Anchor Shuffle at WCBS

NewsJunkie247

I like Maurice and Kate in the morning. Good for them that they got the noon show. I'm a little worried with Don and Dana, though. They're two incredible NYC anchors who deserve a heck of a lot more than the 6pm show alone. Once Guiding Light goes under (later this year), WCBS should bring back the 4pm show and have Don and Dana anchor that. That way they could keep Maurice and Kate on at noon and still have Don and Dana do two shows a day. I would watch that.

I'm pretty sure that WCBS would not remove Judge Judy from the 4PM slot, since it has always served as a good lead-in for their 5PM broadcast unless they move it up to 3PM, which I doubt, because all of the other shows would be moved up, which means the Young and The Restless would air at 11:30 instead of 12:30... as well as all of the other soaps being pushed up an hour, not sure if CBS would like that...

I don't think CBS is giving up the Guiding Light hour. All sorts of things have been rumored, including a new "Pyramid" to go in that 10:00 spot. And there's absolutely no way CBS 2 messes around Judge Judy. She's the reason CBS 2 News is #2 at 5:00.

It is disappointing that CBS 2 has once again demoted Dana and I have a feeling it won't stop here. They're paying two people to anchor one half hour newscast. It's just a matter of time before they find a way to make a "budget cut."

I think Dana & Don are a very good team. Despite the fact that I haven't completely warmed up to Don's anchoring style. If they wanted to make a shift they should have given them part of the 5PM show as a half hour by either the 5 or 5:30 shift, keeping Kristine & Chris (who has improved amazingly at 6 & 11 at least for now). It makes sense for Maurice & Kate (the 2nd weakest team on 2) to add the noon, most shops do it that way.

Full Disclosure and Opinion:

I am friends with Chris & Don. Chris is a great person who works his but off and has improved 100%. Don is improving a lot as well and has earned the right to multitask by those two shifts.

To all those who are thinking that Dana & Don are on the way out. Don won't be going anywhere (too new and he is committed to 2). Dana is a great longtimer who will be back at 6 & 11 soon enough.

Why do I say Dana will be back is the fact that even former colleagues doubt Kristine talent. A former 2 reporter/anchor who I am not identifying told me Kristine is not cut out to be market 1 material.

That I do not doubt (though she was very popular and liked in RI).

Don't be surprised to see a Dana & Chris pairing soon enough with either Mary or Cindy paired with Don. Its just time.

I don't think CBS is giving up the Guiding Light hour. All sorts of things have been rumored, including a new "Pyramid" to go in that 10:00 spot. And there's absolutely no way CBS 2 messes around Judge Judy. She's the reason CBS 2 News is #2 at 5:00.

It is disappointing that CBS 2 has once again demoted Dana and I have a feeling it won't stop here. They're paying two people to anchor one half hour newscast. It's just a matter of time before they find a way to make a "budget cut."

From what I've heard, WCBS will be adding a new "Lets Make a Deal" at 10AM, as a new lead-in to TPIR.

I'm pretty sure that WCBS would not remove Judge Judy from the 4PM slot, since it has always served as a good lead-in for their 5PM broadcast unless they move it up to 3PM, which I doubt, because all of the other shows would be moved up, which means the Young and The Restless would air at 11:30 instead of 12:30... as well as all of the other soaps being pushed up an hour, not sure if CBS would like that...

Just because one show gets moved up, it does not mean all the others would be moved up. I doubt they would move the news from noon and Y&R from 12:30. More likely (if Judge Judy was moved to 3pm) would be Dr. Phil to be moved to 10am. His ratings have been going down.

But like some other posters have said, CBS is likely to keep the hour and is planning a game show to likely fill it.

Unlike others on this board, you may remember that I am not a fan of Dana Tyler, so I am ecstatic that she is only doing one broadcast. Lets remember that when Cindy Hsu was demoted from the 5pm newscast (a mistake on WCBS's part) it was reported that Tyler was enthusiastic and very happy about Hsu's demotion. Also, I know a person who worked off camera at WCBS back in 1995-1996, and she said that Ms. Tyler is very hard to work with and not a nice person.

Unlike others on this board, you may remember that I am not a fan of Dana Tyler... Lets remember that when Cindy Hsu was demoted from the 5pm newscast (a mistake on WCBS's part) it was reported that Tyler was enthusiastic and very happy about Hsu's demotion.

Please show us where this was reported and by whom. This is not true and you are exposing yourself to libel and vilification.

Also, I know a person who worked off camera at WCBS back in 1995-1996, and she said that Ms. Tyler is very hard to work with and not a nice person.

The year is now 2009. You're bringing up something that allegedly happened 14 years ago. And who is this person that worked off camera? We have only heard one side of an alleged story based on hearsay.

Here's what people that worked with Dana Tyler had to say.

