CBS 2 observations...

qwertywcbs

just a few things I have noticed recently at WCBS.

1) I hate how now they put "CBS 2 News" or "CBS2 News" under the reporters name, even if they are a Newspath, or another CBS O&O station's reporter. Why can't they just put the location like they used to? This has been going for a little over a month and it drives me nuts.

2) On wcbstv.com, they replaced the numerous times they called John Elliott a "weathercaster" in his biography to say "meteorologist." So I guess he is a meteorologist?

3) I turned on CBS 2 News this morning at around 6:08 this morning and John Elliott was yelling and going balistic about "playdates" saying that when they were kids they would go out into the street and play. I turned the TV off a minute later. Where's Audrey? I miss Audrey!

oh... when will CBS 2 learn... well sweeps starts soon (or started.. i don't really know or care for the exact date)... so hopefully ratings will suck for them and we'll get another overhaul.

just a few things I have noticed recently at WCBS.

1) I hate how now they put "CBS 2 News" or "CBS2 News" under the reporters name, even if they are a Newspath, or another CBS O&O station's reporter. Why can't they just put the location like they used to? This has been going for a little over a month and it drives me nuts.

2) On wcbstv.com, they replaced the numerous times they called John Elliott a "weathercaster" in his biography to say "meteorologist." So I guess he is a meteorologist?

3) I turned on CBS 2 News this morning at around 6:08 this morning and John Elliott was yelling and going balistic about "playdates" saying that when they were kids they would go out into the street and play. I turned the TV off a minute later. Where's Audrey? I miss Audrey!

oh... when will CBS 2 learn... well sweeps starts soon (or started.. i don't really know or care for the exact date)... so hopefully ratings will suck for them and we'll get another overhaul.

1. who cares

2. I guess he took a couple of science classes

3. You'd complain about playdates too if you were old enough to remember " go outside and play"

And I miss Audrey too

Guest Junk Junk

...Tribune's national news service reporter, "Grrrant Rampy"...

funny stuff - nice to know I'm not the only one who's noticed his interesting tag...

That's exactly what I was saying since he arrived at CBS2. He, to me, is too clowny and him yelling so much bothers me in the morning that I can't even dare watch CBS2 because even if the volume is low, it is still loud. For those that have been watching, you can see an CLEAR ATTITUDE from Maurice DuBois to John Elliot. Maurice always makes jokes about him, etc., and I DO NOT blame him.

Just watch WABC and everything will be all better.

Just watch WABC and everything will be all better

I do; I've switched for sure and for good.

I don't know if it's from Peter Dunn or David Friend or idiotic consultants but someone has the idea that small talk, funny stuff and antics is now the way to go and watching them try to do it is very embarrassing. There is no true raport amongst any of them- it looks and sounds very forced.

Anyone catch Chris Wragge and Kristine Johnson trying to talk after the rescued dog story yesterday? The IQ between the two of them can't top out over 50 so the banter is something you'd expect from 6 year olds.

Anyone catch Chris Wragge and Kristine Johnson trying to talk after the rescued dog story yesterday? The IQ between the two of them can't top out over 50 so the banter is something you'd expect from 6 year olds.

Did you hear them that time when Kristine made a lunch date with Chris on air? I think they're trying too hard to get a chemistry going. Somethimes I feel that Chris can get long winded when he talks about a story.

It was a CBS O&O mandate that started around 2002 or 2003. I don't know if it still is or not. WBBM in Chicago has been doing it since then. The FOX/Newscorp O&O's are starting to do it now too.

Technically, it also shouldn't say "CBS2". It should be "CBS 2". From what I heard, the channel number is supposed to be separated from the network name with a space; although, some stations don't do it or just don't care. It isn't really a biggie.

Yes, Lou's thing has always been there... which when wcbstv.com launched I took an assumption and said that the talent themselves must be writing it in. For example, Lou's says "Nightside Weekdays", while Kristine's says "12N & 5pm" and Chris's says "Noon & 5pm" while Dana and Jim's say "6pm, 11pm", and Doc Holly's says "CBS 2 News This Morning, CBS 2 News At Noon, CBS 2 News At 5, CBS 2 News At 6, CBS 2 News At 11."

you think they'd put some uniformity into it.

Yeah, it's very picky, but I also prefer the reporter's location being displayed beneath his or her name. And I think the "CBS2" looks sloppy. I wish they'd put the space there, like lazynetjunkie said, and be consistent.

And, speaking of inconsistency, I agree with qwertywcbs. I don't know if the reporters wrote them themselves but it might have something to do with the fact that they were all written at different times.

So did they write their own bios as well?

Other Observations:

Why can't they make up their minds on whether or not to show the five day at 5:20pm or not. Sometimes you would watch expecting them to show it and they don't, the next day they do.

What happened to lottery and stock market numbers? They don't show them anymore.

Most of you have probably have seen their weather promos, with Jeff John B, and John E. If you didn't, you can have a look on Newsbyte2. Don't you think it's corny? You see their in a middle of a conversation then all of a sudden they stop in midway and smile at the camera. ::)

When will Quinn arrive? Usually WCBS likes to debut their new talent on a Tuesday after a Monday holiday. Based on that assumption he won't here till after President's Day. Today's Daily News say WCBS had no news to report on this matter. But then again they also debut their talents before a sweep period.

So did they write their own bios as well?

Other Observations:

Why can't they make up their minds on whether or not to show the five day at 5:20pm or not. Sometimes you would watch expecting them to show it and they don't, the next day they do.

What happened to lottery and stock market numbers? They don't show them anymore.

Most of you have probably have seen their weather promos, with Jeff John B, and John E. If you didn't, you can have a look on Newsbyte2. Don't you think it's corny? You see their in a middle of a conversation then all of a sudden they stop in midway and smile at the camera. ::)

When will Quinn arrive? Usually WCBS likes to debut their new talent on a Tuesday after a Monday holiday. Based on that assumption he won't here till after President's Day. Today's Daily News say WCBS had no news to report on this matter. But then again they also debut their talents before a sweep period.

That talking and looking up has been a common technique used in a ton of different ways on television for a while. WCBS has used it often, most recently before this with the Chris/Kristine promos.

If Bolaris was being replaced this week, that promo would not have just debuted. I say end of February does look like a probable time for him joining, or March. I think it'd be funny if Lonnie never joined WCBS and joined WNYW or something. I just find it funny that word gets out he was seen interviewing at WABC and WCBS, so everyone now assumes Bolaris is being replaced. I must give it to Bolaris though, he knows something is up, and he still pushes on as his same old self.

Am I the only one on here that actually likes Bolaris?? I really think he's good at what he does, he's just not another stiff weather dude.

It took me a while but I finally warmed up to him, now that I no longer watch wcbs, its still a shame if they give him the shaft

John's (Bolaris that is) very good at what he does. He's an accurate guy, outside his 1 bad call here in Philly, which wasn't totally his fault. He adds flavor and creativity, and delivers well. I miss seeing him here in Philly, but with all that's going on up there in N.Y., maybe we'll get to see him in the #4 market once again. WCBS's management would be stupid to get rid of him, but we all know that they aren't the brightest people in the world.

Archived