Len Leaving...

Bucc

here's the message WNBC sent its youtube friends:

Dear Friends,

We have some sad news, that you may or may not have heard. We are letting go of our longtime sports anchor, Len Berman. Due to a budget crisis that is going on here, we can't afford to keep him. Len Berman has been making 1M$ a year. We are proud to say though, that he has been with us for 25 years. He is expected to leave the station at the end of April or the end of May.

We attached a video of of his sports reporting.

Please understand the situation. It was either Len or Chuck. We didn't know that this would happen.

-WNBC

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Friends,

We have some sad news, that you may or may not have heard. We are letting go of our longtime sports anchor, Len Berman. Due to a budget crisis that is going on here, we can't afford to keep him. Len Berman has been making 1M$ a year. We are proud to say though, that he has been with us for 25 years. He is expected to leave the station at the end of April or the end of May.

Please understand the situation. It was either Len or Chuck. We didn't know that this would happen.

-WNBC

There is NO WAY that is WNBC. They would never mention how much someone was making and "it was either Len or Chuck"

I've got to agree with Todd here... it doesn't sound like it's someone from WNBC that has the authority to divulge that info. And even if it was, you NEVER mention someone's salary.

Further more, the writing in that message looks like it's from someone (fairly young or writing-inexperienced) who doesn't have a strong command of business writing. I can't even begin to point out the things that are wrong in that message!

EDIT: Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'm pointing out some things that erk me about that message. My conclusion: Take that YT message with a grain of salt!

“that you may or may not have heard” – WHAT?!?

“that is going on here” – this is colloquial at best and just bad writing at worse. Yes, we tend to use this phrase in conversation, but it’s not appropriate for writing.

1M$ - this is just plain wrong. $1 million.

At the end of April or the end of May – sounds wishy-washy, not to mention clumsy. If you’re intent is to put out a date without being decisive, appropriate phrases include “in the near future” or simply “soon.”

We didn’t know that this would happen – even if it’s true that no one at WNBC knew this was going to happen, you’d never want to admit this. You still need to maintain a united and cohesive front even if your company is sinking. Phrases such as this reveal to the public that there is disarray from the inside (which may or may not be true).

Yeah I completely agree, an official WNBC page would never disclose all of that information, and use such unprofessional and disgusting vocabulary like that...

Dear Friends,

-WNBC

Was that message posted on April 1st? :p

Come to find out this IS WNBC's REAL youtube page, but someone sent that message on youtube with out letting WNBC know:

"Dear friends,

There seems to be some kind of mix up here; One of our workers here, who works in our offices, sent out a letter that should have never been sent. Please note, that we are truly sorry and that, that worker never had permission from WNBC to send such an informal letter to it's viewers of Len Berman. We sincerely apologize. That worker will no longer be one of the people, who will be running our youtube account. We noticed the sent letter, when we saw the letters that viewers were sending us, calling us FAKE. Once again, we are sincerely sorry for this unexpected mix up!

-WNBC"

Adding.....

"Dear Friend,

We understand what you are feeling. The first mistake that is most noticeable, is that it included how much someone was making. A station never gives away any personal information like that to it's viewers. That letter that was sent

was outrageous. When a worker usually sends out a letter, they inform WNBC and we review it. Once they get WNBC's permission, it is sent. And yes, this is our (wnbc) youtube account. Once again, we are truly sorry for all of this inconvenience!

-WNBC "

Problem sloved.

Len's last day is Tuesday, April 21th according to yesterday's Daily News.

Why so soon, why not let him stay through May Sweeps? I wonder if there'll be an installment of "Spanning the World" for the month of April?

That WNBC Youtube page is obviously not run by anyone officially associated with WNBC. Just the language of the supposed letters to WNBC fans is so poorly written that it's obviously not from anyone at WNBC nor has been approved by anyone at WNBC.

That WNBC Youtube page is obviously not run by anyone officially associated with WNBC. Just the language of the supposed letters to WNBC fans is so poorly written that it's obviously not from anyone at WNBC nor has been approved by anyone at WNBC.

