"20/20" 1985 opening

bmasters1

I was looking at the 1985 "20/20" opening that "robatsea" had posted a clip of on YouTube (link under Classic Video), and I posted a comment to the effect that this, I thought, was the best opening that the program ever had (because of the fact that there was a magnifying glass rising up to clear up the blurry ABC News globe), and as such, this opening could be interpreted somewhat (at least to me) as "bringing the world into 20/20 focus." There is something that I'd like to know about it, though:

How did they get that magnifying glass to rise up and clear up the globe, and having done that, to first stamp the axis on the globe, and then fold up and go in between the 20's of the title, only to open up again when the 20's pulled in different directions (this to bring up shots of anchors Hugh Downs and Barbara Walters)? I had read on the comments that this was done with some advanced CGI for 1985, but I was just wondering.

Archived