6:30pm local news

Link

I'm surprised that one of the other local stations besides KTLA doesn't air local news at 6:30pm. It is ridiculous for all three network newscasts to be on at 6:30pm when in LA they have the option of airing them earlier and most west coast stations do. I'd rather have local news on from 6-7pm and put the network news at 5:30 (just because they have to air it somewhere). I usually turn the channel when it comes on because I'm not interested in a bunch of worldwide depressing stories.

Just a hunch, but considering that all three stations are owned by their respective networks, I imagine they are required to air their newscasts in the 6:30pm time slot, which puts it "in pattern" with the rest of the country (meaning, 6:30 ET, 5:30 CT & MT, 6:30 PT).

Just a hunch, but considering that all three stations are owned by their respective networks, I imagine they are required to air their newscasts in the 6:30pm time slot, which puts it "in pattern" with the rest of the country (meaning, 6:30 ET, 5:30 CT & MT, 6:30 PT).

Network owned stations in San Francisco (KPIX, KNTV, and KGO) air their network evening newscasts at 5:30 PT.

Also, KDKA in Pittsburgh and WJZ in Baltimore are both owned by CBS, but they air the CBS Evening News at 7PM EST.

I'm surprised that one of the other local stations besides KTLA doesn't air local news at 6:30pm. It is ridiculous for all three network newscasts to be on at 6:30pm when in LA they have the option of airing them earlier and most west coast stations do. I'd rather have local news on from 6-7pm and put the network news at 5:30 (just because they have to air it somewhere). I usually turn the channel when it comes on because I'm not interested in a bunch of worldwide depressing stories.

LA is a flagship market, just like New York, so it would only make sense to, as in the case of New York, air the newscasts at 6:30.

But, this hasn't always been the case. NBC Nightly News has aired at 6:30 for many many years, possibly dating back to the NewsCenter 4 or even NewsService era.

KABC and KCBS aired ABC World News Tonight at 7 during the 80's, though at one point (circa 1986) KCBS had CBS Evening News at 6:30, then a 7pm Local Newscast. KCBS moved CBS Evening News to 5:30 during the Action News era and had a full hour newscast at 6...but by 1999, CBS joined the 6:30 National News battle.

KABC aired ABC World News Tonight at 7pm during the 70s and 80s, and had three-full hours of news from 4-7pm, though during the early CapCities days, KABC had a special local-centric newscast called "EYEWITNESS UPDATE" at 6:30, but by 1990, that show was cut, and WNT took over at 6:30.

Personally, it would be interesting to see KTTV or KTLA try to compete with the big 3 from 4-6:30p, but the ratings are too intense between the three with KABC and KNBC fighting for top spot. So it would be hard to see KTTV or KTLA try to make it in. I know KTTV is trying again at 11, but it's gonna be a hard sell. I wouldn't consider My13News a real newscast and thankfully, the program was dropped.

If I recall KCAL once tried a 6:30 newscast but failed.

KNBC use to air NBC Nightly News at 7 PM for many, many years, for the record.

It use to be Marlow at 5 (full hour), Snyder at 6 (full hour) and Moyer at 11 (and prior, Brokaw at 11 before he left for NBC duties in D.C.) during the 70's.

Network owned stations in San Francisco (KPIX, KNTV, and KGO) air their network evening newscasts at 5:30 PT.

Also, KDKA in Pittsburgh and WJZ in Baltimore are both owned by CBS, but they air the CBS Evening News at 7PM EST.

If I recall, KPIX had a 6:30 PM newscast..unlike the other CBS O&O's that air the CBS Evening News at 6:30 or 5:30, KPIX airs the CBS Evening News at 6 PM.

Archived