From the New York Observer - Article on Dana Tyler [July 16, 2006]: She’s given to bouts of extravagance, such as treating the entire on-air crew to dinner at Nobu this April, before the start of May sweeps. She’s “very professional, very gracious, very warm,” said former WCBS political producer Alex Benes.

http://www.observer.com/node/39126

From the New York Daily News - Jim Rosenfield commenting on his former co-anchor Dana Tyler [May 21st 2008]:

"I will miss everybody I worked with in the newsroom, and especially Dana Tyler," Rosenfield said when reached Tuesday. "I've really enjoyed sitting next to Dana Tyler, it has been a pleasure and a privilege."

He said Tyler was "professional" and "giving."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2008/05/21/2008-05-21_anchor_jim_rosenfield_loses_mooring_at_c.html

It's a dangerous time that we live in when people attempt to impugn someone's character with dark and ominous whispers from the safety, secrecy, and anonymity of their keyboard.

They should really do something with the weekend newscasts. The fact that Mary Calvi needs to anchor the morning and evening newscasts is just crazy. She she should do just the mornings, or just the evenings.

I think moshewx might have heard one story from one person and decided that it must be true and must be true 100% of the time. I don't think this is fair at all. How many of us have had at least a handful of moments when we might have been seen as unfriendly? And if that was someone's only interaction with us, that would be that person's impression. Again, extremely unfair (not to mention dated).

Dana is a true professional and one of CBS 2's best. They would be wise not to mess with her and their viewers.

They should really do something with the weekend newscasts. The fact that Mary Calvi needs to anchor the morning and evening newscasts is just crazy. She she should do just the mornings, or just the evenings.

Mary hasn't been doing the weekend evenings for a few weeks now - exhausted, no doubt. I wonder if they'll shift Kristine over to weekends and put Dana with Chris. Dana Tyler - the CBS Phoenix rises again! Who'da thunk it?

I doubt a main anchor (Kristine) would get bumped from primetime/lead anchor to the weekend evenings. That's rough, not to mention a tough pill to swallow.

I think Mary was off evenings/weekends for a few weeks because she was across the pond covering the Pope and then she probably took some vacation.

I agree though, they need to get on the ball on assembling a weekend news team(s). Unless they really just don't care about it. If they aren't sinking a lot of money into the weekend shows they'll probably continue sliding by with one person anchoring all weekend. I can't believe they aren't getting network reporters to fill-in however.

I really don't see a come back for Dana. We all know the trend for young and more affordable anchors. I also don't see WCBS messing with Chris and Kristine since they are picking up ratings at 11pm, a feat that Jim and Dana could not accomplish.

I also don't see WCBS messing with Chris and Kristine since they are picking up ratings at 11pm, a feat that Jim and Dana could not accomplish.

The ratings at 11pm do not show an improvement over those what Dana and Jim had. Generally, they are the same if not somewhat lower, which is surprising given that Chris and Kristine are facing off against a severely weakened competitor in WNBC. WNBC was more competitive when Dana and Jim faced off against them.

CBS 2 News at 11:00PM was DOWN 8% year-to-year.

**November 2007** Chris + Kristine

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 5.2/10

**November 2008** Chris + Kristine

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 4.8/9

Also consider that in November 2006, under Dana Tyler and Jim Rosenfield:

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 5.4/10

Chris Wragge and Kristine Johnson had a 4.8/9, representing an 11% decline from 2006.

**February 2007** Dana + Jim

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 5.3/10

**February 2008** Chris + Kristine

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 4.0/7

Down 25%.

**May 2007** Dana + Jim

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 4.9/9

**May 2008** Chris + Kristine

WCBS CBS2 News at 11 M-F 4.8/9

Down 2%.

Please show us where this was reported and by whom. This is not true and you are exposing yourself to libel and vilification.

The year is now 2009. You're bringing up something that allegedly happened 14 years ago. And who is this person that worked off camera? We have only heard one side of an alleged story based on hearsay.

Here's what people that worked with Dana Tyler had to say.

From the New York Observer - Article on Dana Tyler [July 16, 2006]: She’s given to bouts of extravagance, such as treating the entire on-air crew to dinner at Nobu this April, before the start of May sweeps. She’s “very professional, very gracious, very warm,” said former WCBS political producer Alex Benes.

http://www.observer.com/node/39126

From the New York Daily News - Jim Rosenfield commenting on his former co-anchor Dana Tyler [May 21st 2008]:

"I will miss everybody I worked with in the newsroom, and especially Dana Tyler," Rosenfield said when reached Tuesday. "I've really enjoyed sitting next to Dana Tyler, it has been a pleasure and a privilege."

He said Tyler was "professional" and "giving."

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2008/05/21/2008-05-21_anchor_jim_rosenfield_loses_mooring_at_c.html

It's a dangerous time that we live in when people attempt to impugn someone's character with dark and ominous whispers from the safety, secrecy, and anonymity of their keyboard.

Impugh someone's charachter? Please. If somebody says something you disagree with you get all in an uproar. To quote from John Johnson's book, Only Son:

"In the space of one week, the two candidates for co-anchor each invaded my office, trashed her rival, and collapsed in tears." This of course refers to your darling Dana Tyler and Michele Marsh.

