ABC 7 - HD Newscast, Graphics, & Music Soon?

Vlad

Well it has finally happened, can the big bold lettering Zurich Fonted letters on WABC's L3 finally go away this weekend? On average looking back at their previous changes, WABC usually unveils a new aspect to their broadcasts primarilly on the Last Saturday of January. But while we await the current change, lets take a look back of the changes that WABC has done thus far.

Notable ABC 7 Eyewitness News Change History:

- November 1998 - January 1999, WABC had switched to Series 4 of Eyewitness News and have unveiled new graphics and began ABC 7 branding. Previous set has been updated(Circle 7 with the ABC Logo).

- November 2003 - January 2004, WABC began to transition and unveil the graphics that they currently use right now, the OTS and L3s are in Zurich font and italicized with big fonts, etc.

- January 24, 2005, they unveiled their current set.

- July 2005 - September 2005, Talent intros are now shown before each broadcast.

- November 2005, All newscast promotion graphics have now been modified and updated.

- April 2006 NewsCopter 7 HD. The first signs of HD broadcasting began, an HD camera has been added to NewsCopter 7. The other helicopter which belongs to MetroTraffic does not have an HD camera, which is why at times when watching Eyewitness News, you'll notice that it doesn't ALWAYS say HD, this is because they could either be using the other helicopter or HD chopper is experiencing difficulties with the HD Camera.

- December 2006 After a sucessful sweeps period and the victory of all time slots for the weekdays, WABC now tries to broadcast in 16:9 aspect ratio, the graphics don't bode well in this format, but are signs that WABC has now installed HD cameras in the set. Since then till now, all studio shots are shot in 16:9 aspect ratio. Also, there have been a few field live view cameras that are also now in HD.

Now that we've taken a look back of these changes, this weekend will perhaps finally be the weekend in which WABC gets a new graphical and music overhaul. Graphics are done in-house according to nynewsguy. And WABC is slated to debut new music from the New Generation Eyewitness News Package from Chris Gari. There is also some rumors that the new music has been composed exclusively for WABC and that it will be a complete new CD for the channel. Similarly done back in 1999 with their current package. So we can possibly expect new talent opens for every broadcast, new promotion graphics to match the newscast graphics, and more importantly and possibly a broadcast in which EVERYTHING is shot in HD, field cameras, live cameras, set cameras, everything in High Definition. Could they rebrand as "ABC 7" instead of "Channel 7"? That is a possibility.

Should WABC accomplish this, they will surpass WLS and KABC. In terms of technology and music. WABC may probably become the ultimate flagship representation of an Owned and Operated ABC station. Should all of the above mentioned takes place this weekend. Of course most of the stuff mentioned is mostly my speculation and hypothesis of what could happen bear in mind that nothing I said here is definite, lol. But these are probable and can happen based on what was done in the past.

So now we wait and see what happens on Saturday! What I will miss the most is their current theme, and based on what has been said, the new generation packages of Eyewitness News aren't the best but hopefully this new theme will be amazing, and even better than what they use now.

-Vlad

Wow. I will very much so miss this theme as we move into the next but It's always good for change and it's nice that this is happening. But like you said VLAD, if they did or did not have this change, it's about how to news is delivered and WABC will always do that right.

Well you don't want to end up like WPVI.

Wow. I will very much so miss this theme as we move into the next but It's always good for change and it's nice that this is happening. But like you said VLAD, if they did or did not have this change, it's about how to news is delivered and WABC will always do that right.

Well you don't want to end up like WPVI.

LoL! You got that right!

So, did it happen?

I think that it will probably happen during the actual sweeps which I believe starts either on Monday or probably on the first full week of February which would be February 5, 2007. If not then I'm assuming that they'll probably do everything all together in September 2007 when Studio 7 becomes fully acquired for Eyewitness News. New Set, New Graphics, New Music, etc. But that iis definitely a long time from now.

-Vlad

Its not gonna happen even on Monday. I just saw a promo for Monday's Eyewitness News This Morning and they are using the same gfx. Usually when WABC updates their gfx they already integrate the promos for the debut day with the new gfx (even if the promo is shown a few day before.) It might be just another week or Fall 2007.

So, did it happen?

I think that it will probably happen during the actual sweeps which I believe starts either on Monday or probably on the first full week of February which would be February 5, 2007. If not then I'm assuming that they'll probably do everything all together in September 2007 when Studio 7 becomes fully acquired for Eyewitness News. New Set, New Graphics, New Music, etc. But that iis definitely a long time from now.

-Vlad

I think that even though I want to see them now, they should just wait until September.

Nothing on Eyewitness News This Morning Sunday.

It may be tonight at 6PM like how their current set was revealed but I doubt it at this point.

So, did it happen?

-Vlad

I think that even though I want to see them now, they should just wait until September.

It may be tonight at 6PM like how their current set was revealed but I doubt it at this point.

*UPDATE*

There are still problems getting the HD imaging (graphics, etc) to feed through the board. Everything is being worked out still - this is what is causing the delay.

So, did it happen?

-Vlad

Sweeps begins on Thursday. I believe it's always a four-week period beginning on a Thursday.

Guest zas1977

Sweeps begins on Thursday. I believe it's always a four-week period beginning on a Thursday.

You're right...

Nielsen 2007 Sweeps Dates:

February 2007 February 1 - February 28, 2007

May 2007 April 26 - May 23, 2007

July 2007 July 5, - August 1, 2007

November 2007 November 1 - November 28, 2007

So, did it happen?

-Vlad

*UPDATE*

There are still problems getting the HD imaging (graphics, etc) to feed through the board. Everything is being worked out still - this is what is causing the delay.

So when do you thin it will be fixed?

It sounds like this HD stuff was brought in too recently not giving them enough time to get the kinks out. They should have had all this stuff availlable way in advance to make sure they work things out and have it good to go.

BTW-if they don't get the kinks out by the beginning of sweeps, will they deley it further to another sweeps period or Fall 2007?

So, did it happen?

-Vlad

*UPDATE*

So when do you thin it will be fixed?

It sounds like this HD stuff was brought in too recently not giving them enough time to get the kinks out. They should have had all this stuff availlable way in advance to make sure they work things out and have it good to go.

BTW-if they don't get the kinks out by the beginning of sweeps, will they deley it further to another sweeps period or Fall 2007?

Well, at this point I think we should just wait patiently untill the day comes, I don't think nynewsguy would want to reveal anymore information ;). But I wouldn't mind one more television year with their current graphics. Remember, new graphics, music, or not will not fault ABC 7's excellence.

-Vlad

Its not gonna happen even on Monday. I just saw a promo for Monday's Eyewitness News This Morning and they are using the same gfx. Usually when WABC updates their gfx they already integrate the promos for the debut day with the new gfx (even if the promo is shown a few day before.) It might be just another week or Fall 2007.

That's actually not true. Also, the current graphics package did not debut on a weekend or on the first newscast of the day (the morning news.) It debuted on a Monday and on the 5 p.m. newscast.

That's actually not true. Also, the current graphics package did not debut on a weekend or on the first newscast of the day (the morning news.) It debuted on a Monday and on the 5 p.m. newscast.

Well I still highly doubt that anything will happen today or even for the rest of the week. Its something that seems that could happen in the middle of next month, during the sweeps.

-Vlad

Archived