Obama Recommends Delay in Digital TV Switch

Geoffrey

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truthfully, I don't think it can be extended anymore...they already sold the current bandwidth to several companies, I doubt it will be extended... there are several stations that have already begun the process of switching equipment at their transmitter sites...this had been set in stone a while ago, and it should, still, very well happen.

Well it is the Government we're talking about, so it can be extended.

I think I said something along the lines of this yesterday - if you really cared, you would have gotten your boxes by now or upgraded to a pay TV service. If you were lazy and you did not, oh well. You had plenty of time and don't tell me you can't afford the $0-10 for a box (after the coupon).

TVs should have been sold with digital tuners years ago, when they first started to plan the switchover.

They were.

An FCC mandate established that any TV or device with a television tuner (DVR, VCR, DVD recorder, etc.) manufactured after March 1, 2007 must have an ATSC digital tuner. Actually, any TV 36" or larger made after July 1, 2005 must have an ATSC tuner as well.

I totally disagree with a postponement of the digital transition. I requested my coupons last year, and I didn't even have a TV that needed a converter box (I'm HD-only). So I used one to get a box for a TV my grandmother has that's OTA-only and gave the other to my dad to use on the garage TV. If you haven't gotten around to getting ready for the transition by now, you deserve to be SOL.

They were.

An FCC mandate established that any TV or device with a television tuner (DVR, VCR, DVD recorder, etc.) manufactured after March 1, 2007 must have an ATSC digital tuner. Actually, any TV 36" or larger made after July 1, 2005 must have an ATSC tuner as well.

I know... what I meant was even earlier.

It's a recommendation, but it won't happen. Besides allowing this delay will only waste more money than save, as the government could save millions by switching off analog signals....let's face it...the DTV transition was to have happened in 2003 or 2004, then pushed back to 2006 and now pushed back to 09..and already some markets have made the switch such as Wilmington, NC.it's on.

...and already some markets have made the switch such as Wilmington, NC.it's on.

The only issue I've really seen in Wilmington wasn't the lack of converter boxes, but receiving the signal. In September when analog was turned off, WECT's digital signal wasn't at full power. For many years, WECT's analog signal was well-received in places like Cumberland County (in the Raleigh DMA) where viewers were more accustomed to watching NBC from WECT than WPTF or WNCN. It's at full power now, though I think WSFX is a bit difficult to get with a regular set of rabbit ears.

My understanding this was known longer than a year ago...

The potential to air in HD has been known since at least the early-80s. I've seen a few reports from c. 1982 talking about HD being the future of television.

As far as mainstream knowledge, WTKR was airing commercials about HDTV as early as 2002. The public has had more than enough time. I get Obama's point, but there's only so much more you can do. We're bombarded enough with HD commercials and countdowns as is!

The potential to air in HD has been known since at least the early-80s. I've seen a few reports from c. 1982 talking about HD being the future of television.

As far as mainstream knowledge, WTKR was airing commercials about HDTV as early as 2002. The public has had more than enough time. I get Obama's point, but there's only so much more you can do. We're bombarded enough with HD commercials and countdowns as is!

You do know this is only a digital switch right?

Wow you saw a report from 1982 and I got my converter box hooked up to my TV I purchased in 1982. But remember when the switch does happen its only FULL power TV stations, as LPTV will still broadcast in analogue.

That was analog HD, which there were a couple formats developed in the 80s: MUSE in Japan and HD-MAC in Europe. Not sure how viewers would fare today in the US if we were to go down that route.

To some, it makes sense, spend more $$ telling people, "Hey the switch if OFF!!!" - This of course after spending $$ to tell them the switch is on.

Later, the gvt can spend more $$ telling people, "Hey the switch if ON" again. I am sure people will rush to Best Buy to get the converter they could not get now, install it and believe the gvt would not say again, "Hey, the switch is OFF"!!!

The public has had too much time to prepare for this change. They need to get with it. - and do it. It seems to me that Obama has a bigger problem to tackle than this when he takes office.

I agree with most of you that people have had plenty of warning about the pending switch. It would only cost more money to delay it after hammering 2/17/09 into our minds for the longest time.

Here's my thinking... Come February 17, I think broadcasters should replace the programming on their analog signal with a standardized repeating message saying that all OTA programming for that station is now in digital, and if you're reading/seeing this it means that you are not ready. Explain the options (for the millionth time), point them to a website or phone number. Rinse and repeat. 24 hours a day for about a week or two. No other programming on the analog signal whatsoever. Then cut off analog transmissions for good on Feb 24 or Mar 3. Stations who need to flash-cut to digital would do so as planned by Feb 17. This plan wouldn't really be effective in those locales that have more LPTV stations than full-power stations. The purpose of all this being that after Feb 17, anyone who hasn't installed a converter box, upgraded their TV, or switched to pay TV service (in other words, would be still be relying primarily on analog signals) won't get their ordinary programming when they turn on their TVs.

Seems everyone is bashing "the person" who has not got a converter box or other method to receive digital television. It seems that the government is the one to blame if there is a delay because they did not adequately fund the coupon program to provide the digital converter boxes. There are 1 million people on a waiting list becuase there are no coupons left. I agree with PBS president in that free tv should remain free and that everyone who has a television should be able to view it. Why punish those people when the government has not held up their side.

Seems everyone is bashing "the person" who has not got a converter box or other method to receive digital television. It seems that the government is the one to blame if there is a delay because they did not adequately fund the coupon program to provide the digital converter boxes. There are 1 million people on a waiting list becuase there are no coupons left. I agree with PBS president in that free tv should remain free and that everyone who has a television should be able to view it. Why punish those people when the government has not held up their side.

Well some of those "people" need to get with the times. Sometimes, that means buying an updated television set. If you didn't get your coupon yet, or didn't apply early, why should the rest of the country have to deal with your problems. Most of Americans are ready, and like anything that requires change, there will always be those who are never ready in time.

Well some of those "people" need to get with the times. Sometimes, that means buying an updated television set. If you didn't get your coupon yet, or didn't apply early, why should the rest of the country have to deal with your problems. Most of Americans are ready, and like anything that requires change, there will always be those who are never ready in time.

well said ntx!!

They were.

I totally disagree with a postponement of the digital transition. I requested my coupons last year, and I didn't even have a TV that needed a converter box (I'm HD-only). So I used one to get a box for a TV my grandmother has that's OTA-only and gave the other to my dad to use on the garage TV. If you haven't gotten around to getting ready for the transition by now, you deserve to be SOL.

I totally agree. I have no sympathy for those who wait until the last minute.

I wish I could have waited to get my coupons. I got them earlier this year, but the approved boxes weren't available in my area yet...I want a box in case a tropical system comes through and my Directv service isn't restored when power comes back.

Archived