UK and Ireland TV News information thread

cityprod

There's a lot due to happen in the next few months on British and Irish TV so rather than create several threads for each individual one, I thought I would create one thread and use it to keep you updated on developments.

The first of those is due to be some changes to GMTV, ITV1's breakfast television station. It's all supposed to be happening on Monday, but we'll wait and see.

Also due sometime this month, CNNI arrives on UK terrestrial platform Freeview, possibly with a new look primetime schedule too. Soon as I know more, I'll let you know.

TV3 in Ireland is getting a new logo Monday, in line with it's news logo.

RTÉ News is set to get a legit look (finally!) in February. Apparently they're expanding the studio by 75%, connecting it to the newsroom, and putting in a Sky News like RP screen. Every time I go over there, I just can't believe how pitiful it looks. Hopefully it'll be good.

TV3 in Ireland is getting a new logo Monday, in line with it's news logo.

RTÉ News is set to get a legit look (finally!) in February. Apparently they're expanding the studio by 75%, connecting it to the newsroom, and putting in a Sky News like RP screen. Every time I go over there, I just can't believe how pitiful it looks. Hopefully it'll be good.

RTE News is currently in Studio 2 at the moment, I believe, sharing it with Seoige & Soeige, an afternoon chat/magazine show, hosted by two sisters. There's a lot of work being done to Studio 3 in Donnybrook, Dublin 4. Apparently, it will be similar in style to Sky News UK and indeed to the WNBC studio in New York.

Related to the TV3 news is the fact that Channel 6 in Ireland is becoming known as 3e. The channel will be related to TV3 in the same way that E4 in the UK is related to Channel 4. 3e will obviously have a greater focus on Entertainment programming.

As for GMTV, Monday is confirmed as the day when the new look will begin. New studio set, and a new news set as well. Until now, GMTV has done news from a Chromakey/CSO sub-set within the main set. I hear that a new physical set will be in use for the news segments from Monday, so no more Chromakey.

Before:

[yt]XuIejTalKG4[/yt]

After:

[yt]chyJEDCsBMU[/yt]

[yt]Ldc0PzE84s0[/yt]

I think the "GMTV with Lorraine" theme is better. I never watched them much, usually watched Breakfast or Ireland AM.

CNN arrived on Freeview on Thursday, the same day that the plane fell into the Hudson. As I have seen CNNI on Sky, I knew what to expect, but it was nice to be able to watch on Freeview. I hope they get more hours soon.

Currently, Sky News is in a virtual studio. I hear there is work going on in the main studio, not sure what, but there has been talk of HD being the next big thing for Sky News, so we'll see.

RTE News is due to relaunch next month as well. Should be interesting to see what their new setup looks likem even though we already have a fair idea.

Oh and both TV3 and Channel 6, now 3e, have relaunched.

• 3 weeks later...

Sky News has changed studio sets, returning from its virtual studio B, into the new look studio A. I say new look, but some things are definitely unchanged such as the imposing prescence of the big videowall. There are now three mini-sets within the studio. One set is used for Sunrise and Jeff Randall Live. One set is used for Afternoon Live, and the infamous News Sport and Weather in 15 minutes, every 15 minutes. The third set is the main anchor desk, which is now circular and set up for just one anchor

It looks very good, even an improvement on the original look of Studio A.

We await the new RTE News look, and from next week, there will be changes to ITV News, although we are not expecting too much. The new regional news programmes begin rolling out next week, with the biggest changes happening the week after. And there are some rumours floating around that ITV's Lunchtime and Evening News programmes may see some changes next week too.

Also, a change is afoot for Channel 4 News as their weekend editions get regular slots and apparently a new look for them. No idea what will happen but we will find out.

The new RTE News studio is up. The graphics look REALLY nice, the set is an improvement, if a bit tacky. It's a ripoff of BBC News:

rte_news__20090209.jpg

rte_news__20090209_bafta.jpg

rte_news__20090209_ws.jpg

rte_news__20090209_cinnlinte.jpg

00020d3810d.jpg

Thanks to "Milktrolley" of TV Forum for the caps.

The theme is their radio station's 72 year old tuning signal. The graphics are 10000000x better than what they had before, apparently ViZRT. Nuacht/1pm/6.01pm have a weird newsroom backdrop, while the 9pm has a great city backdrop.

6.01pm News:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0209/6news_av.html

9pm News:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0209/9news_av.html

Archived