Harry Kalas has died!!!

stevieboy247

All the stations brought people out of the woodwork to provide reflections. Bill Baldini appeared on NBC 10, Tom Lamaine appeared on CBS 3, and Scott Palmer called into the five o'clock news on channel 6 which appropriately had Lisa Thomas-Laury filling in for Rick Williams. The most poignant moment being Gary Papa's emotional analysis on Harry Kalas's life.

In all, a fitting tribute to a guy who was loved all throughout Philadelphia.

I heard he collapsed just before 2. Me and a co-worker went right into the back to listen to 1060... and heard the news. I was in a daze for the next seven hours.

I can go on about how this man was as much a part of the aural history of Philadelphia as much as Rocky and Move Closer To Your World. About how he was the Phillies more than any coach or player or owner. About how he is, in my opinion, one of the three greatest baseball announcers ever (the other two being Vin Scully and Jack Buck).

But mostly I have to say that he was, quite simply, one of the best Voices ever. Up there with Don LaFontaine or Ernie Anderson or John Facenda or Bill Beutel. So versatile, whether he was calling a home run, or narrating a gridiron battle, or telling us that there's no money down if you buy a Ram at your Dodge dealer now. (I have an aircheck from a Cartoon Network sports spoof, where he basically complains about his mother calling while he was narrating something, and it totally works because it's Kalas.)

God bless his family during this difficult time.

I heard he collapsed just before 2. Me and a co-worker went right into the back to listen to 1060... and heard the news. I was in a daze for the next seven hours.

I can go on about how this man was as much a part of the aural history of Philadelphia as much as Rocky and Move Closer To Your World. About how he was the Phillies more than any coach or player or owner. About how he is, in my opinion, one of the three greatest baseball announcers ever (the other two being Vin Scully and Jack Buck).

But mostly I have to say that he was, quite simply, one of the best Voices ever. Up there with Don LaFontaine or Ernie Anderson or John Facenda or Bill Beutel. So versatile, whether he was calling a home run, or narrating a gridiron battle, or telling us that there's no money down if you buy a Ram at your Dodge dealer now. (I have an aircheck from a Cartoon Network sports spoof, where he basically complains about his mother calling while he was narrating something, and it totally works because it's Kalas.)

God bless his family during this difficult time.

Couldn't agree more. I was just as stunned to hear that, and last night I remember seeing NFL Films' Steve Sabol talking about his memories working with Kalas, who he called "The Voice of the People" (as opposed to legendary fellow Philly-based NFL Films narrator John Facenda as "The Voice of God").

Archived