WHDH Ditching Leno at 10PM, Running News Instead

TSSZNews

Ed Ansin made the announcement in the WHDH newsroom today that the station would NOT run Jay Leno's new show at 10PM, and instead simulcasting the existing 10:00 news from WLVI on both 7 and 56. Keep in mind that the late news on WHDH, at least as of November, has not been doing well.

This IS legit. WHDH made the announcement publicly on their air this afternoon.

I'm...not entirely sure how it doesn't break the affiliation contract, but I'll leave that for you all to work out, other than adding that I sense a MAJOR affiliation change in the Boston market soon, if this holds.

-T

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, that's a big thing, TSSZ. That is probably a violation of NBC policy, and it could cause dominoes to fall over the Boston area.

NBC very well could yank WHDH's affiliation for this.

Can they? It's no different than when WNDU decided not to air a few NBC shows (Coupling and The Book of Daniel, IIRC), except that station opted not to show it for moral reasons.

Wow, that's a big thing, TSSZ. That is probably a violation of NBC policy, and it could cause dominoes to fall over the Boston area.

NBC very well could yank WHDH's affiliation for this.

It's not as if no one at WHDH spoke to anyone at network. There had to have been some sort of conversation at some level.

Anyway, KSL 5 the NBC affil in Salt Lake City doesn't air Saturday Night Live. The mormon church feels it is too risque. It airs on the local CW affiliate instead... yet there's no risk here of KSL getting their affiliation yanked.

...I sense a MAJOR affiliation change in the Boston market soon, if this holds.

Perhaps. WWDP (46) is a ShopNBC and WNEU (60) is a Telemundo. Both are owned (in part and in whole, respectively) by NBC Universal.

Might NBC try to make a deal with Hearst-Argyle for WCVB (5) to become an NBC station, though?

The lack of a news department probably means very little to the network suits as they're gutting the O&O news divisions anyhow.

Sunbeam, then, could move CW to WHDH (7) and pick-up MyNetwork TV for WLVI (56).

Might NBC try to make a deal with Hearst-Argyle for WCVB (5) to become an NBC station, though?

............................................________

....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,

.............................,.-”...................................“-.,

.........................,/............................................”:,

.....................,?...................................................\,

.................../.......................................................,}

................./.................................................,:`^`..}

.............../................................................,:”........./

..............?.....__......................................:`.........../

............./__.(.....“~-,_............................,:`........../

.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/

..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}

...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../

...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../

............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”

............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\

.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__

,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,

.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\

...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\

................................`:,,...........................`\..............__

.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``

........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\

If anything, the Boston area would be seeing either an NBC 46 (WWDP, currently ShopNBC) or NBC 60 (WNEU, currently Telemundo.)

And if H-A switches WCVB to NBC, ABC will not be happy and will probably cause another New World.

Ansin said his contract with NBC differs from those of other affiliates who are owned and operated by the network.

"We have a unique agreement with NBC, which is unlike the standard affiliate agreement,'' said Ansin. "We have the option of not airing Leno at 10 'clock."

Clearly not if NBC is threating to pull your affilation.

I can.

Last I checked, HATV had a pretty decent investment stake in NBC.

-T

http://library.corporate-ir.net/library/72/726/72657/items/286876/HTV07AR.pdf

The term of each affiliation agreement for our ABC-affiliated stations—WCVB, WMUR,

WTAE, KMBC, WISN, WPBF, KOCO, KOAT, KITV, WMTW, KETV, WAPT and KHBS/KHOG—is

for a period of five years, expiring December 31, 2009.

Thank you, sirs.

I doubt we'll see that, though. Especially considering NBCUni has two O&Os in the region. I'm more surprised NBC hasn't moved to one of them sooner.

Thank you, sirs.

I doubt we'll see that, though. Especially considering NBCUni has two O&Os in the region. I'm more surprised NBC hasn't moved to one of them sooner.

Quite likely. Does NBC bother forming a news department, though? Or do they decide to let this be an experimental 'no news' station... which may, unfortunately, be where more stations are headed?

I Hate to say this, but I think this is a great Idea! However, If they are going to put the news at 10 then at least air it at like 3am or something. IDK, but what happens during NBC primetime when there are ads saying "Tonight on the "Jay Leno Show" (I no its not named). And what if people tune in at 10 and see 7 news at 10. But I was wondering what stations would do this, go WHDH!

I Hate to say this, but I think this is a great Idea! However, If they are going to put the news at 10 then at least air it at like 3am or something. IDK, but what happens during NBC primetime when there are ads saying "Tonight on the "Jay Leno Show" (I no its not named). And what if people tune in at 10 and see 7 news at 10. But I was wondering what stations would do this, go WHDH!

I agree. I think the whole Jay Leno in primetime thing is a HORRIBLE idea for a network that is on the verge of desperation. Besides, after a while, if the ratings really suck, stations WILL start to pull the plug and replace it with their own programming (most likely local news) and could provide some new competition against FOX stations who air news as well.

Well, I can tell you right now WCVB will not be switching to NBC. They're not going to leave ABC, a strong #3, for NBC, which is still mired in 4th. It'd be interesting to see, but from a economic standpoint, it would be a bonehead move.

If anything, the Boston area would be seeing either an NBC 46 (WWDP, currently ShopNBC) or NBC 60 (WNEU, currently Telemundo.)

I can see it now...

"You're watching NBC 46 News" or "You're watching NBC 60 News"...

I can see it now...

Follow what NBC did in San Francisco in securing Cable Channel 3 throughout numerous cable systems in the Bay Area for KNTV when they switched from KRON.

It doesn't matter if NBC is on 46 or 60. VHF is history.

I can see it now...

Follow what NBC did in San Francisco in securing Cable Channel 3 throughout numerous cable systems in the Bay Area for KNTV when they switched from KRON.

If it does happen, expect "NBC Boston" or "NBC New England."

And yet, the "NBC 3" branding lasted all of a year. They then went to "NBC 11". That said, what are the digital TV assignments. No, that doesn't matter either, given that they can set their virtual channel to something less embarrassing.

I just saw some sweeps numbers and at least around here NBC primetime finished dead last (yet the local NBC affiliate's newscasts were first.. so much for strong "lead-ins")... anyway, the source also mentioned WHDH dropping Leno and said "expect others to follow suit". That said, I could definately see "Live at 9:00" popping up on WTMJ.

Obviously it would suck for Leno (who was screwed by NBC anyway), but this could have been the best thing the network could have hoped for. Drop an hour out of primetime programming and leave it up to the affiliates to fill with news. Unfortunately I'm sure not all of them could do a 9p show so we'd probably see paid progamming or some lame syndicated show in its place... but it would save the net a few dollars.

Am I correct in saying that WHDH is paying for their affiliation with NBC? (I admittedly have no idea how the affiliation costs are worked) If so, I don't think NBC could care less...

Well, they're raising a remarkable amount of sound and fury for a organization that couldn't care less (i.e. threatening to pull its affiliation).

Anyway, does anybody know if Ansin's claim about having a different agreement with NBC allowing him to do this is true?

Archived