First off, shut up. STOP JUDGING THINGS WHEN YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING!!! MY GOD! What is with people today??! How is that poor language?! Whatever. i cant stand ppl when they think they knw everything.

How do you knw that isn't a wnbc page?? hmm? I think it's the real page.

stop acting like you knw when your giving silly reasonings.

First off, shut up. STOP JUDGING THINGS WHEN YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING!!! MY GOD! What is with people today??! How is that poor language?! Whatever. i cant stand ppl when they think they knw everything.

How do you knw that isn't a wnbc page?? hmm? I think it's the real page.

stop acting like you knw when your giving silly reasonings.

Umm...first off, calm down. Secondly, grow up. Thirdly, when you do calm down and grow up and learn how to properly communicate with people both in real life and via electronic communication, you'll realize that those YouTube letters were not once reviewed by anyone representing WNBC, even the supposed apology letter. If you're still scratching your head over these "silly reasonings" then you should probably stop and think why a professional television news organization would allow poorly worded and grammatically incorrect language to be published through an official communication channel.

It sounds more to me like either you've drank too much of the Kool Aid served on the alleged YouTube page or you're just the person running the page yourself and posing as a WNBC employee.

In any case, good luck with your anger management.

Umm...first off, calm down. Secondly, grow up. Thirdly, when you do calm down and grow up and learn how to properly communicate with people both in real life and via electronic communication, you'll realize that those YouTube letters were not once reviewed by anyone representing WNBC, even the supposed apology letter. If you're still scratching your head over these "silly reasonings" then you should probably stop and think why a professional television news organization would allow poorly worded and grammatically incorrect language to be published through an official communication channel.

It sounds more to me like either you've drank too much of the Kool Aid served on the alleged YouTube page or you're just the person running the page yourself and posing as a WNBC employee.

In any case, good luck with your anger management.

Dude, this is youtube?! they dont need to be sooo professional. do u really think that the viewers will give a crap for poor language, mr. english teacher? NO. All we want, is WNBC videos and they've been doing a good job with it. First off, i can tell ur an adult....which is sad...and besides you shouldn't SAY anything when you dont know about anything. Ok? you should appreciate that wnbc is uploading their videos. But, as i can tell, ur not a fan. Discussion over. LOL, you dont know wat anger managment is, sir. Drank to much kool aid??? LOL, wow..talk about poor language.........

Ha, this discussion is over!

Well first off all, any sane person will easilly know that YouTube page is blatently obviously NOT an official WNBC page. The page is useless, crappy, and its a pointless page, that really doesn't post anything important to the viewer except for promos, which are really not important at all. A video has not been uploaded in 3 months, its obviously a fan page and someone trying to immitate something their not, whoever it is better watch out, because they can get in big trouble.

Here are the reasons why not:

1. Poor, horrible page design.

2. Its clearly a fanpage because it mentions that the following:

Well I don't mean to continue veering this post offtopic, but I must say that first off all, any sane person will easilly know that YouTube page is blatently obviously NOT an official WNBC page.

If it is officially supported by WNBC, then that is truly unprofessional on WNBC's part because that is just an awful way to represent themselves, especially in this day and age where business ethics, reputation, and image over the internet, is now just as important as is at the business site. This is absolutely ridiculous and if it is their page which I highly doubt, then they are tearing up their image significantly.

I personally do not think it is an officially supported page.

No officially supported "fan page" is that down to earth with their fans, lol. And I think the page is a useless, and pointless page, that really doesn't post anything important or relevant to the viewer except for promos, which are really not important at all. No other station does this, and most stations incorporate their promos into their official YouTube page under seperate playlists. As well as news stories and etc.. Secondly, a video has not been uploaded in 3 months there are several new promos being aired by WNBC that are not even on that page, I believe it is someone else that trying to imitate and become something that they're not, whoever that it is (if this is indeed the case) better watch out, because they can get in big trouble if WNBC decides to take legal action.

