Anchor Shuffle at WCBS

NewsJunkie247

In other words, dead last, right? Give it up already. Whatever you may think of Kristine Johnson, hey, the woman has better ratings than Tyler.

**November 2006** Dana + Jim

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 5.4/10

**November 2007** Chris + Kristine

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 5.2/10

**November 2008** Chris + Kristine

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 4.8/9

**February 2007** Dana + Jim

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 5.3/10

**February 2008** Chris + Kristine

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 4.0/7

**May 2007** Dana + Jim

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 4.9/9

**May 2008** Chris + Kristine

**November 2006** Dana + Jim

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 5.4/10

**November 2007** Chris + Kristine

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 5.2/10

**November 2008** Chris + Kristine

**February 2007** Dana + Jim

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 5.3/10

**February 2008** Chris + Kristine

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 4.0/7

**May 2007** Dana + Jim

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 4.9/9

**May 2008** Chris + Kristine

What you fail to mention is the vast improvement in ratings in the 5pm show under Chris and Kristine.

Somebody was kind enough to post ratings. Here is the link:

http://www.packofseven.tv/tvnt/showthread.php?t=3866&highlight=ratings

You will notice that under Dana Tyler, the noon news went down 1.3 points year over year!

You will also notice that at 5 with Kristine Johnson ratings went up .6

This compares ratings from May 2008 to May 2007. Thanks for whoever posted them. I will lattempt to find the latest ratings.

What you fail to mention is the vast improvement in ratings in the 5pm show under Chris and Kristine.

Keep in mind that Roz Abrams and Mary Calvi as well as Roz Abrams and Jim Rosenfield anchored the 5pm show before Chris and Kristine and largely without Judge Judy as a lead-in.

Consider that when the station did not have Judge Judy as a lead-in, the ratings were generally around a mid to upper 3.

Also consider that when Stephen Clark and Dana Tyler anchored the 5pm with Judge Judy as a lead-in, they came in second, typically with an upper 4 to lower 5 rating.

Somebody was kind enough to post ratings. Here is the link:

http://www.packofseven.tv/tvnt/showthread.php?t=3866&highlight=ratings

You will notice that under Dana Tyler, the noon news went down 1.3 points year over year!

You will also notice that at 5 with Kristine Johnson ratings went up .6

This compares ratings from May 2008 to May 2007. Thanks for whoever posted them. I will lattempt to find the latest ratings.

Keep in mind that Bob Barker was an extremely popular host of the Price is Right. Replacing him with Drew Carey led to a decline in ratings. The Price is Right serves as a lead-in to the noon newscast at WCBS-TV.

Also consider that the addition of Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg as well as a focus on politics fueled ratings growth on The View, which airs on WABC-TV and serves as the lead-in to their station's noon newscast.

Keep in mind that Bob Barker was an extremely popular host of the Price is Right. Replacing him with Drew Carey led to a decline in ratings. The Price is Right serves as a lead-in to the noon newscast at WCBS-TV.

Also consider that the addition of Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopi Goldberg as well as a focus on politics fueled ratings growth on The View, which airs on WABC-TV and serves as the lead-in to their station's noon newscast.

Carey actually has higher ratings than Bob Barker belive it or not. this article details the first five days.

http://www.eonline.com/print/index.jsp?uuid=656c0e55-2950-43f3-a5fc-250cb4eddb13&contentType=newsStory

There are others out there that confirm that Drew's ratings are higher than Bob's. So the news at noon at WCBS has a pretty good lead in.

But alas, we shall put this argument to an end. You are clearly a fan of hers, I'm proud to say I am not. That is why we have choices of who we wish to watch. I wish you and everybody else a great holiday weekend.

Carey actually has higher ratings than Bob Barker belive it or not. this article details the first five days.

http://www.eonline.com/print/index.jsp?uuid=656c0e55-2950-43f3-a5fc-250cb4eddb13&contentType=newsStory

There are others out there that confirm that Drew's ratings are higher than Bob's. So the news at noon at WCBS has a pretty good lead in.

But alas, we shall put this argument to an end. You are clearly a fan of hers, I'm proud to say I am not. That is why we have choices of who we wish to watch. I wish you and everybody else a great holiday weekend.

Of course the first week ratings were higher, everybody was sampling. But the ratings for TPIR have dropped from the first week. My understanding, however, is that CBS is happy with the ratings from Carey as they expected a drop off. And I think the target percentage was about what they expected. If I recall the initial bump was about 10%, then leveled off 10% below normal with Barker.

Also remember, they have changed the feel of the show...to a more 18-49 geared approach.

Anyway, the anchor shuffle as CBS isn't dramatic enough to really cost them viewers. People generally watch news channels for their noon, 5, 6, and 11...opposed to Channel X for noon and Channel Z for 6pm.

Keep in mind, CBS2 provides enough of a lead in for Katie Couric to keep her Evening News #2 in the NY DMA. So the 5-6:30 hour for CBS2 is fairly strong. And even more in the female demo, which is very important (compared to 18-49).

In the first five days that Drew Carey started, he enjoyed huge sampling as was expected by CBS. However, ratings have declined.

Mar 5, 2008

"According to comparisons of the first quarters of 2007 and 2008, Carey has attracted an audience that's 15 percent smaller in the first half-hour of the show (4.5 million viewers vs. 5.4 mil) and 13 percent smaller in the second half-hour (5.6 mil vs. 6.5 mil)."

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/03/carey-versus-ba.html

May 8, 2009

"The Price is Right has lost six percent this season, after losing 12 percent last season when Bob Barker left the show and Drew Carey took over as host."

http://daytimeconfidential.com/2009/05/the-price-is-right-suffers-six-percent-loss-of-ratings

Just my two cents, but when you compare ratings from one year to the next, if there's a drop, not all of it is necessarily because of the anchor switch. It seems that less people are watching news on TV these days with so many other sources to get their news from. So if Chris and Kristine lost viewers after the anchor shuffle, it could be viewers CBS2 would have lost anyway had they kept Jim and Dana on those shows.

• 2 weeks later...

With the way that the newsroom at WCBS/Ch. 2 is always being shuffled, it is no wonder that station always comes second or maybe even third to ABC7. I love ABC 7 and am so glad that they are always out on top. Its just too bad that Roz Abrams is not a part of this everlasting celebration.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived