6ABC Weather

liveshot12

What's happened to 6's weather crew? Am I the only one who's noticed lately that they have been off their game predicting the weather? I mean Murphy has been awful, and yesterday at 5:30 Tynan told all the kids to "do their homework" because this wasn't going to be a big event. By 11:20 p.m., Tynan was showing a map covered in white. Bottom line, we have at least 6" perhaps 7". Phila. schools are closed. It really must be great getting paid the big $$$ for nothing. Oh, and they can all stop w/their "chilly and breezy" on days when it's 31 degrees, w/a wind chill of 22. That's not chilly and breezy. That damn cold and windy.

ALL of the local stations blew the forecast. Not just 6.

Hurricane Schwartz was repeatedly saying "this is not going to be a major event, do not believe what you've heard on the radio, you're not getting anything" while ripping every other news organization. 3 (and 29 I think) was staying mostly on the low-end.

It's about this time every year that I miss Rob Guarino madly.

Yeah, somebody was telling me this morning about Schwartz's forecast too. God, how awful.

Hurricane apologizes.....http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/the-insider/The_Bowtie_apologizes.html

Apparently, the only people to get this right was Rob Guarino, out in New Mexico, and Al Morganti, 610 WIP sportscaster.

Winter Storms are among the most difficult storms to forecast. The Mid-Atlantic and New England Area itself is among one of the toughest regions to forecast the weather in because of the Atlantic Ocean. The Ocean has a major influence in the weather and it can certainly play a major role on different storms that track to the northeast. This storm was a Nor'easter, it obviously brought cold air behind it from the northeast, and the low pressure center was situated in a position that favored more snowfall, due to increase in convergence aloft. Funny though here in New York we didn't even get that much snow... The most that fell here was about 2 - 3 inches.

Archived