And it was reported on this very own mesasge board that Ms. Tyler was extremely happy about Ms. Hsu's demotion.

And yeah, one more thing: Can you name one time during Ms. Tyler's career when any of her newscasts were rated number one? If you can, I will eat my hat!

And if she was so great, why does she keep losing the 11PM show? Sue Simmons never lost it in over 28 years. Diana Williams voluntarily gave it up. Liz Cho hasn't lost it. And dont tell me its management's fault. There have been various management teams there over the years, and they all demoted her from 11. If she was that great, she's be on there now.

Nothing personal here against anyone on this board. We all like different anchors/reporters for various reasons. As they say, to each his own.

Impugh someone's charachter? Please. If somebody says something you disagree with you get all in an uproar. To quote from John Johnson's book, Only Son:

"In the space of one week, the two candidates for co-anchor each invaded my office, trashed her rival, and collapsed in tears." This of course refers to your darling Dana Tyler and Michele Marsh.

And it was reported on this very own mesasge board that Ms. Tyler was extremely happy about Ms. Hsu's demotion.

And yeah, one more thing: Can you name one time during Ms. Tyler's career when any of her newscasts were rated number one? If you can, I will eat my hat!

And if she was so great, why does she keep losing the 11PM show? Sue Simmons never lost it in over 28 years. Diana Williams voluntarily gave it up. Liz Cho hasn't lost it. And dont tell me its management's fault. There have been various management teams there over the years, and they all demoted her from 11. If she was that great, she's be on there now.

Nothing personal here against anyone on this board. We all like different anchors/reporters for various reasons. As they say, to each his own.

It's clear that you specialize in petty and silly gossip promulgated by clandestine gatherings at the water cooler.

As for ratings, WCBS-TV has experienced declining ratings since about the mid 1980s. Constant management, anchor, format changes, lead-in syndicated programming, network programming, corporate cost cutting, and a lack of community involvement coupled by a lack of investment played a role in the ratings declines. There hasn't been a silver bullet. Some changes have not worked, while other have led to slight to moderate success.

Dana's ratings have been competitive and are nothing to sneeze at given the overall station's track record and lack of consistency.

It's clear that you specialize in petty and silly gossip promulgated by clandestine gatherings at the water cooler.

As for ratings, WCBS-TV has experienced declining ratings since about the mid 1980s. Constant management, anchor, format changes coupled by a lack of investment played a role in the ratings declines. There hasn't been a silver bullet. Some changes have not worked, while other have led to slight to moderate success.

Sure thing, but guess what? This is from one of her former co-anchors. Or is he just a liar and I specialize in gossip? And the people that reported on this very site about Ms. Tyler being happy about Ms. Hus's demotion...are they liars too?

And how many format changes has WNBC gone through over the last two decades. Same things...management changes, newscast title changes, budget cuts, anchor changes, but Sue Simmons has not lost the 11pm show as Ms. Tyler has.

You know, back in the day Channel 2 News was number one. At a different time, News 4 New York was number one. Ernie Anastos and Michele Marsh, Sue Simmons and Chuck Scarborough, Bill Beutel and Diana Williams, and now Bill Ritter and Liz Cho, have all seen their newscasts at number one at one or more points in history. And they have all undergone major changes as has WCBS-TV. Has Ms. Tyler EVER been part of a number one rated newscast?

Sure thing, but guess what? This is from one of her former co-anchors. Or is he just a liar and I specialize in gossip? And the people that reported on this very site about Ms. Tyler being happy about Ms. Hus's demotion...are they liars too?

And how many format changes has WNBC gone through over the last two decades. Same things...management changes, newscast title changes, budget cuts, anchor changes, but Sue Simmons has not lost the 11pm show as Ms. Tyler has.

You know, back in the day Channel 2 News was number one. At a different time, News 4 New York was number one. Ernie Anastos and Michele Marsh, Sue Simmons and Chuck Scarborough, Bill Beutel and Diana Williams, and now Bill Ritter and Liz Cho, have all seen their newscasts at number one at one or more points in history. And they have all undergone major changes as has WCBS-TV. Has Ms. Tyler EVER been part of a number one rated newscast?

Dana Tyler clearly has an effect on you. I'm sure we can all sleep soundly knowing that you keep track of her every single move, alleged and otherwise, and will eager post about every time she sneezes or coughs.

Dana Tyler clearly has an effect on you. I'm sure we can all sleep soundly knowing that you keep track of her every single move, alleged and otherwise, and will eager post about every time she sneezes or coughs.

You got it! And if she EVER sneezes any of her newscasts, or should I say her only newscast remaining, to number one, I'm sure that will have a great effect on you. Her ratings are a strong third you say? In other words, dead last, right? Give it up already. Whatever you may think of Kristine Johnson, hey, the woman has better ratings than Tyler.

Archived