity - Just don't care for the sound of it.....it just sounds low budget and is too soft.

The X Package - It's better than FOX 98, I guess.

Signature - A decent theme which doesn't really fit nowadays -- but a surprisingly large number of stations (WTWO, WCIA, KOLR, among others) have inexplicably picked it up recently.

The Rock - You can only do so much with the NBC chimes....seems to be used by crappy Nexstar stations alongside the WWLP VDO pack. Yuck.

• 2 weeks later...
I know we've had an "Underrated Packages" thread....don't think we've had an overrated one.

This is sure to spark debate......

My list:

Eyewitness News - So-so at best.....a lot of WABC fanboys like to make this sound like the granddaddy of themes which it clearly isn't.

Anything "New Gen" - With the exception of Newschannel NG....most of the Gari New Gen stuff ranges from mediocre to bad.

Anything by 360 Music - With the exception of 360 (the package), all of the packages sound like a crappy attempt to sound "hip". Especially Viral.

High Velocity - Just don't care for the sound of it.....it just sounds low budget and is too soft.

The X Package - It's better than FOX 98, I guess.

Signature - A decent theme which doesn't really fit nowadays -- but a surprisingly large number of stations (WTWO, WCIA, KOLR, among others) have inexplicably picked it up recently.

The Rock - You can only do so much with the NBC chimes....seems to be used by crappy Nexstar stations alongside the WWLP VDO pack. Yuck.

OK here's my take on this list:

Eyewitness News - by far one of Gari's best packages

New Generation series - Most are pretty decent updates. There should be more packages with New Generation series soon.

360 Music Production packages - Let's not forget that 3 of the 6 were really created by Stephen Arnold. Those 3 (Connection, Frequency, & 360) are the best.

High Velocity - Version 1 isn't good at all, but Version 2 is ok. That package could use a 3rd version...might sound better.

The X Package - way better than Fox 1998 Affiliate Package. The only substitute I'd choose would be Magnum Versions 2 & 3.

Signature - I'll agree with that, but the more recent updates aren't too bad.

The Rock - definitely a little overdone, substitute with Gari's NBC Collection or 615's Tower packages

Alive... never really thought it was all that great. It's not that versatile.

Seize the Day... except for the cuts First Coast News used.

Alive - Version 2 is so much better than Version 1. Seize The Day is one of 615's worst packages behind Working For You.

• 2 weeks later...

My list:

The X Package - Sounds like it's trying to be edgy, but winds up sounding bland and mild (I kind of like it, though. I know I'm going to get royally flamed for this, but I like The X2 Package better).

OSI Music's Fox station theme - I'm not a fan of Fox News's music or graphics, and seeing Fox network stations trying to ape that puts me off.

That's about it, really.

• 4 weeks later...

I definitely agree with Nathan about Gari's EWN. I know it was meant to take the place of NS2000, wasn't it? Not even close.

I am an old fogey when it comes to music. Not a fan of electric guitars. Certainly not a fan of Indie News.

With my tastes, any "update" of an original package sounds bad, with a few rare exceptions.

Updates for The One and Only, Third Coast and First News come to mind.

Here's my list:

The Gannett News Music Package - Rampage Music: It's tragic what happened to all the Gannett stations except for KARE-11 in the Twin Cities (Thank goodness! The Gannett-mandated news music package would sound AWFUL on KARE-11).

The Fox O&O News Package - OSI Music: It's growing on me, and I do not like it at all. We must put a stop to this madness before another Fox affil, O&O or not, becomes another casualty of this package.

Newswire (post-2005) - 615 Music: This news package is starting to show signs of age. It doesn't even sound like the Newswire I grew up on.

The Enforcer New Generation - Gari Media Group: IMHO the original was WAY better. Trust me.

The Tower (V.2 only) - 615 Music: Stations that currently use this version need to have it retired and get and upgraded version, i.e. V.3 or V.4.

I definitely agree with Nathan about Gari's EWN. I know it was meant to take the place of NS2000, wasn't it? Not even close.

I didn't mention EWN first (cfif did), but I agree too. The original Eyewitness News had substance to it, but all the extra updates brought in too many themes. I guess if a station chooses a few it wouldn't matter.

• 3 weeks later...
Here's my list:

The Gannett News Music Package - Rampage Music: It's tragic what happened to all the Gannett stations except for KARE-11 in the Twin Cities (Thank goodness! The Gannett-mandated news music package would sound AWFUL on KARE-11).

I disagree with this. Overrated means someone somewhere rates it highly, and you're protesting against that. I do not think anybody rates this news package highly.

I have two news music packages that is definitely overrated:

Media General Station Group News Package by JDK Music: It's plain sad that these stations of Media General have dumped the themes they used by different companies in favor of this, it's just pretty sickening. I mean, what the heck is John Keltonic thinking???!! And I thought he doesn't do news music.

