4 AM! Today in L.A...New Time

CalItalian2

Chuck Henry just announced at the end of the Channel 4 News at 11 PM that Today in L.A. will now be starting at 4 AM. New time starts on Tuesday, May 26.

KTLA recently started their news at 4:30 AM joining KABC which was the first L.A. station to do so at 4:30 AM.

KNBC is dumping the 11 PM Channel 4 News repeat at 4 AM by addng a live version of Today in L.A. at 4 AM for 1/2 hour as they appear to be continuing to air NBC's Early Today at 4:30 AM.

Chuck Henry just announced at the end of the Channel 4 News at 11 PM that Today in L.A. will now be starting at 4 AM. New time starts on Tuesday, May 26.

KTLA recently started their news at 4:30 AM joining KABC which was the first L.A. station to do so at 4:30 AM.

KNBC is dumping the 11 PM Channel 4 News repeat at 4 AM by addng a live version of Today in L.A. at 4 AM for 1/2 hour as they appear to be continuing to air NBC's Early Today at 4:30 AM.

This is a bright idea, but considering what 5 has been doing, they might jump the 4am ship too...and even add another hour at 10am to compete with 11...And now if there is a full-hour of news at 7pm, FOX11 on My13 expands to another half-hour and someone adds news at midnight and 1am...that would be mean that LA would have a live newscast for every hour either local or national.

Have commute times gotten that bad in LA?
They were worse before the downturn. Yes there is traffic by 5 AM coming towards Los Angeles so there are plenty of people up at 4. Are there enough advertisers for 4 AM is another question.

LA Traffic is the worst in the nation, anytime, anyday. Heck, I'm not surprised that people get up at 2am just to be at their office for the 9 to 5 shift, just to beat sitting on the freeway during rush hour.

That's really sad. LA has the nation's second largest transit system. Does everybody in LA act like they don't have one? LA METRO isn't, MTA, but wow.

Back on topic, a 4am newscast would have a very small audience, if any in St. Louis. The roads are dead here in at four in the morning. It didn't work in Chicago, and they've got traffic problems of their own.

Yeah, nothing beat's the transit system here in New York. Perhaps if they built more subways like they did here in New York, but then again with the earthquakes, its probably more costly for them to build them since they would have to adhere to earthquake standards...

LA Traffic is the worst in the nation, anytime, anyday.

yup i agree. especially those people who live in the inland empire and commute to the city.

shoot late at night with no traffic. it takes 30 minutes from LA to the IE on the 91, the 60 or the 10 and on a normal day with traffic. it can take an hour and 30 min to 2 hours. thank goodness for carpool lanes

It's interesting that they start at 4 AM but then play the network's Early Today at 4:30 AM then going back to Today in LA at 5 AM.

I see that KNBC is trying to be the first news of the morning but by going back to a network show at 4:30 AM they are losing a bit of continuity. I think people are busy getting ready in the morning and mostly have the tv on in the background and are not sitting watching the news like other times of the day. I think once 4:30AM hits people will change to KTLA or KABC and stick with those stations until they leave in the morning.

Is there any other station out there that has a morning news program on than goes to the network's early news and then going back local? I think KNBC might get some 4AM viewers (albeit small) but I think those viewers will be isolated and won't carry over to its 5AM broadcast.

See here in Chicago WMAQ airs the east coast version of Early Today at 4am and then they start NBC 5 News Today at 4:30. I think that would be the better way to go for KNBC than to break up their morning news with Early Today.

It's interesting that they start at 4 AM but then play the network's Early Today at 4:30 AM then going back to Today in LA at 5 AM.

I see that KNBC is trying to be the first news of the morning but by going back to a network show at 4:30 AM they are losing a bit of continuity. I think people are busy getting ready in the morning and mostly have the tv on in the background and are not sitting watching the news like other times of the day. I think once 4:30AM hits people will change to KTLA or KABC and stick with those stations until they leave in the morning.

Is there any other station out there that has a morning news program on than goes to the network's early news and then going back local? I think KNBC might get some 4AM viewers (albeit small) but I think those viewers will be isolated and won't carry over to its 5AM broadcast.

No. CBS Morning News at 4:30 AM is the lead in for KCBS's local news at 5. America This Morning is the lead in for KABC's local news at 4:30 AM. Jimmy Fallon repeat, starting on Tuesday 6/2, will be the lead-in to Today in L.A. at 4 AM. Punk'd is the lead-in to KTLA's 4:30 AM news.

That's really sad. LA has the nation's second largest transit system. Does everybody in LA act like they don't have one? LA METRO isn't, MTA, but wow.

I always get the feeling when I'm in SoCal that people think that public transit is only for poorer people who can't afford a car or can't drive. That's sad.

Why can't they just air Early Today at 3:30am, and run the news from 4am-7am?

I always get the feeling when I'm in SoCal that people think that public transit is only for poorer people who can't afford a car or can't drive. That's sad.

That's my thought. But it appears KNBC either doesnt think there is a base to support 3 morning newscasts at 4:30AM or they dont even want to try to compete. I've also noticed that they've officially shortened their 11 AM newscast to 30 minutes since starting the new half hour at 4AM.

I don't think they can. NBC runs a repeat of the Tonight Show in that time period currently. Jimmy Fallon repeat starting next week for that time period. I don't know if that time period will return to Leno in the fall or go to Conan after he gets a few Tonight Show episodes in the can but 3-4 AM is network time for NBC.

That's my thought. But it appears KNBC either doesnt think there is a base to support 3 morning newscasts at 4:30AM or they dont even want to try to compete. I've also noticed that they've officially shortened their 11 AM newscast to 30 minutes since starting the new half hour at 4AM.
Yup. Access Hollywood repeat at 11:30 AM. That's already been a bust as a rebroadcast in a number of time periods in the past including 12 noon.

You can't beat Eyewitness News in that time period anyway.

Not many open time periods for local news now. 10:30-11 AM, 3:30-4 PM and 7-8 PM are the only time periods with no live local news between 4AM and 11:35 PM.

Archived