Here are several reasons why this page is not an "official" page:

1. Poor, horrible page design.

2. Its clearly a fanpage because it links to a fansite.

3. A video hasn't been uploaded in 3 months... Most official news organization pages upload videos at least once a week.

4. WNBC makes no mention of the page on their website or on TV.

5. They wouldn't use WNBC-DT NEW YORK only as their callsign, they would use both WNBC-TV and WNBC-DT.

6. Horrible, profound and unprofessional vocabulary even on the two followup messages. even though the second two messages clarify and brainwash the situation which I still think are still a bit questionable, I'm really still not convinced. They would and should have made every effort to make sure that the first message they are sending to their "friends" is up to par with what is acceptable and ethical. Most official stations do not communicate with their subscribers or friends. Bottom line, I think its a fake page, no questions asked.

Anyway I think we should all move on as this post isn't about some fake YouTube page, its about the legendary Len Berman and his final broadcast that is on Tuesday the 21st. I'll definitely record that and post it online. I'm assuming he'll be doing both the 6PM and 11PM broadcast that day. And its still unbelievable that he's leaving the station...

I have to say, the page does seem slighly fan-ish but in all reality it could have been an intern project or just some overly obsessed fan (see: WNBCman).

The interesting language is the description that says if you are an NBCNewsfan you can do blah blah blah and WNBCman seems to play his screenname of that very nicely.

And to see somebody get so worked up over a Youtube channel....ummm, it couldn't be any more obvious than a kid standing in the kitchen with cookie crumbs on his face. Clearly WNBCman is behind, in some capacity, this tube channel or he wouldn't have been overrated like a teenager in his initial reponse. I mean, holy crap son...back down just a tad.

Dude, this is youtube?! they dont need to be sooo professional. do u really think that the viewers will give a crap for poor language, mr. english teacher? NO. All we want, is WNBC videos and they've been doing a good job with it. First off, i can tell ur an adult....which is sad...and besides you shouldn't SAY anything when you dont know about anything. Ok? you should appreciate that wnbc is uploading their videos. But, as i can tell, ur not a fan. Discussion over. LOL, you dont know wat anger managment is, sir. Drank to much kool aid??? LOL, wow..talk about poor language.........

Ha, this discussion is over!

Well, TrfRptr, he also doesn't seem to like being around adults, because he seems to be annoyed by them...

To answer your question WNBCMan:

YES, they do have to be professional, and YES the viewers will give a crap about their image and presentation. Because its their reputation that is at stake here. Obviously you know little about business communication and marketing because if you did, you wouldn't say anything like this and you would like everyone else see what is going on here. So I think you're the one that needs to go out there and get the education because clearly by the tone of this reply post, you don't have one. But it also seems you don't like being around intelectual adults, so that clearly sums it all up about you, I guess you're a lost cause...

I'm pretty certain that the page is (sadly) WNBC's...they update their videos quite often, contrary to Vlad's statement of "every three months", and they have some videos that wouldn't be publicly available...

I'm pretty certain that the page is (sadly) WNBC's...they update their videos quite often, contrary to Vlad's statement of "every three months", and they have some videos that wouldn't be publicly available...

Well, interestingly, it seems the page was recently updated after these recent posts so I'd take a look at it again DMA, the new "updated" description clearly now shows the verdict of this entire thing:

This was taken directly from the description on the updated page, clearly that newly banned individual was screwing us around...

we're thinking of uploading our Rampage Music Package, since we dont use it anymore.[/b] If you would like this to happen please send us a message.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WNBC4NY

Aside from the horrible vocabulary and grammar, the part in bold in the above quote alone hopefully will now end all of this discussion...

Yes, I understand it is quite a crappy site, but they've given me somewhat reliable stuff before...it might be unauthorized. Then again, they just could know vague inside info, and don't work for WNBC at all...

Maybe this is new, but the channel description now says:

Welcome to the WNBC fan youtube channel. This channel is made for News 4 viewers who are fans and is completely run by a viewer who has inside information at WNBC, due to sources.

Archived