--and--

Gannett News Music Package by Rampage Music New York: Like the Media General Package, this too, sounds ridiculously garbage. I can't understand why Rampage Music (the company mostly known for producing themes for WNBC, WPSG, News 12 Long Island and CNBC) had to produce this crummy package with futuristic wooing sounds, that doesn't sound too good at all. And to borrow a quote from cfif: "It sounds like a malfunctioning fax machine."

Media General Station Group News Package by JDK Music: It's plain sad that these stations of Media General have dumped the themes they used by different companies in favor of this, it's just pretty sickening. I mean, what the heck is John Keltonic thinking???!! And I thought he doesn't do news music.

--and--

Gannett News Music Package by Rampage Music New York: Like the Media General Package, this too, sounds ridiculously garbage. I can't understand why Rampage Music (the company mostly known for producing themes for WNBC, WPSG, News 12 Long Island and CNBC) had to produce this crummy package with futuristic wooing sounds, that doesn't sound too good at all. And to borrow a quote from cfif: "It sounds like a malfunctioning fax machine."

Dude...

I disagree with (the Gannett theme). Overrated means someone somewhere rates it highly, and you're protesting against that. I do not think anybody rates this news package highly.

Same with MG.

• 2 weeks later...

I worked for an MG station in 2006, during the SESAC attack and the music changeover. We went from Third Coast to Metropolis to that crappy MG package in the span of 4 months.

We had to launch the MG package at the end of December (our deadline for dropping Metropolis) with count em -- 4 cuts of music. That's all that was ready. Three tease bumpers and a main theme. That's all they gave us. From what I can tell, those are still the only cuts my old station uses.

I remember, the MG corporate folks wanted a music package that "didn't sound like news music". Well, they certainly got that. But not in a good way.

• 2 weeks later...

It's so bad, I started a topic about it. WNEG was lucky when they were bought out by UGA.

Here's my list:

The Fox O&O News Package - OSI Music: It's growing on me, and I do not like it at all. We must put a stop to this madness before another Fox affil, O&O or not, becomes another casualty of this package.

Newswire (post-2005) - 615 Music: This news package is starting to show signs of age. It doesn't even sound like the Newswire I grew up on.

The Enforcer New Generation - Gari Media Group: IMHO the original was WAY better. Trust me.

The Tower (V.2 only) - 615 Music: Stations that currently use this version need to have it retired and get and upgraded version, i.e. V.3 or V.4.

Agree 100% about Newswire. I think the only reason it's still around is that it's pretty much become Hampton Roads' MCTYW.

Agree 100% about Newswire. I think the only reason it's still around is that it's pretty much become Hampton Roads' MCTYW.

I dunno if I would go that far, but it is, by far, the longest running package in the market. I'm wasn't a fan of Newswire when I first heard it on the air here, but after a while, I caught myself whistling the logo line while going about my day. That, of course, is one of the main reasons stations use news music... sonic branding. I've also grown to like how the main cuts of the package don't get in the way of anything else. It's classic and commanding, with memorable logo notes. So, in that respect, Newswire is definitely doing its job!

I dunno if I would go that far, but it is, by far, the longest running package in the market. I'm wasn't a fan of Newswire when I first heard it on the air here, but after a while, I caught myself whistling the logo line while going about my day. That, of course, is one of the main reasons stations use news music... sonic branding. I've also grown to like how the main cuts of the package don't get in the way of anything else. It's classic and commanding, with memorable logo notes. So, in that respect, Newswire is definitely doing its job!

I remember several years ago while listening to the morning show on Eagle 97, WAVY sponsored their news segment, and Jimmy Ray said "this morning's news is brought to you by... *whistles Newswire sig* WAVY-TV 10." It's that familiar.

It's an all-around good package. The only reason why WAVY gets away with using it is because of its familiarity. I think they're the only ones still using the original 1992 themes, WEEK is using solely the updates.

• 1 month later...

IMHO, Signature (well at least the original 1990 cuts) is one of the most classiest packages ever. But you raised a good point, Chris. It might be too classy for today's all-flash/all-trash enviroment that's stinking up TV news today. As for Indie- Band News, that's another story. Bland and overrated, but it fits the enviroment today. And that's a shame. The good ol' days of news music (and to bigger point, broadcasting) is gone, forever.

(Shoulda said this when the thread started, but :))

• 3 weeks later...
NBC Collection New Generation 1-3: Probably the most overrated news music packages ever. I'm really glad a few O&O's didn't go with it, like KNBC for example.

out of the new generation, i prefer the WNBC and WTVJ's version of the package, its more hard hitting. the current KNSD and KXAS is too chimey, bubbly and morning like.

Archived