FCC DTV Before and After Transition Maps

jerseyfla

I found an interesting find on the Roger Simmons' Orlando TV Site. The FCC has a link that has maps of every station in every market with their analog and digital signal reach and how many areas will gain or lose each station.

http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/

In looking at this I have found further proof that the county in Florida that I just moved to (Indian River) is in the wrong DMA. The DMA I live in is in the West Palm Beach DMA but I can only pick up two of those stations on my HDTV tuner box because both are transmitted in Martin County near Stuart (WPBF and WTVX) all the other stations transmit from Wellington which is south of WPB, all of these signals transmit well into Dade County. I can pull in nearly every Orlando station though but the FCC still believes we are better served by West Palm Beach. I think this is a travesty, I know building new transmitters are expensive but can't the FCC mandate that either these stations move 30-50 miles north, force Directv and Dish to make my county Signficantly Viewed for Orlando stations, or just move Indian River County to the Orlando DMA.

I realize that WPEC and WPTV were helpful and played a big part in the Miami TV changes in 1989 and 1995 because of the fact that Channel 6 in Miami couldn't reach Broward County but that has since changed as WTVJ has moved its transmitter to the Dade-Broward County line. I think it's time for stations like WPEC and WPTV to think about moving their transmitters north.

Guest Former Member 207

I saw see these recently...in my area (Los Angeles), most of the stations will gain more coverage areas, especially towards the south (near San Diego) and some to the north (near Bakersfield). I also saw that many of the Milwaukee stations will gain more coverage to the west and south.

Archived